UK Politics (4 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Tbh, I don't see what are they going to win with Brexit, apart from "independence" or some other mythical shit.
Without a clear deal, yes, imo they will. Uncertainty is rarely good for the economy.
I doubt they'll gain anything but IMO their loss won't be big really. EU will lose a whole lot more and euro might crumble as well. But here's the deal. It's EU. It's far from being something great and imo it won't last that long so in the long term Britain might even have the upper hand. EU its a Titanic in my book and there are many wrong things about it which is yet to fall apart.

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
Will British people even lose anything? I think majority sees this as a horrible thing but I doubt it's gonna hit their people hard. It may more reflect on EU itself rather than Britain.
We may. We may not.

It could be a case of there's some positives and some negatives. On the one-hand it could be great to be free of the EU's bureaucracy, and not having to throw billions of £'s at them - but only if we don't replace those systems with something worse. And there's no guarantee of us not fucking that up too.

Some people will say it's going to hurt us. Others will say it will hurt the majority of the EU countries more than us. Thing is ... I'm not sure any of us knows. Anyone that gives you a definitive yes or no is speculating or, at worse, lying. And that's probably the issue - was it worth the gamble for the sake of political points scoring?

The optimist in me hopes that we just get on and make the best of the situation, and maintain good relations with the EU member states, if not the EU as an institution in its own right (as that relationship is fucked now).

- - - Updated - - -

Not a Brit, obviously, but from what I heard it’s not only hit them economically pretty hard, without agreement they’d need a hard border in Ireland. And that fuck ups good Friday agreement.
There will be no hard border in Ireland. It simply does not matter what the EU think about that. There is 0% chance of any UK Government (Con or Lab, and whether 'remain' or 'leave' inclined) allowing that to happen.

Last edited:

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
There will be no hard border in Ireland. It simply does not matter what the EU think about that. There is 0% chance of any UK Government (Con or Lab) allowing that to happen.
They are already allowing it to happen, bickering like children and playing stupid party games with peoples lives. There is not going to be a hard border of course in the end, maybe sea border, but the UK is going to pay a hefty price for it. And if you lump it together with negotiating all the trade deals UK has now as a part of EU (and not having a stronger hand in any of this negotiation) it's going to be some shitshow. Really sad, we had our headquarters in London, had plans, business was booming, now our headquarters is moved to Berlin. I like Berlin more, but there is no good football to see there when we come to visit.

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
I doubt they'll gain anything but IMO their loss won't be big really. EU will lose a whole lot more and euro might crumble as well. But here's the deal. It's EU. It's far from being something great and imo it won't last that long so in the long term Britain might even have the upper hand. EU its a Titanic in my book and there are many wrong things about it which is yet to fall apart.
You might be right. But even if that's true it's hard to see this as an overall positive.

- - - Updated - - -

They are already allowing it to happen, bickering like children and playing stupid party games with peoples lives. There is not going to be a hard border of course in the end, maybe sea border, but the UK is going to pay a hefty price for it. And if you lump it together with negotiating all the trade deals UK has now as a part of EU (and not having a stronger hand in any of this negotiation) it's going to be some shitshow. Really sad, we had our headquarters in London, had plans, business was booming, now our headquarters is moved to Berlin. I like Berlin more, but there is no good football to see there when we come to visit.
Oh, yeah, there will be a shit-show. I agree. There won't be a hard border in Ireland though. It's probably the only thing every political party will agree on.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
The UK rely on their imports and they trade heavily with the EU. Of course there's going to be a significant loss

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
What you highlighted is also true, however the UK that are not in a good position to negotiate an advantageous trade deal
Again, it's speculation. On the one-hand we've complicated trade with the EU. But we may have simplified it with USA, China, Japan, Australia etc.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I don't know that the UK being outside of the EU is worse for the UK as an importer or the EU member states' as exporters. A bad trade deal doesn't work for anyone - if the tariffs make importing from the EU prohibitive then that hurts the exporter's economies also. Importers will just give their money to someone else, whoever offers the best deal.

What's clear to me is that there must be some middle ground that can be acceptable to everyone, but that both the UK Government and the EU seem to be doing their upmost to avoid getting there.

Last edited:

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
Tbh, I don’t understand what middle ground you are talking about. Checkers agreement was already a big step from EU and your parliament blew it away. There is two sides of the story always, but sometimes the second side believes in a flat earth.

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
Tbh, I don’t understand what middle ground you are talking about. Checkers agreement was already a big step from EU and your parliament blew it away. There is two sides of the story always, but sometimes the second side believes in a flat earth.
This is why it's such a shit show. That two political bodies cannot find agreement on something important. I don't know why I'm surprised really.

And the other reason it's a shit show is that you'll always get people ridiculing those with a different view. You used the words 'flat earth'. This doesn't help either. I know you're not a UK citizen so you've no responsibility to conduct yourself in a particular way with regards to Brexit - but we've been going round in circles for ages on this, precisely because there's no civility - or flex - that otherwise might have encouraged the making the best of the hand we've been dealt by that idiot Cameron.

Last edited:

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
I’m not even EU citizen, man. Let’s skip civility part, because we are on tuz, and the jab was not aimed on you personally anyway.
What I’m saying is that sometimes the second side does have ridiculous arguments.
Never wanted to insult you, man, our company lost two life changing clients because of Brexit, and I’m also drunk, so a little wind up about it. Cheers.

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
I’m not even EU citizen, man. Let’s skip civility part, because we are on tuz, and the jab was not aimed on you personally anyway.
What I’m saying is that sometimes the second side does have ridiculous arguments.
Never wanted to insult you, man, our company lost two life changing clients because of Brexit, and I’m also drunk, so a little wind up about it. Cheers.
Let me wind that back a little. I didn't mean to cause offence.

I'm not having a jab at you. It's kind of okay for us to write about this in any way we want on here. I have no issue with the way you write.

What's a problem is the way that people in the UK/European Commission are handling all this stuff, including people of real influence. I suppose I'm saying that they would use words like 'flat earth' as well. And that is a problem. As their petty squabbles affect real people. I do expect them to take this more seriously, and to be more responsible.

TLDR: it's a shit show.

Last edited:

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Got to agree with @Dantes on this. Brexit could be good for the UK and similarly could work out badly. The issue is nobody knows because nothing has been agreed.

It's simplistic to say that the UK trades a lot with the EU so will suddenly be worse off. There are so many factors that influence trade between countries.

The problem is that the politicians in this country are far more interested in themselves and playing petty games than the good of the UK. The leader of the opposition effectively made everyone vote on whether to overthrow the government. This was a vote that he was never going to win and a complete waste of time at a time when the parties should be working together to come up with a deal that works.

Unfortunately some politicians want no Brexit, some want a hard Brexit and some want a soft Brexit, and it doesn't seem like any are willing to compromise.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Fuck man, I am really rooting for EU to succeed. It honetly at least appears to be doing some good for themselves, the planet and humans.

Fuckin Brits had to ruin everything as usual... self-important bastards

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
@Dantes what's the deal with the grooming gangs?Read some articles articles about the topic.Is it that bad?
Did the police actually turned a blind eye in the matter? How is the atmosphere there , regarding the subject?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)