US Presidential Elections thread - the fate of the world to be decided (5 Viewers)

Who would you vote to be the next President of the United States?

• John McCain

• Barack Obama

• undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
so why are children wearing poltical shirts to school ?

Obama is turning into a Che Guevara type character (same politcal ideas as well)

IF he could be president, he would be good for this country (better than Obama or Mc Cain)

Acorn, Reverand Wright, and Willie -boy Ayers come to mind, but why is Osama:p ....I mean Obama immune to the media grilling ??

He is a media sweetheart (I think they are afraid if they cross-examined him on some shady issues they would be labelled as RACISTS :shocked:.......only Bill O'Reilly had the balls to do it, and Barack was squirming like a fish)

I mean, they whole explanation about Reverand Wright with the "I wasnt there for that sermon, and I never heard him talk like that before" was such a bunch of bullshit, but the media gave him a pass

And the whole Ayers situation, another pass given to Obama....now, if its Sara Palin, you could best believe that the media grilling would be in place, including a skit on SNL tonight

I like NEITHER of the candidates, but whats fair is fair....

does this country need a radical-liberal in charge who doesnt believe in the American way, and wants to "change" it ?? No thanks.....
Vinnie doesn't understand that ACORN has nothing to do with Obama. Obama's only link to them is through another organization he is no longer affiliated with. As for Ayers, I find it hard to believe that a 10 year old Barack Obama was running around the country blowing up buildings. Ayers, even with his past, has turned his life around immensely. Not only is he a tenured professor at the U. of Chicago. He was voted Chicago "Man of the Year" in 1997. And the fact that Obama knows the guy is making people call him un-American? Ridiculous.

Obama is the guy in this election who has done everything right. The son of a single mother who grew up on food stamps. Graduated from Harvard, gave back to the community, and is one step away from reaching the pinnacle of the American dream and all people can do is look for ways to untruthfully demean him. I'm so proud of my country.

Vinnie please define the American way before you through it around like it's a pack of bubble gum.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Can you make a Nike ad in which you smear Adidas and put it on tv? Cause in Norway that's illegal. Which neatly brings us to the question why is it legal to run smear ads about politicians? It's essentially abuse via mass media.

If I don't like someone can I buy an ad on tv to bash him 24/7 for 30 seconds between every program?
Perfectly legal here. It was one of the first things I noticed when I was visiting the States back in '97. Now I'm so used to it but it was really a shocking think to see initially.

Apr 12, 2004
Well there are libel and slander laws here, but they aren't technically laws, they are civil wrongs. You can't just say "Adidas sucks and supports terrorism," you basically have to tell the truth, but you are allowed to bend the truth a bit. Also, there are laws against false advertisement.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Not go into details but basically you're allowed to say that your product is superior to [insert other brand]'s product because of bla bla bla, while in Scandinavia you can't mention another companies name but you can say your product is better than the leading competition or something along those lines.

Geof

May 14, 2004
As compliments go, it's a pretty back handed one. You basically said "McCain did the right thing by not saying 'Obama is a terrorist'". Um, okay.
Well what Mc Cain said is what you would expect in a civilised election.
But what I saw in this election was quite different; Mc Cain, Palin were continuously implying that Obama had had simpathy for terrorists and whatnot.

Ideally, McCain should have stressed that Arabs are not bad people or something, but you can't blame him for having such stupid supporters; he takes them one step at a time. If he'd reveal them that 1. Obama is not Arab and 2. Arabs are not bad people we should be afraid of, there whole world would collapse.

Not go into details but basically you're allowed to say that your product is superior to [insert other brand]'s product because of bla bla bla, while in Scandinavia you can't mention another companies name but you can say your product is better than the leading competition or something along those lines.
Yeah, the Law changed in Belgium a couple of years ago in that sense. Before, you weren't allowed to compare products in an add, but today you can. Of course there are quite stringent rules, the comparison must be objective, on the same criteria, and not misleading. So, you can do the Duracell-Energizer rabbit thing.

But I saw only some comparative adds in the last years. Probably because of marketing people thinking in the lines of "bad publicity is better than no publicity".

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Does anything ever get your approval? You're always complaining :D
You're right, I have high standards. :p

Perfectly legal here. It was one of the first things I noticed when I was visiting the States back in '97. Now I'm so used to it but it was really a shocking think to see initially.
Part of me thinks I shouldn't be surprised.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Vin, do you think Bill O'Reilly does a good show?
he is one of the only media guys who goes after the liberals and democrats....he makes alot of controversial statements, but many of us have the same opinion, but dont necessarily say it in public

he can get out of control at times, but it's pretty humorous

Vin never tells us anything. He just starts shouting. The guy makes no sense whatsoever. He's what's wrong with American politics:

- he only like quotes, can't be bothered to listen to an entire interview
- starts yelling to make a point
- lies about crimes committed by his own side
- doesn't like Obama because he's an African American, but tries to hide this behind numerous other lies.
I dont know whether to get you a soapbox or some tissues

- I listen to entire interviews, but mention the important points of them

- what did I lie about ? You are putting words in my mouth. I said it enough times, if you listened- I SUPPORT NEITHER SIDE IN THIS ELECTION

- and again, you put words in my mouth. I dont like Obama because I feel that he is a radical liberal, and has connections with anti- American individuals within our country. I think he is getting a pass from the media, and I dont agree with it.

