Violence could halt Italian football/Calcio suspended (4 Viewers)

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
Both Palermo and Catania fans are equally guilty. Both president's are already pointing the finger at each other, real mature.

They only care now because it will ruin there Euro 2012 bid = less $$$. This stuff has been happening for years.

They crossed a line. Hooliganism and murder r 2 different things. Something needs to be done.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
Both Palermo and Catania fans are equally guilty. Both president are already pointing the finger at each other, real mature.

They only care now because it will ruin there Euro 2012 bid = less $$$. This stuff has been happening for years.
:agree:

I dont understand why they are both blaming each other, it takes 2 to tango and from what i have read they were both at fault, as for the 2012 bid.... they havent done themselves any favours, i still dont understand why fireworks are permitted in stadia

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
:agree:

I dont understand why they are both blaming each other, it takes 2 to tango and from what i have read they were both at fault,
Because doing so would weaken the side of your argument to admit guilt. Or at least that's the thinking that's operating here.

as for the 2012 bid.... they havent done themselves any favours, i still dont understand why fireworks are permitted in stadia
They aren't.

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
Fireworks are a part of Italian culture. Fireworks displays is an art excelled by Italians. Banning any sort of fireworks display would cause an outcry. Everything from police tactics, to more thorough searches needs to be implemented.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
Fireworks are a part of Italian culture. Fireworks displays is an art excelled by Italians. Banning any sort of fireworks display would cause an outcry. Everything from police tactics, to more thorough searches needs to be implemented.
That's all good and dandy but try getting one in the face and see if that's an art. :D
Eliminate the ones that do this crap 1st and later you could have those just for the show and not as weapons.

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
Because doing so would weaken the side of your argument to admit guilt. Or at least that's the thinking that's operating here.

They aren't.
Well if they are not allowed then they should not be in the stadium as a firework is what caused the trouble, in this case i must praise the english game for its strickt guidelines of what can and cant be taken into stadiums, i have been stopped on many occasions from taking 12 inch flags because they have the potential to be a weapon, i appreciate the italian culture inside stadiums but is it really worth peoples lives? i dont think so

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
That's all good and dandy but try getting one in the face and see if that's an art. :D
Eliminate the ones that do this crap 1st and later you could have those just for the show and not as weapons.
I agree.

I just hope they dont take this out on Ultra's in general. Eliminate the extreme ones. Keep track of the bad ones, ban them from games, etc.

metalhead

Sep 23, 2005
Both Palermo and Catania fans are equally guilty. Both president are already pointing the finger at each other, real mature.

Are you saying people die every day?!! Today a policeman died, not a few injuries. The Euro 2012 bid wont even happen and the whole of Italian football is under question, not less $$$

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
What a shame to see such a young police-officer passing away in such a way. This is really sad. Thats not how football should be.

isha00

Jun 24, 2003
I don't wanna sound racist or something but they are sicilian. Look at Materazzi if you want an example: he's sicilian too.
A part from the fact that Materazzi is not sicilian (Born in Lecce --> Puglia), your comment is racist and superficial.

As for some sicilian players, we have Furino, Schillaci, Rampulla and Anastasi.

isha00

Jun 24, 2003
It's too late.

We all knew what happened in and outside the stadiums. Each matchday thousands of policemen and soldiers are sent to be beaten in the stadiums, each matchday crimes happen because police and carabinieri have not enough men to prevent them. Each matchday we hear about people injuried because of riots.

Last week a manager of a club was killed having got his head kikked after having passed out during a fight after the match (Eccellenza or Dilettanti).

No one ever did anything. Nothing.

They had to wait for a first class death. I just hope that the poor man hasn't died for nothing and that something will be really done. I have my doubts, but I hope so.

Pancalli said that Italian football will remain stopped till they'll find a solution. Too late, but it's better than nothing (hoping that this will be the case, of course).
As he said, maybe tonight we lost the chance of Euro2012, but, if so, we deserved it.

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
Are you saying people die every day?!! Today a policeman died, not a few injuries. The Euro 2012 bid wont even happen and the whole of Italian football is under question, not less $$$
Obviously not, otherwise I would have written that. However, the point I was getting at was this has been happening for years, deaths included. Whereas other nations have developped stategies to deal with this, Italy has lagged behind big time.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
Have some balls FOR ONCE damn Italian federation, have some freakin' balls. The whole BS we witnessed this summer wasn't enough to make the Italian league a farce and now this sh*t happens.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Channel 4

Players urge year-long suspension Friday 2 February, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Players’ Association has urged the suspension of Italian football Leagues for a whole year after the latest tragic incidents.

“Football should stop for a year to reflect on all the evil that comes from it. The culture that surrounds our sport is wrong and has to be revolutionised. We need patience for that to happen and maybe passing on to another generation,” said AIC President Sergio Campana.

The FIGC called a halt to all Serie A, B, C and Youth Championship games this weekend after the riots that marred the Sicilian derby.

A 38-year-old policeman was killed in the battles with Catania supporters following Palermo’s 2-1 victory at the Stadio Massimino.

At the moment it is unclear when the fixture list will resume, but the Players Association is urging for a definitive stance.

“I think that faced with these events, football should stop for a year and see if we can change our whole approach to sport,” continued Campana.

“We have for some time been pointing out that there are weekly attacks on players because they lose a game. This means the very culture of sport in this country is wrong. Right when football is trying to rediscover its credibility after Calciopoli, this sort of thing leaves us dumbfounded.”

The last time Serie A ground to a halt over fan violence was on February 5, 1995, when Genoa supporter Vincenzo Spagnolo was stabbed to death ahead of a match against Milan.

“The death of a policeman in Catania and the many injuries as a result of this riot is a disturbing turn of events that calls for drastic measures,” said Minister for Sport Giovanna Melandri.

“The Government will no longer tolerate the need for thousands of police officers in every match to ensure the safety of its citizens. Along with the Home Office Minister Giuliano Amato, we consider the suspension of the next round of games to be an opportune decision by the FIGC.

“The Government and the world of sport must come together now to make sure the Leagues begin again in a totally different way.”

The Sicilian derby was the final straw in a situation that has been growing in the peninsula.

In March 2004 the Rome derby was abandoned at half-time after reports – which later proved to be false – suggested a child had been run over and killed by a police van outside the Stadio Olimpico. This claim prompted extreme tension and riots.

The most tragic incident was only last week, when Sammartinese director Ermanno Licursi died from a brain haemorrhage when a fight broke out between opposition players in the Calabrian amateur League. It emerged he had been kicked in the head.

They had better not even think about stopping for a year cos Juve would be in serious trouble going an extra year without serie a TV money and CL cash. Can't see the authorities having the bottle to do it cos the clubs generally wouldn't stand for it.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
RIP to my fellow police officer, and to his family for this horribly avoidable tragedy

this is a total embarassment to Italy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)