US Presidential Elections thread - the fate of the world to be decided (179 Viewers)

Who would you vote to be the next President of the United States?

• John McCain

• Barack Obama

• undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Barack 'Osama' on Rensselaer County ballots

Election officials on both sides of aisle insist error on absentee ballots was a typo

By BOB GARDINIER, Staff writer
Last updated: 4:05 p.m., Friday, October 10, 2008

TROY — Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's last name is spelled "Osama" on hundreds of absentee ballots mailed out this week to voters in Rensselaer County.The misspelling, which elections officials on both sides of the aisle insist was simply a typo, is causing embarrassment for the county.

''No question this is an honest mistake innocently done,'' said Edward McDonough, the Democratic commissioner. ''We catch almost everything.''

''This was a typo,'' said Republican Commissioner Larry Bugbee. ''We have three different staff members who proof these things and somehow the typo got by us.''Officials say the flawed ballots were sent to approximately 300 voters. On row 1A Barack Obama's name is spelled Barack Osama.

Is it a Freudian slip, intentional act or a mistake? Voters are sure to have opinions, and one pol pointed out that the letters 's' and 'b' are not exactly keyboard neighbors.

But even the county Democratic election commissioner is apologizing for what he calls a terrible mistake.

McDonough said the absentee ballots went out to voters in Brunswick, Nassau, Sand Lake, Schaghticoke and Schodack with the error.

So far three people have called to point it out, he said. Those people will get new ballots sent to them.

One Sand Lake resident who caught the misspelling, and who asked to remain anonymous, was skeptical.

''It's a little suspicious and at least grossly incompetent,'' the voter said. "If I crossed out the name and wrote in the right spelling my ballot would be invalid."

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=728326

Oh...it was just a mistake.

:shifty:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
What is with the illusion that Republicans stand against "big government"? :confused2

All I see is a party that has driven up spending astronomically and recorded all my conversations on the phone.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
First off, it is impossible for him to become President. But if he was able, some folks would love him because the country has a fascination with movie stars, while others wouldn't approve because he has an accent and isn't like the rest of the population.

One could only imagine the attack ads in this scenario.

"Arnold had Nazi relations in Austria" comes to mind.
No lie, but Arnold is my favourite republican. He is a quite a decent politician who has grown a well deserved rep (way way better then McCain).

Btw, isnt it as funny as heck with a country with many racists, that they dont make an issue of Obama's race publically, but they make it one of a religion he isnt even part of at all? I mean, the retardness of bigots and embeciles cant suprise one too much, but I mean...a regular christian is constantly attacked as a "muslim terrorist". Is it too much to ask the extreme xenophobia ATLEAST makes sense? Just call him a damn nigger already :D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I mean, what else could be stipulated? IQ, skin color, sexuality, religion, beauty? :confused2
I was thinking about education. But then I know the educational system is deeply flawed, and making it a requirement to have a top class degree just (especially considering the most prestigious schools are private and hence a simple matter of monetary exchange), that wouldn't guarantee anything. After all, Bush did get into Yale because he could afford it, so he'd pass the test meant to disqualify him.

This goes more to a reform of the whole political world, but take the UK for a minute. The PM has to show up in the house and take questions from anyone, unprepared. In other words, he has to *answer questions*. This is still the norm in Europe. Meanwhile, in the US the president is so well protected from any potentially adverse person that he's almost never at risk of having to answer something he didn't know was coming. When they bring in those people to sit in the audience they screen them first. And once you're president, almost any encounter with the press is a pre-arranged deal, questions received, answers formulated by your team, you just recite them. Everything to conceal the flaws of the actual person (which still show quite clearly).

So maybe instead of hard requirements like knowledge of foreign policy, economy etc the test should be empirical. Enter them into debates without all this protection. Expose to raw questions from authentic people. No protectionism and hiding behind statements written by your advisors. There is some hope that such a process would produce a much better qualified candidate who's been tested and prodded at length by the time he takes the throne.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I was thinking about education. But then I know the educational system is deeply flawed, and making it a requirement to have a top class degree just (especially considering the most prestigious schools are private and hence a simple matter of monetary exchange), that wouldn't guarantee anything. After all, Bush did get into Yale because he could afford it, so he'd pass the test meant to disqualify him.

This goes more to a reform of the whole political world, but take the UK for a minute. The PM has to show up in the house and take questions from anyone, unprepared. In other words, he has to *answer questions*. This is still the norm in Europe. Meanwhile, in the US the president is so well protected from any potentially adverse person that he's almost never at risk of having to answer something he didn't know was coming. When they bring in those people to sit in the audience they screen them first. And once you're president, almost any encounter with the press is a pre-arranged deal, questions received, answers formulated by your team, you just recite them. Everything to conceal the flaws of the actual person (which still show quite clearly).

So maybe instead of hard requirements like knowledge of foreign policy, economy etc the test should be empirical. Enter them into debates without all this protection. Expose to raw questions from authentic people. No protectionism and hiding behind statements written by your advisors. There is some hope that such a process would produce a much better qualified candidate who's been tested and prodded at length by the time he takes the throne.
I agree with this. It's so obvious everything Sarah Palin says is scripted, so it would be nice to place her in a hostile position where people can give her difficult questions instead of the norm.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Btw, isnt it as funny as heck with a country with many racists, that they dont make an issue of Obama's race publically, but they make it one of a religion he isnt even part of at all? I mean, the retardness of bigots and embeciles cant suprise one too much, but I mean...a regular christian is constantly attacked as a "muslim terrorist". Is it too much to ask the extreme xenophobia ATLEAST makes sense? Just call him a damn nigger already :D
:lol2: :lol:

Indeed, good post. Sadly.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Na man, it's true :D

I actually found out about this today through my roommate who has a friend that lives in Albany, NY.

You almost had me until the friend of a friend routine gag ;) :D A dead give away. Next time, also quote the article, but DONT link that its from the onion ;) They are funny as heck mofos, but so well known enough reputation that non but retards will take it fully seriously.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
You almost had me until the friend of a friend routine gag ;) :D A dead give away. Next time, also quote the article, but DONT link that its from the onion ;) They are funny as heck mofos, but so well known enough reputation that non but retards will take it fully seriously.
:lol2:

Osman, look again, it's not The Onion...it's the TIMESUNION!

It's a true story.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
:wth:

I'm reading these posts, and I'm like, "Am I missing something here?"

I have read Osman's and Tahir's posts three times each, searched the web link of the story provided, and even researched the Times Union to see if they're anyway affiliated with The Onion. And at the end of all this, I am left scratching my head. :confused2

Truly a Twilight Zone moment.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Holy fuck......its for real?????

I mean, whats the likelyhood of almost having an identical name to a spoof news site, AND having a serious article that is SO RIDICOLOUS it belongs to that spoof news site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 179)