UK Politics (21 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
What are the chances of Scotland leaving the UK and Ireland being reunified? I'm guessing they're high.
Scotland leaving - small to moderate chance. I don't think the SNP vote tells anything. If you gave people a choice of either Corbyn or Johnson, then a third option for a generic nationalist party, the nationalist party is going to get a large amount of votes. Unfortunately down in England we had to choose one or the other. It's fairly easy politics for Nicola Sturgeon and co, just keep pushing a referendum. What if they lose again, best of three? It's obvious that eventually a pro-independence vote will be passed and that will be that, no going back, but I wouldn't expect it with Johnson in charge.

Ireland I doubt will be unified within my lifetime. Northern Ireland hasn't even had a government for 3 years.

Buy on AliExpress.com

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
European right wingers would be considered demonrat lefties in the states.
Because in Europe both left and right wingers stand for a big government still. And the government's only purpose is to steal, steal, steal. We need a proper sorta classical liberal party that is not the FDP :snoop: Can we import Rand Paul?

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Because in Europe both left and right wingers stand for a big government still. And the government's only purpose is to steal, steal, steal. We need a proper sorta classical liberal party that is not the FDP :snoop: Can we import Rand Paul?
You could have Trump and his family in a package deal with Mitch McConnell. Best I could do for you right now.

maxi

Aug 31, 2006
As a brit I hope scotland goes independent. I think they have a mandate with the current election and there was a pretty melancholy gathering of people in Edinburgh showing their support for the EU. If Johnson doesn't accept their will then he is a hypocrite, especially after how he boasts about being a true man of the people.

Jun 6, 2015
As a brit I hope scotland goes independent. I think they have a mandate with the current election and there was a pretty melancholy gathering of people in Edinburgh showing their support for the EU. If Johnson doesn't accept their will then he is a hypocrite, especially after how he boasts about being a true man of the people.
I really don't see a new referendum for Scottish independence happening any time soon. As long as Johnson is the prime minister he will block those demands. And yes he is a hypocrite among other things.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
The entire population know he isn't a "man of the people" anyway. How could someone like him possibly be? So it matters little whether he bends to the will of the Scottish population.

My thoughts on Scottish independence don't change - they'll leave one way or another, whether it's the 2nd, 4th or 8th time of trying. Whether it's the right choice for them remains to be seen, but the world is fairly swept with nationalism. Brexit brought life to a pretty stale stance.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
As a Scot I hope we never go independent, it would be an utter disaster. There is no mandate for another referendum. We were promised the last one 5 years ago was "once in a generation" and it was an overwhelming no.

As usual it is the minority who shout the loudest who get the attention , so what if there is a minor gathering in Edinburgh. Do they speak for the country?. The majority don't want independence. In the last election the majority of people (55%) again did not vote SNP. This is more than in the previous election (straight after the SNP's high of the last referendum) there is no reason for another divisive referendum. Let the Scottish politicians try and fix their failing economy, education and healthcare.

Also there is no guarantee Scotland would be accepted win the EU. Do we meet the conditions to join? Would Spain allow a separatist nation to join?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 20)