Violence could halt Italian football/Calcio suspended (21 Viewers)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
IMO, the real reason why UEFA and La Liga Calcio have been punished clubs not individuals is the fact that they do not want to take responsibility of the issue. By punishing clubs they give rhetorical pretence that they are doing something "serious". At the same time, they do not want to take the burden of extra costs, and responsibility that comes with tackling the issue. That is not the reason for the crowd disturbance, but such narrow self interest is the reason why the issue hasnt been convincly solved yet.
Of course that plays a part, but you need to remember they don't have the authority either. Especially not UEFA, there is no European legislation on this matter at all.

The only thing I can think of that FA's could do is figure out who's behind all the mess (either through video evidence or else) and refuse those people entrance to the stadium. That, however, is a little legally sketchy and it would probably just move the riots to just outside the stadium anyway.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Of course that plays a part, but you need to remember they don't have the authority either. Especially not UEFA, there is no European legislation on this matter at all.

The only thing I can think of that FA's could do is figure out who's behind all the mess (either through video evidence or else) and refuse those people entrance to the stadium. That, however, is a little legally sketchy and it would probably just move the riots to just outside the stadium anyway.
I do share with you that riots could be just moved away from inside to outside. And if we think about it, the current debacle precisely happened outside anyway. In this sense, I do think employing the English model of majority of trained police force to ensure outside satefy and privately hired guards inside makes a lot of sense.

I also think somewhat controversial and unorthdox but effective scheme is to actually hire ultras to become part of club employee thus making them accountable for their action. Its good way of drawing clear distinction between what they get and not they don't (as opposed to now), and teams could keep record of their actions for monitoring purposes.

All in all, nothing will be fruitful unless people who commit serious deeds are sent to jail. I will be bitterly disappointed with everyone involved if they cannot track down the killer/s of this policeman. That is first and foremost important justice.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
All in all, nothing will be fruitful unless people who commit serious deeds are sent to jail. I will be bitterly disappointed with everyone involved if they cannot track down the killer/s of this policeman. That is first and foremost important justice.
That's virtually impossible. There was no CCTV as I recall and even then it was a humongous mess with very poor visibility due to smoke and tear gas

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
That's virtually impossible. There was no CCTV as I recall and even then it was a humongous mess with very poor visibility due to smoke and tear gas
I guess this is the biggest tragedy of the whole saga. A person dies, and yet we are talking about not being able to bring anyone to justice. Worse still, this will send message to the Ultras (or rather irresponsible members of this group) that Italian jurisdical process, clubs, F.A, and fellow fans cannot bring them into the justice and make them face the law of courts. This is more important than arguing about when should the game resume.

Best hope now is that we have some eye witnesses who are troubled their conscience such that they are willing to stand as eye witness in the case.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
I guess this is the biggest tragedy of the whole saga. A person dies, and yet we are talking about not being able to bring anyone to justice. Worse still, this will send message to the Ultras (or rather irresponsible members of this group) that Italian jurisdical process, clubs, F.A, and fellow fans cannot bring them into the justice and make them face the law of courts. This is more important than arguing about when should the game resume.

Best hope now is that we have some eye witnesses who are troubled their conscience such that they are willing to stand as eye witness in the case.
Agreed. It's going to be an interesting few weeks.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Football Violence Around Europe

Following is a list of deaths resulting from football violence at club and international level:

May 1984 - Tottenham Hotspur supporter is shot dead in Brussels and 200 fans held by police after riot before UEFA Cup final against Anderlecht.

May 1985 - Heysel Stadium disaster in Brussels. 39 people, mainly Italians, die as a result of rioting before Liverpool's European Cup final against Juventus.

April 1989 - Hillsborough tragedy in Sheffield. 95 are killed and at least 200 injured in Britain's worst sports disaster after a crowd surge crushes fans against barriers at the English FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.

January 1991 - A 16-year-old boy is killed in clashes between fans during a Greek first-division match between AEK and Olympiakos.

January 1995 - Italian sports authorities suspend all national sport scheduled for the following Sunday after the killing of a young Genoa fan before a game with AC Milan.

March 1995 - A 17-year-old fan is killed in a fight after a Turkish first-division derby match between Fenerbahce and Galatasaray.

