Not open for further replies.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
An old article:

1 May 2007, by Marco

Pacos de Ferreira’s Antunes triggers seven-club race for signature
Scouts from all over Europe tracking left-back

acos de Ferreira left-back Antunes is creating a buzz all over Europe with a host of clubs from the Old Continent taking a strong interest in the young Portuguese defender.

The latest clubs to have had their heads turned by the 20-year-old are Aston Villa and Auxerre. Scouts from both clubs were spotted taking in Pacos’ game against Uniao de Leiria on Friday.

Not only were representatives from the English and French clubs present, but emissaries from Celta de Vigo and Salamanca were also in the stands watching the game.

The Spanish clubs have gone one step further than their European counterparts as they were spotted speaking to the Portuguese under-21 international’s agent, Amaro Valente. Another La Liga side, Atletico Madrid, have also asked for information about the player.

It will be interesting this summer to see where the former Freamunde player ends up as Benfica, FC Porto and Anderlecht all showed interest long before any of the other clubs mentioned above entered into the fray.

In other club news, AEK Athens are rumoured to be taking a good look at central defender, Luiz Carlos, and goalkeeper, Pecanha. Contact has been established as regards Pecanha and it may be just a matter of time before a deal is thrashed out.

This would not be the first time that the Greek side would be dipping into the Portuguese market, as they secured Manduca from Benfica last summer on a loan, and are looking to sign him permanently at the end of the season.

-portugoal.net

-------

If all this is true and all these teams were tied to him and that we got him, I'm seriously surprised and I wonder what they're offering him or if he's a Juve fan or something.

------------

I found another article saying that he's already signed with us apparently:

Antunes finalement à Turin ?

Le défenseur portugais, Vitorino Antunes, convoité par Saint-Etienne ne devrait pas rejoindre la France la saison prochaine.

Le latéral gauche de 20 ans s'est mis d'accord avec la Juventus de Turin sur un futur contrat.

Il attend désormais que son club, le Paços de Ferreira et la Juve, se mettent d'accord sur l'indemnité de transfert...

Dimanche 10 juin 2007, par E.R

-lemercato.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I talked to a Porto fan regarding this guy, and apparently Antunes is quite the talent. At 19 he was perhaps the best left-back in the league, while undoubtedly being the best attacking left-back in the league. He said that Antunes has a cannon of a left-foot while having great set piece ability, he's fast with amazing crosses and vicious tackles.

If Antunes is really this good, we might as well get him because Pacos aren't asking for that much... supposedly.
IMO, Antunes is worth the investment, seeing how he may develop.

Couceiro was a fool (not surprising) to start Gonçalves over him against Belgium in the U-21 Euro a couple days ago. He just got lucky that Gonçalves had to leave injured, then things got better with Antunes back there.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Since Real Madrid really always wanted to field 11 strikers and a goalie, we're trying to make up for it by fielding a team of 11 left backs and a goalie. :p

FlavioJuve

Jun 6, 2007
Half Time!! This is what I saw from him this 45 minutes.
He was quite invisible at the starting 15 minutes, mainly because he has Julian Jenner from AZ as direct opponent. Jenner is not the best player of the dutch squad and didn’t also do that much in this faze of the match.
He went along in attack after 15 minutes sweeping in a cross into the box, which could be easily caught by Boy Waterman (also AZ)
He leaves the building up of attacks to other defenders, but that could also be what the coach told him to do. Also Holland plays tough, strong and structured leaving the Portuguese no space or time to set up a combination, so it’s hard to find a team mate upfront.
After 22 minutes he waited to long with playing the ball and therefore giving a way a throw-in.
In the 29th minute he sent away the ball to Almeida which he could find but the pass was to hard for Almeida to get control of.
In the 33rd minute the Dutch counter towards the Portuguese goal, where Antunes leaves Jenner wide open. Fortunately for the left-back his cross into the box can by headed away easily.
Well about an hour you will receive more information from me!!

FlavioJuve

Jun 6, 2007
The second half Antunes played against Roy Beerens, who was substituded for Julian Jenner
The only time you saw him was when he made some fouls he played really invisible, while both team (the first 20 minutes where for Portugal) played really offensive.

My overall impression of him, according to this match, was not really satisfying. Antunes was quite invisible, though is considered a talent, because he will also go to the WC U-20 in Canada later this summer. The whole Portuguese team played not as good as was thought before, they where considered a title candidate. That’s why he didn’t had enough combined action with his team mates.

But off course one should not judge a player by only one match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)