Wales vs Italy (1 Viewer)

Bongiovi

Jul 12, 2002
I only saw highlights, but I think this is the time for Trap to bow out gracefully before he gets kicked out......Italy seem to be getting worse, and how on earth can he say he was satisfied by that performance.....for the sake of the players he needs to go...never mind trying to blame it on the injury crisis....

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by modan ] ++
the coach really does matter alot actually, even if a team has very high quality and great players, it is quite impossible for them to push and get a goal

take holland, under van gaal, they can't even qualify for the WC even though they have some of the BEST players in the world... but now a new coach took over, look how they have been steamrolling their opponents

france, full of great quality players, but can't even score a goal but now under santini, they are able to trash everyone in their group...

chievo, bunch of average players, achieved top 5 position last season under del neri

germany...average players but were 2nd in the world cup...

so i say, sack trap and replace with coaches like del neri, zoff maybe a good idea...and some attacking minded coaches
i agre totally! :thumb:

MCPIERO

Jul 23, 2002
Pirlo is a very gifted player! The way he takes the ball into his stride and spins away! He is also a poof as are most of Italys players! They get brushed off 2 easily! DP can hold his own against the biggest of CB but not on his own! Montella cant deal with the physical aspect at all! Italy got what was coming! I dont like to just blame the coach, even though he makes thick choices! The players got done by Wales:D The defence were kicking the ball out everytime they got it! Italy have shit wingbacks! We dont have a Carlos or Cafu! I want the team to play with 3 defenders again and have Left and Right midfielders! Anyways looking forward to see who will be the next boss..Peace:cool:

nina

Feb 18, 2001
++ [ originally posted by modan ] ++
the coach really does matter alot actually, even if a team has very high quality and great players, it is quite impossible for them to push and get a goal

take holland, under van gaal, they can't even qualify for the WC even though they have some of the BEST players in the world... but now a new coach took over, look how they have been steamrolling their opponents

france, full of great quality players, but can't even score a goal but now under santini, they are able to trash everyone in their group...

chievo, bunch of average players, achieved top 5 position last season under del neri

germany...average players but were 2nd in the world cup...

so i say, sack trap and replace with coaches like del neri, zoff maybe a good idea...and some attacking minded coaches

I know the coach matters a lot and I didn't say that it's not Trap's fault, of course it is, but the players helped to a bad performance as well!

France couldn't score a goal because Zidane was not in the team. Why do you think they are playing brilliantly now? Because he's on form and literally flying all over the pitch. They had the same problem in WC as we do now, the balls didn't came to the forwards, cause there was noone in the middle to distribute them.

As for Germany, they don't have a top team, true, but they have some extraordinary individuals who are a great help (Kahn, Ballack to name a few). Something we used to have as well! Still do, but they are not called (Baggio, Fiore, ...).

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Well, i don't think Baggio is really good enough to get a starting place, but Fiore for sure

----------------------------------Buffon---------------------------------
---------Cannavaro-----------Nesta-----------Iuliano--------------
Zambrotta---------Tacchinardi----Fiore----------------------Coco
----------------------------------Totti-----------------------------------
---------------------------Vieri---------DelPiero-----------------------

howz this?
not sure bout nesta, but he'll have to do, can't think of better for now

Bongiovi

Jul 12, 2002
If your talkin about the picture then I know....its awful isn't it!!, I think the worst picture I've ever seen of him!!!!...everytime I look at it I always think I've gotta change it.....but then I always forget!....

If your saying the man himelf sucks....do you wanna fight?!!!!..haha

Nina us girls have to stick together!!!!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Nina, I don't watch the games but it's my general opinion that the coach can and should make all the difference. It's clear that these players got it, they just don't show it. As promising as this team looked during qualifying, it totally sucks now. So what is the difference, I would suggest mentality. And playing half the team out of position, making some of the worst selections it's quite clear that he doesn't know what he's doing. By that despite the interviews, I would pretty much bet the players have lost confidence in him as well but what can they say, he's a legendary coach.. Of course the players should perform but when nothing is going their way it doesn't help, there is no light in the tunnel. Maybe I'm overdoing it here but it certainly seems to me that is the case currently.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
You know they pretty much are at the lowest point, so I don't think they (the players) would have spoken good about Trap only for the sake of him being a legendary coach. They obviously have some trust. And I don't want to hear the if they speak bad about him, they wouldn't be in the team excuse, cause I really can't imagine him leaving at home the players right before the ferocious eyes of Ita media and co.

