[WC] Germany vs Italy [04-07-2006] (2 Viewers)

mnementh

Jun 5, 2005
serfaraaz said:
lets hope dp will be played
:) Amen to that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pint: :pint: :pint:

Btw, whatever Italy does.... it should never go to penalties, and especially not against Germany. Germany has the best penalties record in the WC, Italy is among the worst. Usually, these stats don't mean much, but with the germans they proved they still have the penalties mentlality vs argentina. no thanks.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
This is the game where Italy faces a really strong opponent, I'm quite surprised and pleased at how Germany plays under Klinsmann as he has created an attack spark in the team. This German side comprises of young and the experienced, with a creative force in the park. I'm sure Klinsmann has learnt his lesson during the friendly and this game will not be as easy as ever. Toni will have trouble dealing with Metelzder and Mertesacker, while Italy's defence has to keep out Ballack, Klose and Podolski. So I would say this is a very even game, with both sides having chances to advance to the final.

But this is what Germany will go for

-----------Podolski - Klose
Schweinsteiger - Frings - Ballack - Schiender
---Lahm - Metezlder - Mertesacker - Friedrich
---------------------Lehmann-----------------

Formation: 4-4-2

Substitutes: Borowski
Neuville (to kill off the game with his speed and experience)

A tight game for both sides

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
This will be a tight game, no doubt. Hopefully Italy have enough in them to go the distance but really and truly this one can go either way.

Alfio_87

Nov 21, 2005
italy dont have the best stats playing againest host nations of late! France98 korea 02....too sides that will b tooo afraid to loose penalities!

Hennes

Sep 3, 2004
Such an amazing story-line :thumbs:
I want this to happen...with all my :heart2: !

Cannavaro looking to get 100th cap in final

Associated Press

HAMBURG, Germany (AP) - If Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro keeps playing this well, he could be making his 100th international appearance in the most special game of all.

Oliver Hinz | Jamie Trecker
Nick Webster | Bobby McMahon

Cannavaro made his 98th appearance Friday with a typically rugged and gifted defensive display to help Italy to a 3-0 win over Ukraine and a place in the World Cup semifinals against Germany.
If Italy keep on winning, he would win his 100th cap in the July 9 final.
Playing almost as an old-fashioned sweeper, Cannavaro's anticipation and vision made lauded Ukraine striker Andriy Shevchenko look sluggish.
Ukraine's other striker, Artem Milevskiy is 15 centimeters (six inches) taller than Cannavaro but was still out-jumped by the Juventus player.
Cannavaro is such a defender that he has only scored once since making his debut in 1997. He has been captain since the 2002 World Cup and, at 32, is unlikely to be playing at the next tournament.
Cannavaro spent most of Friday's game shadowing Shevchenko, who he has faced off against many times in Serie A during a career that has included spells with Napoli, Parma, Inter and Juve.
Shevchenko signed for Chelsea earlier this month after seven years at AC Milan.
Short and squat in a position dominated by the tallest players on the field, Cannavaro was even looking for a goal against Ukraine, jogging into the opposition penalty area at set pieces to try his luck.
His lack of height paid dividends in Italy's second goal. Unmarked from a corner, Cannavaro couldn't reach the ball and the 19-centimeter (8-inch) taller Luca Toni headed in from behind him with ease.
Once voted Italy's sexiest man, Cannavaro has faced many sterner tests than Friday's match.
Tuesday's semifinal in Dortmund against Germany, with its large, powerful and quick strikers, will test his foresight and interception skills to the limit.
Ukraine had little to disturb Cannavaro, even though his regular defensive partner Alessandro Nesta sat out the game because of injury and was replaced by Andrea Barzagli.
The build up to Germany 2006 has been far from ideal for Cannavaro, with his club Juventus at the center of a soccer corruption scandal. Cannavaro has had to read accusations that he was ordered to play poorly in the build up to his transfer from Inter to Juventus two years ago.
Some critics said before the World Cup that he should resign as captain because of his alleged involvement.
"That really hurt me and made me think a lot. I've always had great values in soccer and my daily life," Cannavaro said. "To hear your reputation being discussed like that really bothered me. The only way I can make people understand who I am is by showing them on the field, and fortunately that's where I perform best."

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Canna: We're climbing gears Saturday 1 July, 2006
Fabio Cannavaro and Gigi Buffon hailed their teammates and claim the side is getting stronger all the time going into the semi-final with Germany.

“We’ve come this far and believe in our abilities, so we can certainly dream of reaching the Final,” said the captain. “Every member of this squad has contributed and proved themselves, so now that Alessandro Nesta and Marco Materazzi will return to the fold, we’ll be stronger than ever.”

The Azzurri have dealt with a succession of injuries and bans, but third-choice centre-back Andrea Barzagli played very well in the 3-0 quarter-final win over the Ukraine.

“It all becomes easier at the back when the whole team keeps working hard. Barzagli is a youngster of real quality and we all just told him to relax. He hasn’t had too many opportunities to shine for Italy yet, but he is the future of this side.”

Juventus captain Cannavaro was the instigator behind the flag all the Azzurri waved at the final whistle in dedication to Gianluca Pessotto, who is in hospital after an apparent suicide attempt.

