US Army Sergeant Goes Berserk (4 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I see. I notice how Bradley Manning also has at least one civil attorney, whereas Gitmo detainees cannot.
Citizenship.

Still the civilian attorneys have to play by the rules of military court. Which are way different than usual criminal courts.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Aren't soldiers checked medically?? What is the point of recruiting idiots to kill other people?
That's a good point, actually. How about this: if you're the commander of a soldier who does something like this and is then declared insane, ie. can't be punished, then you go to jail.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
That's a good point, actually. How about this: if you're the commander of a soldier who does something like this and is then declared insane, ie. can't be punished, then you go to jail.
That is what should happen, but on ground nobody will be considered accountable.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
No. It's often difficult to see whether someone is mentally ill or not. Besides, psychopaths are notorious for deceiving everyone around them as that is what they've been doing ever since they were little kids. Goes for personality disordered people in general anyway. Psychopaths and narcissists do everything they can to uphold a certain image and they will succeed in doing so. I don't know what was wrong with this guy, but screening for mental illness is tough. Furthermore one can be mentally sane when entering the army and become ill at another point in time.

As a last point: if you're declared insane, you're still punished. And in a lot of cases the punishment is actually more severe, in the sense that they can do whatever the hell they want with you. You're declared a danger for society and put away in an asylum for years. Not good. What is claimed to achieve freedom is temporary insanity. The succes rate of such claims is extremely low and escaping punishment on those grounds rarely happens. The man will be punished.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
No. It's often difficult to see whether someone is mentally ill or not. Besides, psychopaths are notorious for deceiving everyone around them as that is what they've been doing ever since they were little kids. Goes for personality disordered people in general anyway. Psychopaths and narcissists do everything they can to uphold a certain image and they will succeed in doing so. I don't know what was wrong with this guy, but screening for mental illness is tough. Furthermore one can be mentally sane when entering the army and become ill at another point in time.

As a last point: if you're declared insane, you're still punished. And in a lot of cases the punishment is actually more severe, in the sense that they can do whatever the hell they want with you. You're declared a danger for society and put away in an asylum for years. Not good. What is claimed to achieve freedom is temporary insanity. The succes rate of such claims is extremely low and escaping punishment on those grounds rarely happens. The man will be punished.
You're like the first person on the forum in ages to write something I find persuasive and change my mind. Yay for good debate :D

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

Plus this was the guy's 4th or 5th tour. Which means possible PTSD to magnify whatever other issues were going on under the surface. My country's Stop Loss and re-enlistment policies are ridiculous. No one should do more than two tours unless they're in an elite group.

Anyway, he's being tried in military court. Insanity may not be an allowable plea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)