[WC] World Cup 2010 - General Talk Thread (12 Viewers)

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Just as I expected. All the neutrals agree that the match was kinda fair (equal amount of bad calls against both teams) and that Grey is right when he says that South Korea suffered from just as many bad calls on that match.
Case solved then. Lets move on to the next episode. Grosso.
Did he dive in 2006 and was Italy strongly favored during that WC?

Andy, Jack, Burke? What is your opinion about it. There is no doubt in my neutral mind that Australia was shamelessly robbed.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
the penalty against aus was 50/50 IMO

and most people commentating here are not neutrals..aka andy.

we were fucked over in 2002 just as spain were, not saying its a conspiracy but its the truth.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
the penalty against aus was 50/50 IMO

and most people commentating here are not neutrals..aka andy.

we were fucked over in 2002 just as spain were, not saying its a conspiracy but its the truth.
Yes, it's all good, but you're not neutral. You're an Aussie who doesn't mean Australia when he says "we".

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Too bad Croatia didn't get to the world cup like us. Get over it guys. Not like Modric and his army of minions would have added anything to this world cup :D

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Hello my neutral brother. I don't want to mention Istria and Italia irredenta in this debate, but we would appreciate your opinion.
:D

Grosso-Australia? That was blatant diving and case in point why the whole world sees Italy as a bunch of divers. The guy was already on the floor when Grosso decided to "trip" over his whole body.

My neutral opinion, of course.

juve2

Apr 16, 2010
Italy - South Korea in 2002 was a disgrace. Italy had a huge team and deserved to be atleast in the semi-finals. That game was daylight robbery, and I am not an Azzurri fan.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
No seriously, I really don't mind when people say WE about a NT that isn't their own. Actually, they support it so in a way it is their own team and it sometimes comes automatically to use "we" when talking about that NT. I found myself in situations when I used "we" for Juve and friends laughed at me. To me it was natural to say "we" about Juve, for them it was funny. Similar with the NTs. It comes naturally to use "we" for the NT you support.

But it's, imo, a little strange to talk in the same post about your own country and about Italy, and to use the country code abbreviation for your own country and "we" for Italy.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
No seriously, I really don't mind when people say WE about a NT that isn't their own. Actually, they support it so in a way it is their own team and it sometimes comes automatically to use "we" when talking about that NT. I found myself in situations when I used "we" for Juve and friends laughed at me. To me it was natural to say "we" about Juve, for them it was funny. Similar with the NTs. It comes naturally to use "we" for the NT you support.

But it's, imo, a little strange to talk in the same post about your own country and about Italy, and to use the country code abbreviation for your own country and "we" for Italy.
What if he's an Italian citizen? Salvo, are you an Italian citizen?

I lived my whole life apart from the past 8 years in the UAE. I never felt an Emirati (not that they were going to give me citizenship anyways). Always been Indian because my parents are Indian. Could be same about Salvo.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

I know absolutely what you mean. I was in the same situation, getting laughed at because of Juve and "We" and getting the third degree about "what is Juve to you, you're not Italian, you're not from Turin", etc. I can get that as well. I don't know how things turned out that way, but I never enjoyed our leauge to begin with. Out of spite, I support Hajduk just because all my friends are for Dinamo. To me Juve comes naturally.

But for the NT, I think it's absolutely different. NT means National team, your country, your people...clubs are city bound and can have numerous players from all over the world. There's a huge difference. I can relate to someone wishing Azzurri luck, or hoping they do good, but to think of themselves as a part of them, to call them we...is something I can not understand. Ever.

If you're Italian though, your parents born in Italy, but living in Australia is different thing and I believe that is the case when it comes to Salvo.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
What if he's an Italian citizen? Salvo, are you an Italian citizen?

I lived my whole life apart from the past 8 years in the UAE. I never felt an Emirati (not that they were going to give me citizenship anyways). Always been Indian because my parents are Indian. Could be same about Salvo.
I know.
But I believe he was born and raised in Australia. IIRC, Australian citizen, his parents or grandparents are Italian. He can correct me if I'm wrong. I think his Italian is not good either.

And it's fine. He can feel Italian and not an Aussie, it's his right. I just found it a little strange not to feel stronger connection to the only home country you ever knew than the one you feel to the country of your parents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)