• Germany

• Costa Rica

• Poland

• Ecuador

Results are only viewable after voting.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
sateeh said:
well i read somewhere that the costa rican coach says they can make some suprises in this group, so he has some high hopes for u guys espectro.

on another topic, Ballack is not playing the japan game. he is still injured in his ankle or something. I hope Phillip lahm is fit to play though.
ballack played against japan

Buy on AliExpress.com

gaspipe

Eavesdropper
Nov 6, 2005
they played crap :cry: I mean Poland. I think they were overtrained. Colombia was faster and more accurate than we. Costa Ricans and Equador aren't bad teams so i'm really afraid. We'll see. 10 days left :)

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Manschaft came back to a 2-2 draw against the Japs last nite. I didnt see that match but both the japanese goal came from the midfield losing the ball infront of the 18 yard box.

It looks like that Lehmann had a big game and saved more than a couple of goals. although the goals came in after metzelder was off the field but they werent that solid to begin with. Merterascker had no understanding with Nowotony. Schneider cant play at RB.

In the midfield Klinsi played both Ballack and Borowski in the midfield, so one of them had to play in the right which limited their abilities to some extent. Frings was inreliable again in midfield, so Klinsi should really consider using Kehl from the begining.
Also David Odonoker played his first game in german colours when he came in for Borowski and did well on the right hand of the midfield.
Schweni was again the best on field for the manschaft.

Podolski and klose didnt have much service to work for them, so nothing on them.

Many things to work on the for the coach, especially to find the right combination of players, and the defence.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
german did well againt columbia last nite in their last friendly before the finals.

the good note is that team as a whole played well and created oppotunities all over the game. Schweni continues to prove he is germany's hope in the WC.

the negative is that the forwards r missing sitters and jens lehmann was not in his best

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #45
    I think Metzelder and Mertesacker should be the starters. I noticed a problem in the squad, they lack depth on the back flanks. Don't they have only Friedrich and Lahm?

Again I ask, why was Neuville called up?

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
    Jeeks said:
    I think Metzelder and Mertesacker should be the starters. I noticed a problem in the squad, they lack depth on the back flanks. Don't they have only Friedrich and Lahm?

Again I ask, why was Neuville called up?
    i agree abt the CB situation, merterasker just needs a bit of confidence and Metzy is the only reliable CB in the squad.

abt the flanks there is marcell jansen there as well, he plays in LB. Klinsi also play Hitzlperger in the LB position, i dont know why he does that..mybe cuz he is thinking of converting lahm to the right..but i dont think that would happen. I really wanted Klinsi to give Andreas Hinkel another shot in the RB position as he is better option offensively than Arne Fredirich.But the coach didnt have any confidence in Hinkel although he always shows great promise. Ppl may remember him from the Brazil Germany friendly a while back when Klinsi first took charge.He came in and set up a goal and played fantastically.

Neuville is a good call up imo. He is better than Kevin Kuranyi and although i would've preffered Benny Lauth to be given a chance, but to be fair Oliver had a much better season and Lauth only had a good half season.
    I wanted to see them both there and Asamoah dropped. He doesnt add much to the team. Same goes to Mike Hanke, who cant play in the first game

I think Bastian Deisler injury's caused a problem as David Odoknor could've been called up as a striker instead of a RM

did u watch the game ?

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
    looks like ballack is struggling with his old calf injury as he didnt train yesterday.
    The german camp said that there was nothing to be concerned about, and he didnt train cuz the team was doing sprints or something.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Germany really should win this group but it would not surprise me if any of the other teams comes second. Hopefully for Poland , they will be better than they were in 2006 than in 2002 ditto for Ecuador. So many matches here are not enticing for the neutrals only for the locals

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Ballack to miss opener
    June 8, 2006

Germany captain Michael Ballack will miss the host's World Cup curtain-raiser against Costa Rica on Friday.

The Chelsea midfielder sustained a calf injury in a friendly against Colombia on 2 June and was forced to withdraw from training on Wednesday.

Germany coach Jurgen Klinsmann said: "He's our leader and our skipper and we hoped to have him available.

"But it's a pity not a problem. We're in great shape without him."

Klinsmann has stuck by his policy of not selecting anyone who could not train 48 hours before a match.

"It's more important for us to get him back in shape so that he can rejoin practice and get in shape for the next matches," Klinsmann added.

www.worldsoccer.com

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
    big loss, but i like Borowski and he should do well in Ballack's position.
    Look out for schweni i think he is the key for this germany team

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Ballack has apparently declared himself fit to start but I got it from eurosport.com which is not responsible

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #54
    I heard it in Euronews that he will at least be on the bench.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    The reasons i am sceptical with eurosport is that with british europsort 1 & 2, so many times they have given misinfos like when on their live score update they had in tennis Nadal leading a certain opponent 4-2 , that would have been fine but the only problem was that that particular match was played 3 days before and also another live update on a spanish match which took place 4 days ago. They can be unreliable to be honest

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #57
    Lineups for the opening game:

Germany
    Jens Lehmann
    Philipp Lahm
    Arne Friedrich
    Christoph Metzelder
    Per Mertesacker
    Torsten Frings
    Bastian Schweinsteiger
    Tim Borowski
    Lukas Podolski
    Bernd Schneider
    Miroslav Klose

Costa Rica:
    Jose Porras
    Leonardo Gonzalez
    Gilberto Martinez
    Michael Umana
    Luis Marin
    Danny Fonseca
    Mauricio Solis
    Walter Centeno
    Douglas Sequeira
    Ronald Gomez
    Paulo Wanchope

Wise choice from Jürgen for chising Mertesacker and Metzelder as the defending pair. Looking back at the german team, I expect a lot from the back four as they offer a lot of stability and options forward.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    mods, are we going to open a live thread for world cup specially? i know we have the group threads but if we comment during the match it might be too full. Like with juve games.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    btw the game has been pretty good. but germany really need to improve their defens if they want to win the world cup. anyway the first goal was very good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)