August 1995 - A Turkish supporter of Sakaryaspor is killed after being hit by a stone thrown by followers of Duzcespor.

March 1997 - An Ajax Amsterdam fan is killed in a pre-arranged battle with supporters of Feyenoord.

March 1998 - A fan is killed in fighting following a match between English sides Gillingham and Fulham.

October 1999 - A fan is killed as Red Star followers rip up thousands of seats and clash with riot police after a 2-0 defeat by Belgrade rivals Partizan.

April 2000 - Two Leeds United fans are stabbed to death in Istanbul before a UEFA Cup semi-final against Galatasaray.

April 2001 - A 25-year-old German dies from head wounds sustained as he tries to escape from rioting fans at a friendly match between amateur side Darmstadt 98 and first-division Eintracht Frankfurt.

June 2002 - A man is stabbed to death and drunken soccer fans riot in Moscow when Russia lose a World Cup game in Japan.

March 2003 - One Polish fan is killed and 120 are arrested after street battles during a second-division match in the southwestern city of Wroclaw.

November 2006 - A policeman shoots dead one man and injures another while under attack from Paris St Germain fans who were chasing a Jewish supporter of Israeli team Hapoel Tel Aviv at a UEFA cup match.

February 2007 - The weekend soccer programme in Italy is suspended after a policeman is killed during fan clashes at a match between Catania and Palermo.

Reuters

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Now, this is nice:

----------------------------------------------------

Romania refuse compensation

Romania have turned down Italy's offer of compensation for the cancellation of Wednesday's friendly with the world champions.

Romanian federation (FRE) director Ionut Lupescu said that the Italians were prepared to pay compensation for the late calling-off of the match but his organization had refused it out of sympathy.

They hoped that the friendly could be re-arranged for later this year or in early 2008.

Christina

vanilla pudding
Aug 21, 2006
Fans could be barred from Italian soccer

By Maria Sanminiatelli, Associated Press Writer | February 5, 2007

ROME --Soccer fans won't be allowed into stadiums in Italy for games unless security measures are met, a decision that comes days after rioting at a game in Sicily in which a police officer was killed.

Interior Minister Giuliano Amato also said Monday that clubs will not be able to sell blocks of tickets to visiting fans, allowing for better control of who enters stadiums.

These decisions still need to be approved at a Cabinet meeting Wednesday, Amato said. Italy's soccer federation said an announcement on resuming professional play will be made after that meeting.

Stadiums could "technically" reopen by next weekend if the government approves the security measures, federation commissioner Luca Pancalli said.

Games in the country's top league, scheduled for last Saturday and Sunday, were canceled because of Friday's riot after Palermo beat host Catania 2-1.

According to a report Monday in the Italian sports daily Gazzetta dello Sport, only four stadiums used by clubs in the Serie A satisfy the safety norms -- the Stadio Olimpico in Rome, the Stadio Olimpico in Turin, the Artemio Franchi stadium in Siena, and the Renzo Barbera stadium in Palermo. San Siro, the stadium shared by AC Milan and Inter Milan, does not meet the criteria.

Sports minister Giovanna Melandri also said soccer clubs must cut ties to fan clubs and opponents should be regarded as "adversaries, not enemies."

In the Sicilian city of Catania, thousands of mourners flocked to a cathedral for the funeral of the slain police officer. Pope Benedict XVI expressed his "spiritual closeness" to the family of 38-year-old Filippo Raciti.

"In reiterating his firm condemnation for any act of violence that stains the world of soccer, the Holy Father urges protagonists to promote respect for legality with greater determination," the pope said in a telegram of condolences that was read during the funeral.

In a sign of respect, people applauded as Raciti's coffin, draped in the Italian flag, was carried inside the Duomo Cathedral followed by his youngest son dressed in a police uniform.

"I only hope that your death will push society to make changes," Raciti's teenage daughter, Fabiana, said during a tearful speech.

Amato has said the violence must stop, or the games will. But officials will also have to consider the economic impact of not allowing a quick return to play.

AC Milan and Juventus are the world's third- and fourth-biggest clubs by revenue, according to accounting firm Deloitte. During the 2004-05 season, along with rival giants Inter Milan and AS Roma, the clubs generated more than $1 billion through game-day receipts, broadcast deals, sponsorships and merchandising.

