Violence could halt Italian football/Calcio suspended (18 Viewers)

Wraith

Sep 1, 2006
RIP to the policeman who died in this debacle. Is there this kind of craziness at every game? If so, then I'd be scared to watch a match live when I get the chance to go to Italy...

Oct 3, 2004
This is insane. RIP for the dead policeman...such a tragedy, that the country representing the WORLD CHAMPIONS has to go thru one scandal after another every year.

Really...no words to express how disappointing this news is, from an ITALIAN-FOOTBALL FAN perspective.

People may joke and laugh saying well Juve will not get promoted, while Inter will never win a normal scudetto. But in the end, it is Italian Calcio that loses, not just Juve, Inter, Palermo, Catania.

I may be overreacting, but I hope this whole fiasco ends soon, and everything goes back to normal.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Wow. This is just one more horrible black eye for Italian football around the world.

RIP for the policeman and all who were senselessly injured. :frown:

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
this is nothing new tbh, this is the culture of italian football which is dominated by rival ultra factions and mass town rivalries, im not so much surprised as what happened, but more in the fact this weeks football has been suspended, u dont happen to think turk was in this fight do u? i havnt heard from him for ages. :D
indeed and Italian federation is also responsible.. they did not punish any such actions hardly.. every time they give a punishment, they reduce it after 2 days.. and now this is the result..

What a shame for italian football

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
They should keep files on the ultras and ban them if anything happens. And please increase the secuirty check. I have been to a share of matches myself, but I really don't see the need for bags etc. I bet some people are smuggling all kind of things from those bags. Nobody should die over a game of soccer, never mind those who are there to make sure people are safe. R.I.P for the policeman, and my sincere condolence for the families involve. And I hope those convicted for the crime stays there for forseable future.

Joaco

the cronopio
Dec 11, 2005
I don't wanna sound racist or something but they are sicilian. Look at Materazzi if you want an example: he's sicilian too.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I don't wanna sound racist or something but they are sicilian. Look at Materazzi if you want an example: he's sicilian too.
Like the tear gas when Juve went to the Franchi to play Fiorentina in the Coppa last year was any better? :tdown:

You are making gross generalizations.

OP
Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #31
    I find it odd that I only read this piece of news on the BBC and nowhere else. Starting from all the moaning about divers to provocative headlines about stopping other major european leagues because of violence/racism, it seems that they're cant find some real news to report. They always find a problem in the game somewhere in europe, while I see divers in the Priemieship and objects thrown at players in England as well.

I'm not saying that violence/racism should be allowed to continue, but if Italy take the same steps that were taken in England and we have a stadium full of children and tourists then its gonna be a problem IMO.

Italy have a different culture, flags are allowed, even flares are lit before the matches. The fans in curva give a different feel in Italy.

The main problem for me is trying to stop fighting between fans. If it means more police in the stands with more authority to arrest then they should do it. I also think stadium bans should be used.

Saying that nothing is done about the problem is not totally true, as I remember the introduction of the photo ID requirement to enter the stadiums last year. I also remember Catania getting stadium bans for the problems their fans caused in the Sicilian derby this season. More should be done especially in the lower leagues
    I like how you dismissed the whole idea of it, and the credibility of the report. And then later mysteriously predicted what was to happen :D

OP
    Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #32
    Italian league halted by violence

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) has called off all this weekend's Serie A and Serie B games after a policeman was killed at a match on Friday.

A 38-year-old officer died as violence flared during and after the Serie A game between Sicilian rivals Catania and Palermo, which Palermo won 2-1.

The game had already been given an early evening slot on Friday because of fears over public safety.

FIGC has now cancelled the weekend's other games in the top two divisions.

The game was suspended after an hour when tear gas, used by police to break up the fighting outside the ground, drifted onto the field.

There was fighting outside the ground, reported ANSA news agency, because Palermo fans could not get into Catania's Stadio Massimino until the second half.

The two teams fled the pitch for the dressing-room, with the game suspended for 30 minutes.

Prior to kick-off, a minute's silence had been held following the death of a club official from lower league club Sammartinese at a game last weekend.

Catania club executive Pietro Lo Monaco reacted to news of the officer's death by announcing he would leave football.

"I've heard that a policeman has died," he said. "To speak of football right now seems useless. For me this is the end. I will leave the football world.

"I don't recognise myself in this world anymore. I have loved football intensely but after this right now it seems absurd."

The Catania prosecutor's office has announced an investigation into the incident.

Palermo had taken the lead through Andrea Caracciolo, but Catania equalised within 60 seconds of the teams coming back out thanks to Fabio Caserta.

Palermo won the game with a controversial David di Michele goal in the 83rd minute.

Story from BBC SPORT:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/6326513.stm

Published: 2007/02/02 21:55:27 GMT

Mark

The Informer
    Administrator
    Dec 19, 2003
    - A year break would help
    - Take away the chance to get EURO 2012 for Italy
    - Take out all Italian clubs from Europe starting now for a year or 2
    - Ban Ultras from Stadiums and add more security
    - Severe fines for the teams
    - Start 2007-2008 serie A with 40 clubs because some teams could disappear including Juve. ;)

AngelaL

Jinx Minx
    Aug 25, 2006
    How many more people have to die before Figc & the police get their act together & do something about this. Sorting out football hooligans is something they should have done YEARS ago, but did they? NO! Weapons/flares/fireworks should have been banned ages ago, especially as the rival fans have engaged in fighting for decades. I hope FIFA sort them out.
    RIP Inspector Filippo Raciti. (He was killed by a homemade bomb!)

They should play the rest of the games behind closed doors rather than cancel football for a year - that would bring hardship to many clubs & small clubs might go under.

BTW guess who the referee was: - Farina! :pumpkin:

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    Palermo chairman Zamparini releases a statement saying nobody has won this game .. these people are delinquants and not football fans .. if this was another country they would have been arrested but in italy they are allowed to get away with it.

AngelaL

Jinx Minx
    Aug 25, 2006
    Palermo chairman Zamparini releases a statement saying nobody has won this game .. these people are delinquants and not football fans .. if this was another country they would have been arrested but in italy they are allowed to get away with it.
    He's right! They wouldn't have got away with it in Scotland & the other Uk countries! That's because we took action years ago to reduce this kind of incident. There are still hooligans, but the trouble is on a smaller scale, BECAUSE we took action.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)