UK Politics (12 Viewers)

Jun 16, 2020

- - - Updated - - -

Never liked Brexit, to me it always seemed like a idea of taking more controle over refugees after the crisis during that period. And it’s true most refugees wanted to go to the UK.

But especially if we look to trade, personally at times I bought some random stuff online from England, but haven’t bought a single thing due to the costumer duties which are implied now.

I hope that you guys return to the EU over time. But can’t deny that a good portion of karma suits the Brexiteers. People don’t seem the understand how unique and important the EU is.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Last edited:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Brexit is an easy excuse or claim for any political or economic troubles the UK has had since. It's an easy equation to make. But this is simply down to poor leaders and poor choices since the Blair days.

Brexit wouldn't have happened if the country was happy it was in a strong economic position, but it wasn't, and hadn't been since before 2008. Brexit has underpinned it and magnified the risk.

Jun 16, 2020
Brexit is an easy excuse or claim for any political or economic troubles the UK has had since. It's an easy equation to make. But this is simply down to poor leaders and poor choices since the Blair days.

Brexit wouldn't have happened if the country was happy it was in a strong economic position, but it wasn't, and hadn't been since before 2008. Brexit has underpinned it and magnified the risk.
Mind to share your Brexit vote?

Boksic

May 11, 2005
I wasn't in favour of Brexit but agree it is mainly an excuse for any political issue now. Covid and rising costs globally have been the biggest issues over the past couple of years and have nothing to do with Brexit.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005

- - - Updated - - -

Never liked Brexit, to me it always seemed like a idea of taking more controle over refugees after the crisis during that period. And it’s true most refugees wanted to go to the UK.

But especially if we look to trade, personally at times I bought some random stuff online from England, but haven’t bought a single thing due to the costumer duties which are implied now.

I hope that you guys return to the EU over time. But can’t deny that a good portion of karma suits the Brexiteers. People don’t seem the understand how unique and important the EU is.
I always say that the EU is the closest thing humanity has come to utopia so far.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003

- - - Updated - - -

Economically it never works in your favor to establish trade agreements as a lone actor versus the aggregate. Volume always wins. Hence I never saw any real economic upsides from Brexit other than maybe if you wanted corporates to pollute your water supply without repercussions.

So it really came down to national identity and a longing return to a glorified past that no longer exists. If that's worth it, great on the UK. But this is a changed world. Isolationism in an ever-more global society has even lost its grip on Albania and now Myanmar and North Korea are hanging by a thread. Why would you want to be that?

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Economically it never works in your favor to establish trade agreements as a lone actor versus the aggregate. Volume always wins. Hence I never saw any real economic upsides from Brexit other than maybe if you wanted corporates to pollute your water supply without repercussions.

So it really came down to national identity and a longing return to a glorified past that no longer exists. If that's worth it, great on the UK. But this is a changed world. Isolationism in an ever-more global society has even lost its grip on Albania and now Myanmar and North Korea are hanging by a thread. Why would you want to be that?
Calma. Coming out of the EU is not like having global sanctions imposed on you like North Korea. Its not like the UK is isolating itself it has just chosen to be out of the free trade arrangement within the EU. Its businesses can and do still trade with the EU. One of the arguments put forward in favour of Brexit was the ability to set up its own trade agreements with countries like US, Japan, China etc rather than being restricted to the EU ones already in place.

Whether better deals are entered into is a different issue but the ability to take control of its trade an open itself up globally was one of the points pro Brexit campaigners were pushing.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Calma. Coming out of the EU is not like having global sanctions imposed on you like North Korea. Its not like the UK is isolating itself it has just chosen to be out of the free trade arrangement within the EU. Its businesses can and do still trade with the EU. One of the arguments put forward in favour of Brexit was the ability to set up its own trade agreements with countries like US, Japan, China etc rather than being restricted to the EU ones already in place.

Whether better deals are entered into is a different issue but the ability to take control of its trade an open itself up globally was one of the points pro Brexit campaigners were pushing.
All they had was the fear factor and you know it.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003

But if you come to me as a business promising me $10M in revenue as opposed to another business (or political entity) representing $100M in revenue, guess who I'm going to work that much harder with to appease a business relationship and strike a better deal? That's basic economics. Hence why the free trade excuse seems fundamentally unmoored from reality to me.