"This is among Italy's most important industries, and it needs to continue," Antonio Matarrese, the president of the Italian soccer league, said in Monday's editions of La Repubblica. "We are saddened, but the show must go on."

"Unfortunately, deaths ... are part of this huge movement, which law enforcement officials still can't control," he said.

Matarrese's comments drew immediate criticism, with the Italian Olympic Committee calling them "seriously offensive."

http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe/articles/2007/02/05/fans_could_be_barred_from_italian_soccer/

AngelaL

Jinx Minx
Aug 25, 2006
It goes with the territory, yes, but it's got nothing with football. As someone who sees this kind of shit pretty frequently let me tell you that. When ultras(hooligans) gather around before the game they do so to get drunk, stoned, high whatever and they NEVER discuss the game, the player or the tactics. What they do discuss is where, how and when they will meet the opposing supporters and kick the shit out of them.

I've been on the stands with the ultras(hooligans) on some games here and I've seen people get beaten the shit out of them, even though they support the same team, just because they were not screaming and singing along with the rest of the crowd.

It's got nothing to do with football, simple as that.
Agree with you there. These hooligans are merely gangs using football as an excuse for violence.

Well i'm quite sure football will be back this weekend.
Perhaps not this weekend, but soon!

It does! The English found that was the case, when they were trying to prevent hooliganism.
Fans could be barred from Italian soccer

By Maria Sanminiatelli, Associated Press Writer | February 5, 2007

ROME --Soccer fans won't be allowed into stadiums in Italy for games unless security measures are met, a decision that comes days after rioting at a game in Sicily in which a police officer was killed.

Interior Minister Giuliano Amato also said Monday that clubs will not be able to sell blocks of tickets to visiting fans, allowing for better control of who enters stadiums.

These decisions still need to be approved at a Cabinet meeting Wednesday, Amato said. Italy's soccer federation said an announcement on resuming professional play will be made after that meeting.

Stadiums could "technically" reopen by next weekend if the government approves the security measures, federation commissioner Luca Pancalli said.

Games in the country's top league, scheduled for last Saturday and Sunday, were canceled because of Friday's riot after Palermo beat host Catania 2-1.

According to a report Monday in the Italian sports daily Gazzetta dello Sport, only four stadiums used by clubs in the Serie A satisfy the safety norms -- the Stadio Olimpico in Rome, the Stadio Olimpico in Turin, the Artemio Franchi stadium in Siena, and the Renzo Barbera stadium in Palermo. San Siro, the stadium shared by AC Milan and Inter Milan, does not meet the criteria.[/I].................

......... Amato has said the violence must stop, or the games will. But officials will also have to consider the economic impact of not allowing a quick return to play......
...... "This is among Italy's most important industries, and it needs to continue," Antonio Matarrese, the president of the Italian soccer league, said in Monday's editions of La Repubblica. "We are saddened, but the show must go on."

"Unfortunately, deaths ... are part of this huge movement, which law enforcement officials still can't control," he said.

Matarrese's comments drew immediate criticism, with the Italian Olympic Committee calling them "seriously offensive."

http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe/articles/2007/02/05/fans_could_be_barred_from_italian_soccer/

Looks like Torino & Juventus home games may be allowed to go ahead. :)
Unreal! The San Siro is not up to scratch! Milan & inter are owned by two rich b*tches & yet their shared stadium is not up to scratch. I don't Beeeeliiieeeve it! :disagree:
Matarrese is an imbecile. Is he one of rossi's interesti maggots?

Gill_juve

May 29, 2006
Agree with you there. These hooligans are merely gangs using football as an excuse for violence.

Perhaps not this weekend, but soon!

It does! The English found that was the case, when they were trying to prevent hooliganism.

Looks like Torino & Juventus home games may be allowed to go ahead. :)
Unreal! The San Siro is not up to scratch! Milan & inter are owned by two rich b*tches & yet their shared stadium is not up to scratch. I don't Beeeeliiieeeve it! :disagree:
Matarrese is an imbecile. Is he one of rossi's interesti maggots?
actually it is. so is the artemio franchi and olimpico roma

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)