[WC] Germany vs Italy [04-07-2006] (11 Viewers)

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
- vOnAm - said:
Thats exactly why I praise Lippi so much.....

The two aggressive substitution tactics he has made in this World Cup is just so brilliant...

I think against Germany he threw in those strikers just for that purpose, to create a bit of confusion and uncetainty for the German players, and also to give a moral boost to Italy's players by saying that we could win it...
Italy are certainly not a Kamikaze team, but boy u couldn't have known at all by watching last nights game...

very risky move from Lippi but at the same time he needed his best PK kickers to have a shot at beating the German bold mentality in taking PK
Lippi knows no fear, he knows it is either do or die.
He transformed Italy into a team which is so destructive, and leave the tired German defence groundless. I think that Lippi is telling the boys not to goive up till the final whistle is blown. Lippi has totally changed the face of Italy NT, from boring defensive play to thrilling attacks while brings excitement.

Lippi from (start of game)

----------------------Toni-----------------
------------------Totti--------------------
Perrotta - Gattuso - Pirlo - Camoranesi
Grosso - Matrix -Canna- Zambrotta
-------------------Buffon----------------

to

Del Piero - Gilardino - Totti - Iaquinta
------------ Gattuso - Pirlo-------------

at the 104th minute

About this idea of being risky, I think Lippi really did consider his choices b4 making such a bold move. He is sure that his players can handle the newly introduced duo Schweinsteiger and Odonkor, and the German defence has been shaky, or should I say, substandard all game long, so he introduced Iaquinta, an unknown, and Del Piero to let them think about how they go on their attack. That is y he chose Italy to take that risk so late in the game (unlike Gigi Del Neri's 4-2-4, which leaves defence seriously exposed). The purpose of Gilardino is to provide fresh legs for Toni as we already known.

I feel that there is something in Lippi which the other coaches don't have. He makes the differences at the right time (like changing Zambrotta from a RW to a LB), dunno if I used the word "courageous" correctly.

Having said, Materazzi has a good game again, now the critics will shut up and treat him with the deserved respect.

Buy on AliExpress.com

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
ZhiXin said:
I know that Iaquinta can run very fast, but I didn't know that he provides an added dimension to the squad.

I'm certain of DP's purpose on the squad, but Iaquinta's is still a bit mind baffling to be honest. Probably which is why Lippi preferred Iaquinta to Lucarelli all game long.

Totti breakthrough and pass to Gilardino ----> Gilardino runs, holds up the ball, acts as a dummy for defenders and pass to DP -----> DP scores, no chance for Lehmann, who was left agonised
Lucarelli didn't make the world cup team...im thinking u meant why Lippi didn't take him to the WC?

anyways, with the players Lippi had, having no wingers there wasn't much else he could have done with his substitution...
Another solution would have to bring in a RB to make way for Zambo going forward, but that would be much too risky..

The way I see it Lippi brought Iaquinta to:
1. make those runs and dribbles and provide more for the German defense to think about as they have only been thinking about stopping 1 striker all game long...
2. Possible penalty taker for if the game goes on to penalties...thats partially why he brought on DP for Perrotta when Totti looked even more tired...but they needed Totti, Pirlo, DP if they want to have a chance at beating Germany in PK, Iaquinta would probably have been one of the five taking it...

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
ZhiXin said:
Lippi knows no fear, he knows it is either do or die.
He transformed Italy into a team which is so destructive, and leave the tired German defence groundless. I think that Lippi is telling the boys not to goive up till the final whistle is blown. Lippi has totally changed the face of Italy NT, from boring defensive play to thrilling attacks while brings excitement.

Lippi from (start of game)

----------------------Toni-----------------
------------------Totti--------------------
Perrotta - Gattuso - Pirlo - Camoranesi

to

Del Piero - Gilardino - Totti - Iaquinta
------------ Gattuso - Pirlo-------------

at the 104th minute

Having said, Materazzi has a good game again, now the critics will shut up and treat him with the deserved respect.
i saw it more of a 2-2-2-4, with totti and DP alittle bit deeper in midfield...

But lippi didn't have a chance anyways..i mean not bringing in Iaquinta and DP would probably mean a loss for Italy at PK....
but surely there were plenty of momments where it was 4-2-4, when they all commited themselves to attack..which is rare for italian teams...

I mean there was just no midfield for some parts of the extra time, end to end stuff which was nervewracking..

GRK

Guitar God
Oct 19, 2004
Italy played amazing and deserved to win!
Forza Italia!

