US Presidential Elections thread - the fate of the world to be decided (7 Viewers)

Who would you vote to be the next President of the United States?

• John McCain

• Barack Obama

• undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It's cited in reports that Wellstone's plane crashed due to the pilots "not keeping a safe minimum airspeed, thus stalling out." Do you believe in the report, Greg? Professors at the University of Minnesota certainly don't.
No question the crash was mysterious. But I don't jump to conclusions that way.

In any case, Saturday marked the sixth anniversary of the crash and his death. I'll honor his work with a quote from one of his early speeches:

The ethical issue of our time is that money has come to dominate politics and the democracy my father so deeply believed in is severely compromised. Campaigns match image-makers against image-makers, pollsters against pollsters and millions of dollars against millions of dollars. It is a superficial, trivialized politics of attack ads, manipulated advertising, and nine-second sound bites. It is a politics that treats people as if they are political nerds who know or care nothing about the issues of our time.

And most importantly, money corrupts the process. This is a much more serious corruption than the wrong doing of a single individual. This is the kind of corruption which results in too few people having too much wealth, power and say and too many people being denied a voice. It is a politics of democracy for the few, not democracy for the many.

Money, all too often, determines who runs for office. Should a person have to be a millionaire to run for the U.S. Senate? Money, all too often, determines what both Democrats and Republicans have to say on the issues for fear of offending big contributors. Should a candidate mortgage his or her vision to the wealthy and powerful and privileged. Money, all too often, determines how our elected officials spend their time in Washington.

Politics becomes about amassing huge amounts of money. Issues and accountability do count when it comes to the cozy relationship between a Senator or Representative and the political action committees who contribute the big bucks. They give the money to influence legislation and expect results. But during campaigns and elections most of what the people get is images. Not issues, not accountability. As a result people view politics as phony, irrelevant to their lives, and a game where the rules are rigged for the well healed and powerful interest, not ordinary citizens.

That barely half the people voted in our last Presidential election is a real indictment of "the way we do politics" today. I will conduct my campaign differently. No PAC money from outside Minnesota. I will be accountable to the people, not the oil companies and other giant corporations from outside Minnesota.
And with that, a big middle finger to Sen. Ted Stevens. It was the very suggested anti-"gift" rules written and endorsed by Sen. Wellstone that bit Sen. Stevens right in the ass today.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
No question the crash was mysterious. But I don't jump to conclusions that way.

In any case, Saturday marked the sixth anniversary of the crash and his death. I'll honor his work with a quote from one of his early speeches:

And with that, a big middle finger to Sen. Ted Stevens. It was the very suggested anti-"gift" rules written and endorsed by Sen. Wellstone that bit Sen. Stevens right in the ass today.
Word to that, Greg.

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
"According to a series of tubes sites, Senator Ted Stevens has been found guilty of lying about free home renovations that he received from an oil contractor. He faces up to 5 years in jail, and the outcome of his current reelection bid is now in doubt. 'The conviction came after a tumultuous week in the jury room. First there were complaints about an unruly juror, then another had to be replaced when she left Washington following the death of her father. Finally, jurors on Monday discovered a discrepancy in the indictment that had been overlooked by prosecutors. Jury deliberations in this historic trial have at times been as contentious as some of the proceedings The Justice Department indicted Stevens on July 29, and the Alaska Republican took a huge legal gamble and asked for a speedy trial in order to resolve the charges before Election Day. Judge Emmet Sullivan complied with Stevens' request, and in less than three months from the time of his indictment, Stevens was found guilty.'"

Another Alaska republican who is obviously completely out of touch with reality. He made the famous comment about the internet "it's not a big truck".

FFS Alaskans, vote for someone who isn't an imbecile for once.
the republicans should be buried in shit

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
He doesn't know anything. A month and a half ago he stated, "the fundamentals are strong." After 1000 point loss on the DOW and negative GDP reports, are the fundamentals still strong McPain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)