US Presidential Elections thread - the fate of the world to be decided (183 Viewers)

Who would you vote to be the next President of the United States?

• John McCain

• Barack Obama

• undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Dollar falls to record euro low

The dollar has fallen to a fresh record low against the euro, after weak economic data renewed fears that the US economy may be facing recession.

After figures showed a sharp rise in US home foreclosures and another fall in American consumer confidence, the euro hit an all-time high of $1.50.

Traders say the Federal Reserve may have to cut interest rates again, which would further undermine the dollar.

Meanwhile, US crude oil rose $2.20 to a fresh record of $101.43 a barrel.

Five-year low

The latest sign of falling US consumer confidence came from the closely watched Conference Board survey.

It said consumer sentiment fell to a five-year low in February due to growing recession fears.

At the same time, the number of US homes facing foreclosure rose 57% in January compared with the same month of 2007.

Last month the Fed slashed interest rates to 3% as it tried to prevent the US economy falling into recession.

"With so few consumers expecting conditions to turnaround in the months ahead, the outlook for the economy continues to worsen and the risk of a recession continues to increase," said Lynn Franco, a director of the Conference Board's consumer research centre.

US interest rate cuts generally lower the value of the dollar as traders move to currencies with a higher rate of return.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/business/7265963.stm

Published: 2008/02/26 22:40:32 GMT

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I can't believe there is still talk over whether or not we're in a recession. :lol2:

Some people just don't want to face the facts I suppose. Thanks Bernanke and the Bush Administration.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I can't believe there is still talk over whether or not we're in a recession. :lol2:

Some people just don't want to face the facts I suppose. Thanks Bernanke and the Bush Administration.
:howler: I suppose that people think that as long as you simply deny a recession you can't be in one.

On a much less bright note: this happens to be a problem for Western Europe as well.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
:howler: I suppose that people think that as long as you simply deny a recession you can't be in one.

On a much less bright note: this happens to be a problem for Western Europe as well.
On a much less bright note? :lol2:

When our economy is suffering, that usually means yours isn't doing too well either. It ain't bright anywhere in the west right now.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006

and when you can't deny it anymore, you rev up the ol' war machine

nothing better to jump start a struggling economy than a good ol' fashioned war

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
On a much less bright note? :lol2:

When our economy is suffering, that usually means yours isn't doing too well either. It ain't bright anywhere in the west right now.
Well, the economy of Western European countries and the economy of the USA are connected in several ways. Most middle class people (and I am middle class after all) tend to just see the short term consequences though: which means they think today is a good day to go the US and go on a shopping spree.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Well, the economy of Western European countries and the economy of the USA are connected in several ways. Most middle class people (and I am middle class after all) tend to just see the short term consequences though: which means they think today is a good day to go the US and go on a shopping spree.
well thats not a bad idea, you should do it b4 the inflation starts to kick in

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Well it most certainly is a good day for that. But barring any other horrendous wars/terror attacks/stupid FED actions, our economy will be on the rebound. We're in a recession right now and it might have already been factored into the markets, which is certainly the case of the US dollar. It can't go much lower than this to be honest.

So yeah, Europeans, reap the benefits right now while you can.

thats not what he said last night.....

"Israel is our closest ally" :p

what do you think of that, Andrew ?? Burkie ???
Of course I don't like it, but it's something built into this nation that is just too tough to fix. Moreover, it's not in our economic interest to halt support of Israel for all sorts of reasons, ranging from oil to them being our only real ally in the region.

What I hope for Obama is that he won't cause more harm to the situation and not blindly support Israel in every single debacle that comes up in the Middle East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 183)