And Del Piero made me proud to be a Del Piero fan, as usual.

JuveGER

Mar 10, 2006
Wow, that was really special. I watched my home country facing my favourite country together with hundreds of other German students at the university. And I was the only one cheering for Italy. I saw one person with an italian shirt (not jersey) before the game, but the rest was all black, red and gold. I was really nervous and my friend who knew that I was cheering for Italy always made fun of me. In the end I ran around the place, because I could not stand on my place. I screamed when Italy hit post and bar, I cheered (lonely) loud when Grosso scored and almost cried when my favourite player of all time scored. But I didn't celebrate too long since it was really heart breaking to see all the others Germans with their destroyed dreams. The atmosphere through this world cup was really special for Germany. I wish this would have been the final and there would have been one more party after beating Portugal or France in the semifinal. (AND DAMN WHERE ARE ALL THOSE HOT GERMAN GIRLS WHEN THERE IS NO WORLD CUP AROUND??????).

In the end Italy deserved to come through and I hope Cannavaro (FUSSBALLGOTT!), the best player of this tournament will hold the cup in Berlin.

Alex 2002

Sep 22, 2002
JuveGER said:
Wow, that was really special. I watched my home country facing my favourite country together with hundreds of other German students at the university. And I was the only one cheering for Italy. I saw one person with an italian shirt (not jersey) before the game, but the rest was all black, red and gold. I was really nervous and my friend who knew that I was cheering for Italy always made fun of me. In the end I ran around the place, because I could not stand on my place. I screamed when Italy hit post and bar, I cheered (lonely) loud when Grosso scored and almost cried when my favourite player of all time scored. But I didn't celebrate too long since it was really heart breaking to see all the others Germans with their destroyed dreams. The atmosphere through this world cup was really special for Germany. I wish this would have been the final and there would have been one more party after beating Portugal or France in the semifinal. (AND DAMN WHERE ARE ALL THOSE HOT GERMAN GIRLS WHEN THERE IS NO WORLD CUP AROUND??????).

In the end Italy deserved to come through and I hope Cannavaro (FUSSBALLGOTT!), the best player of this tournament will hold the cup in Berlin.
Completely, agree. Bonn city in NRW was empty after the game. Usually there were 1000s of people singing "Berlin! Berlin! Wir fahren hach Betlin!". But yesterday after the game it was empty.

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
Aug 1, 2002
Thank You Grosso Thank You Ale
I never doubted you and you always knew how to stick it to your critics.
Forza Azzurri

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
THE CHAMPIONS said:
man u really dont know much about football! If we played with this formation then we are fucked,Germany play with 4 half defenders on the same line they will control the pitch & will stop Camo & pirlo from assisting the strikers & toni & gilardino will be alone upfront & we will lose control of the game completely.Anyway I am really glad u r not italy's coach!
Please don't ever say again that we have issues cos we do not. I do not agree with you , never have and never will, in fact i hardly read your posts , if not the fatc that i read sateeh's posts, i would have no idea you wrote what you wrote. Let us take a backward step a bit, you spent the whole season praising Capello and now whats happened, he has left us in a lurch and he might be seen next at Madrid. You kept telling us how great Zlatan was and what happened? He did sweet Fa in the wc. You only blame Dp when things go wrong and we all know what has happened?
Pirlo played the most effective ball of the match and from what position? Gilardino was brilliant at holding the ball was he not? Football is not always won from who starts but usually which players finish the game.
Anyways I am done with you, you can insult me from Cairo to Wadi Halfa , you got my permission to do so but don't say we got issues.

WERE YOU WATCHING WERE YOU WATCHING WERE YOU WATCHING CAPELLO, WERE YOU WATCHING CAPELLO?
Thats how to make substitutions to win matches, magnificent by Lippi
Everybody was brilliant for the Azzurri , Cannavaro should be voted European player of the year as he was great again. Pirlo was excellent. Gatusso was restrained as i think he was kinda worried about his yellow but he played very well. Totti started very well but faded as could be expected. Camoranesi was alright. Iaquinta and Grosso put in their best performances to date. What a gola by Grosso. Materazzi did alright but did show signs of a brittle nature by committing some unwarrannted fouls and was kinda lucky to escpae without a card. Buffon performed as we know he can. Zambrotta was restrained too.Dp took his goal brilliantly and i am ecstatic for him as some might have blamed him again if he missed. The way he ran from his own box to join up with Gilardino was first class, Gilardino's pass was absolutely superb and Italy are thru to the final

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)