- I am not a racist, I hate you and you are whiter than me :p

and who's yelling, anyways ?

You have offended most of everyone here with your insensitive and down right ignorant & idiotic comments....you should start reading what you write, before you comment on anyone else

Why would we want a dialogue? Is he going to tell us anything that's worthwhile? I think not.
thats what the "ignore" feature is for, waffle-boy

You misunderstood me. It's not because he's racist that he doesn't vote on Obama because he's black. He has his reasons.
ok mindreader, what are they ?

Vinni, she broke the law. As a police officer I would think you would be able to understand that she has acted out of order and not shift focus to other idiocy that may or may not be true.
all politicians are criminals, ffs. Lets lock all of them up !!

Vinnie doesn't understand that ACORN has nothing to do with Obama. Obama's only link to them is through another organization he is no longer affiliated with. As for Ayers, I find it hard to believe that a 10 year old Barack Obama was running around the country blowing up buildings. Ayers, even with his past, has turned his life around immensely. Not only is he a tenured professor at the U. of Chicago. He was voted Chicago "Man of the Year" in 1997. And the fact that Obama knows the guy is making people call him un-American? Ridiculous.

Obama is the guy in this election who has done everything right. The son of a single mother who grew up on food stamps. Graduated from Harvard, gave back to the community, and is one step away from reaching the pinnacle of the American dream and all people can do is look for ways to untruthfully demean him. I'm so proud of my country.

Vinnie please define the American way before you through it around like it's a pack of bubble gum.
dude, you lost it with the bolded part...nice try !!

no one accused Obama of being involved with Ayers attacks, but why is he associated with a known terrorist against our country ??

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Vin, are you clutching at straws or does it just seem that way? You keep saying Obama is "associated with" a bunch of "bad people". And yet he hasn't done anything wrong, he's never been in jail, he's never been found guilty of ethics breaches, he's basically "innocent until proven guilty" you might say. And here you are sowing fear because he's "associated" with people you don't like. You know what that is? It's a classic case of FUD, a classic tactic. Fear, uncertainty, doubt. You can't say anything factual about something that would make it sound bad, so you just raise doubt about it, try to get people confused about it. Even though you have nothing to go on whatsoever.

Let me take a stab at it.
What do we really know about this Vinman? He says he's a police officer, but we've never seen his badge. He could be a terrorist. I saw him talking to some Muslim members on the forum the other day, it made me feel very uncomfortable about his associations. Are his friends whispering in his ear telling him to do evil things to us once he becomes a moderator? And what about that football tournament he played in where one of his teammates was clearly racist? Is Vinman a racist too? I mean he did play on that team, why else would he do that? That's not the American way. I'm starting to doubt if this Vinman wants what's best for America with friends like that. Is this really who we want as a moderator?

That's uncool, man.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I still haven't seen a decent argument as to how Obama began his political career at the age of six with Ayer's help. And I never will.

Shameful, shameful, shameful tactics.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Vin, are you clutching at straws or does it just seem that way? You keep saying Obama is "associated with" a bunch of "bad people". And yet he hasn't done anything wrong, he's never been in jail, he's never been found guilty of ethics breaches, he's basically "innocent until proven guilty" you might say. And here you are sowing fear because he's "associated" with people you don't like. You know what that is? It's a classic case of FUD, a classic tactic. Fear, uncertainty, doubt. You can't say anything factual about something that would make it sound bad, so you just raise doubt about it, try to get people confused about it. Even though you have nothing to go on whatsoever.

What do we really know about this Vinman? He says he's a police officer, but we've never seen his badge. He could be a terrorist. I saw him talking to some Muslim members on the forum the other day, it made me feel very uncomfortable about his associations. Are his friends whispering in his hear telling him to do evil things to us once he becomes a moderator? And what about that football tournament he played in where one of his teammates was clearly racist? Is Vinman a racist too? I mean he did play on that team, why else would he do that? That's not the American way. I'm starting to doubt if this Vinman wants what's best for America with friends like that. Is this really who we want as a moderator?

That's uncool, man.
Which is why, regardless of all other political points, one should not vote on McCain. It has been going on for ages and always does harm. In fact, I'd say that it's quite simply the same thing some American politicians have been doing for over 50 years now.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
What do we really know about this Vinman? He says he's a police officer, but we've never seen his badge. He could be a terrorist. I saw him talking to some Muslim members on the forum the other day, it made me feel very uncomfortable about his associations. Are his friends whispering in his hear telling him to do evil things to us once he becomes a moderator? And what about that football tournament he played in where one of his teammates was clearly racist? Is Vinman a racist too? I mean he did play on that team, why else would he do that? That's not the American way. I'm starting to doubt if this Vinman wants what's best for America with friends like that. Is this really who we want as a moderator?

That's uncool, man.
:D

Well played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)