“It was my idea for the flag because he’s fighting for his life now and we all feel very close to his family at this time. He’s stronger than he thinks and can win this battle.”

There were some nervous moments at the back, but Buffon performed some crucial saves during the 20-minute spell at the start of the second half.

“It’s interesting to note we’ve only conceded one goal. My teammates have done a great job, but we were also a little lucky in this game,” said the goalkeeper. “Barzagli’s performance and Massimo Oddo’s World Cup debut shows the unity in this side.”

The Juventus star risked injury when he bravely got down to turn a header out, hitting his head on the upright in the process.

“My best saves of the tournament have been on Pavel Nedved in the Czech match and today I needed to be brave and concentrated. My head is slightly swollen, but thankfully it’s hidden under the hair!” :lol:

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Gattuso slams German media Saturday 1 July, 2006
Gennaro Gattuso has revived the row with German newspaper 'Der Spiegel’ and revealed the reasons behind his scintillating form.

The Azzurri responded angrily this week to an editorial in the local media calling Italians 'parasites, Mamma’s boys and slimy.’ “We’ve been here for three weeks and I have to say the German people have been charming and very polite,” said Gattuso.

“I don’t know if the editor of Der Spiegel has some sort of problem because he got beaten up by an Italian as a child or his wife has been cheating on him with an Italian Stallion. I can’t explain it otherwise! That article offended my father and every other Italian who worked hard for low pay. Germany has given Italians work in the past, but our countrymen put in the effort and earned their wages.”

The Milan midfielder had struggled this season at club level, but has found his form for the World Cup after recovering from an injury.

“I’ve been training regularly with the team and playing without anti-inflammatory drugs, which is why my form has improved, but the whole side is doing better. We play with heart and achieve the objectives we set ourselves. The medical staff has been wonderful and I still work three hours more than my teammates to ensure my thigh problem is kept at bay. Everyone knows I’m not afraid of hard slog and will always give everything for the Azzurri shirt.”

He was named FIFA Man of the Match in the 3-0 quarter-final victory over the Ukraine last night and is thoroughly enjoying this tournament as Italy enter the last four.

“This is a dream for me that just keeps on going. I never thought I’d have the chance to be a key figure in a World Cup. That’s why I don’t want to close my eyes! I have to experience every moment in all its glorious detail. I hope to give this award to Gianluca Pessotto, as his gesture shocked us and we are eager to embrace him again.”

He took on Rossoneri teammate Andriy Shevchenko in Hamburg and also complimented Coach Marcello Lippi for the Azzurri’s performance in Germany.

“There were no doubts that Shevchenko is a great man and player. We spoke briefly and complimented each other, but all over the field there was mutual respect. The team is very much built in Lippi’s image, as we fight hard for 90 minutes and bring home the result. We’re repeatedly changed the system over the past few games based on studying our opponents and it has worked well.”

Gattuso’s eyes are already on Tuesday’s semi-final against World Cup hosts Germany. “I’m not afraid of Ballack, but I respect him and have faced him many times when Milan took on Bayern Munich. I have two legs and so does he.”

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Totti sets eyes on Final Saturday 1 July, 2006
Francesco Totti’s confidence is growing and he believes Italy can push their way past Germany on Tuesday.

“We tried to make the game easy, but knew we were facing a very organised side. We played very well, closing down the spaces and were only fortunate once when Gianluca Zambrotta made a goalline clearance. For the rest of it, I’d say we were in control,” he said after the 3-0 quarter-final win over the Ukraine.

Andriy Shevchenko’s side only really seemed to cause problems for a brief period after the restart, in which Gianluigi Buffon was forced into some tough saves and a Gusin header hit the bar.

“Let’s say we weren’t quite as focused as we should’ve been in those 10 minutes, but overall we dominated. As I was being man-marked for most of the game, I tried to pass the ball around and create space for the midfielders to come forward.”

Totti’s presence in the squad was the subject of controversy as he took time to hit form after three months out with a fractured ankle.

“I am match fit now and happy with my performance, although there’s still room for improvement. It’s good to know I’m starting to do my trademark tricks, as that means I’m back to my old self. When I went to take the penalty against Australia, I was already thinking about my celebration, as I was so certain of scoring.”

Totti ended his drought in the second round with a crunch penalty and now Fiorentina’s Luca Toni has also broken his duck with a brace.

“We were all waiting for Toni’s goal, as he’d played very well in this World Cup and was only missing a name on the scoresheet. Now he’s broken through, we expect many more important strikes from him.”

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Jeeks said:
Very probable, Lippi will go into the game with extreme caution.

TBH, thats not a very attacking line-up. I think this 4-4-1-1 could see Italy returning home...Germany are hosting this game, I expect them to attack most of the time and each one of their players putting atleast 110%..So If Lippi's boys were to defend then I'd say Adios Amigo.

Lippi better eat them before they kill the game.

That said playing with 2strikers upfront(Toni-Inzaghi) or (Toni-Del Piero) and behind them Totti.

Buffon
Zambrotta-Matrix-Canna-Grosso
Camo-Gattuso-Pirlo
Totti
Toni-Del Piero

Attack...Attack...Attack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)