Meanwhile, the idea of insulating borders from the outside world -- perhaps primarily driven more by North African and Syrian immigrants in Calais and the Polish plumber down the street -- is something in common with the isolationism of North Korea. You cannot deny that dog whistling was heavily involved in supporting Brexit from this angle.

And even if you reject any race-baiting angle from rural social conservatives, the demographics of the Brexit vote tell it all: globalist, multicultural Londoners were the enemies of the state, so let's cut off its oxygen supply. Which requires pretending globalization isn't going on beyond your borders. Which is, well, Myanmar and North Korea.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
But if you come to me as a business promising me $10M in revenue as opposed to another business (or political entity) representing $100M in revenue, guess who I'm going to work that much harder with to appease a business relationship and strike a better deal? That's basic economics. Hence why the free trade excuse seems fundamentally unmoored from reality to me.

Meanwhile, the idea of insulating borders from the outside world -- perhaps primarily driven more by North African and Syrian immigrants in Calais and the Polish plumber down the street -- is something in common with the isolationism of North Korea. You cannot deny that dog whistling was heavily involved in supporting Brexit from this angle.

And even if you reject any race-baiting angle from rural social conservatives, the demographics of the Brexit vote tell it all: globalist, multicultural Londoners were the enemies of the state, so let's cut off its oxygen supply. Which requires pretending globalization isn't going on beyond your borders. Which is, well, Myanmar and North Korea.
I didn't say it was a good reason to do it but you made out the UK is like North Korea and can't trade with anyone which is ridiculous. Plenty of UK businesses have done very well trading to the EU Post Brexit. The UK also signed a trade deal with Japan soon after.

Its borders are similar to USA, Australia, UAE, Canada etc. Its not like they are closed, you just need a visa if you want to work here and from the EU (if you weren't living here already) . Same as an American wanting to move here pre-brexit.

A wide range of demographic voted for it for a wide range of reasons. I'm sure some idiots voted for xenophobic reasons and sure plenty didn't.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I didn't say it was a good reason to do it but you made out the UK is like North Korea and can't trade with anyone which is ridiculous. Plenty of UK businesses have done very well trading to the EU Post Brexit. The UK also signed a trade deal with Japan soon after.

Its borders are similar to USA, Australia, UAE, Canada etc. Its not like they are closed, you just need a visa if you want to work here and from the EU (if you weren't living here already) . Same as an American wanting to move here pre-brexit.

A wide range of demographic voted for it for a wide range of reasons. I'm sure some idiots voted for xenophobic reasons and sure plenty didn't.
Yeah, that would be a ridiculous exaggeration. But global trade agreements are dominating the planet now. The West in general feels more than a little threatened by the TPP. So undermining your own negotiating stance to get a custom kickback seems headed more in the North Korea direction. But by no means is the UK trying to be North Korea.

Of course, my experience with the immigration issues from Portugal are Brits who lived here for 30 years and now lose their driving privileges and face deportation. Or the gripes about being unable to use the EU customs lines at airports.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Muslims immigrants. Dont get me wrong it's a justified worry but Brexit was an overreaction.
I think it was immigrants in general. But at this point it's a bit late for that lol. If you mean fear mongering from the harder right then yeah I agree, but it's a small topic really. After all, there is barely a doctor or dentist here who is not Asian. Who do these people think will fill these jobs?

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
There is the idea that Muslims will come in and blow shit up which you could say is somewhat justified by history, particularly if you take Muslims from war ravaged countries but there is a huge problem of gangs from Eastern Europe as an example that pedel drugs, traffic people and prostitutes, which hit localities really hard. These street level crimes then exacerbate local drug dealer crimes and we get violent crime up, particularly in London. I know a lot of minorities that voted for Brexit for such reasons. Its insane that so few foreign criminals are deported and the Brits have to foot the bill. You've got to see individuals in their communities to get a proper understanding.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Actually, if you look at Sweden, you're more likely to get a homie blowing crap up long before you have to worry about a Muslim filthy immo doing it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)