[WC] Italia vs Ghana [12-06-2006] (8 Viewers)

juve2503

May 18, 2006
Hopefully they will play better then they did in the friendlies but they seemed like they weren't taking both games that seriously, so hopefully the Azzurri will turn on the heat in this game

FORZA AZZURRI

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
IMO this is Italy's most important game of the group stage. We all know that Lippi's men have the ability to beat anyone but if the Azzurri don't get a good result against Ghana the pressure will be on following the mediocre efforts against Switzerland and Ukraine. With Zambrotta out injured and Nesta and Totti not 100% the Italians need to get a morale boosting win on June 12th to get them in the right mental state, because physically they aren't there yet.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Stuart said:
IMO this is Italy's most important game of the group stage. We all know that Lippi's men have the ability to beat anyone but if the Azzurri don't get a good result against Ghana the pressure will be on following the mediocre efforts against Switzerland and Ukraine. With Zambrotta out injured and Nesta and Totti not 100% the Italians need to get a morale boosting win on June 12th to get them in the right mental state, because physically they aren't there yet.
Indeed. Thats the most important game IMO, If Lippi's men are able to win this game, then I guess It'll give them big push towards the USA and Czech game. If Italy were to draw this game, then the pressure will rise. But somehow, I'm confident of this Italy squad and of Lippi.

I'd start Totti(I guess It's time he gets his feet real) He had over 120min to prepare before the WorldCup. Grosso isn't doing bad Job, so I'm not that worry with Zamb's absence in the first game, I'm only worry about Nesta.

Hopefully everything can go well.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Stuart said:
It seems that Oddo will be replacing Zambrotta in the squad. I read today that Zambrotta's injury is long and he won't be able to play. One less reason for me to follow the Italians.

Forza Ghana!!

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Alessandro, you'd better be good this time. I've had just about enough of your big stage performances.

Geof

May 14, 2004
Marcello Lippi has hinted that Daniele Bonera could replace the injured Gianluca Zambrotta in the World Cup.

With the Juventus full-back out of action for possibly the first two games due to a thigh strain, Lippi has tested out Massimo Oddo and Cristian Zaccardo at right-back and Fabio Grosso on the left, without a great deal of success.

“Bonera will also be at the Coverciano training ground on Monday, seeing as Zambrotta’s condition isn’t good. We’ll know more after Tuesday’s tests and will make a decision by June 11.”

The Azzurri open their campaign against Ghana on June 12. Their other Group E opponents are USA and the Czech Republic.

It’s an important decision, as Parma defender Bonera is not in the official World Cup squad, so if he were to be included, it would mean the end of Zambrotta’s tournament.

Bonera would be a valuable alternative at the back, as he can play in central defence, right or left positions.

Zambrotta isn’t Lippi’s only concern, as Alessandro Nesta limped off during the 0-0 draw with Ukraine suffering from a recurring thigh problem.

“He had a twinge in the same muscle that gave him trouble last week and I hope he’ll be back in shape soon. After the tournament kicks off, there’ll be a game every five days, so it’s not easy to recover.”

The performances against Switzerland and Ukraine this week disappointed the media in Italy, but Lippi maintains it was important to extend their 18-match unbeaten run.

“I like to underline how much these lads don’t want to lose. When you’re not 100 per cent fit, it’s possible you’ll struggle, as we did in the second half. This is when you bring out your character, which I’m glad to say this side has in abundance.”

There are question marks over several of the players, although the Coach continued to defend them against criticism.

“I liked the way Alessandro Del Piero played, and we all know Francesco Totti is improving with each passing day. With Massimo Oddo at right-back we were able to get more crosses in than against Switzerland, which is helpful when you’ve got Luca Toni and Alberto Gilardino upfront.”

The high point of the evening appeared to be the improved form of Andrea Pirlo, who has been struggling badly for several months at Milan and international level.

“Pirlo was better, yes, but I liked all the lads. We couldn’t score hatfuls of goals against opponents who will also be taking part in the World Cup. It’s a gradual process at this stage, as it would be a mistake to be at our peak on June 12. If we want to go all the way to the Final, the squad has to hit its best form halfway through the competition.”

mnementh

Jun 5, 2005
Seven said:
Alessandro, you'd better be good this time. I've had just about enough of your big stage performances.
that's just not nice. The stigma that Del Piero is doing badly in the tournaments is wrong !!!! I still don't understand how people found a blame in the guy in 2002 for example , geeeeeeeeeeeeeeez :faq1:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)