And I would like a list of those 5 players who were played out of their position in these 3 qualifiying matches.

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
why not capello will train italy, or maybe even scolari.
trapatoni is a respected coach with many awards... but everyone knows today is different from the past and trapatoni is the problem- italian football association have to understand that.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Trapatoni should go no doubt in my mind but a few things should be addressed seriuosly and we all should take a few moments to analyse things

I am of the belief that too many azzuri players are overrated and look good at club maybe because of the the foreign players in their sides

Lets face it the last time Italy played well was against Romania in Bucharest and that was ages ago, every single game they have played since then , they have been from average to awful

I also saw the under21 side and they were just as bad against a Wales team who have not won in 6 years with noone standing out performance wise , just winning thru a mistake by the Wales defender

Nesta seems to be on a downward spiral but he is still a star performer, its the others I am worried about, Cannavaro is always excellent for Italy so no worries there

As for full backs and back up for Nesta and Cannavaro, there is NOONE, might be hard to believe but it is true

In the midfield, Pirlo was a major disappoinment in both games, Doni was totally hopeless and maybe not of International class but he may be of serieA class and Totti is the only one I will call genuine quality as whether you like him or not, he is the only one who can pass the ball quickly to the attack with one pass, to create a goal scoring opportunity, Pirlo seems to prefer being in front of the defence not behind the front 2

Tomassi, Di Biagio, Gatusso are not good enough at this level

Ambrosini may be a tad over rated as I kept on reading how wonderful this guy is but he is just a notch above those 3

As a holding midfieder, noone holds a candle to Albertini and there are no viable options as the rest are either over rated or not good enough

Strikers , I agree with whoever wrote that Montella and Dp is a terrible combo against physical defenders as Montella does not have the pace or power, or even the ability like Inzaghi to get behind defenders

Having said all this Yugoslavia and Wales, should not be giving Italy problems so Trap should go as he always does the wrong things and modern football has passed him by

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
this is one of the few times i'm agree with you, at least in most things.
italy don't have problems in attack. the real problem is the midfield- no creative player that can change games results with a magical touch, all the time is this tactic, tactic and yes... tactic over and over again. so trapatoni allways take the players that can listen to his tactic instructions and complete them, but he forget football has changed and tactic is not all!!! so the midfield keeps playing tactic and tactic and this system failes so no opportunities to the stikers. only free kick del piero goals that is surely the one who manage to play well.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by nina ] ++
You know they pretty much are at the lowest point, so I don't think they (the players) would have spoken good about Trap only for the sake of him being a legendary coach. They obviously have some trust. And I don't want to hear the if they speak bad about him, they wouldn't be in the team excuse, cause I really can't imagine him leaving at home the players right before the ferocious eyes of Ita media and co.

And I would like a list of those 5 players who were played out of their position in these 3 qualifiying matches.
These aren't all my opinions to defend, but when you hear similar things said by various people you start to think maybe there's some truth to it. I only saw Italy at the WC and I was terribly unimpressed at the time so that's all I've seen on my own.

Out of position.. Is this the lineup from last night?
Buffon; Panucci, Cannavaro, Nesta, Zauri; Pirlo; Tommasi, Ambrosini, Di Biagio; Montella, Del Piero.

Depsite Ancelotti's best efforts, Pirlo is no defensive midfielder. I guess that is the only one here. But tactically this can't be a great selection, how can you play 4 defenders, 1 defensive mid and 3 more defensive midfielders? Where is the offensive pressure?

A belief you may not share, I think the coach is to be held responsible for the results of the team. That's the risk you take saying yes to the job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)