UK Politics (9 Viewers)

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
In the short term sure their economy would collapse, but in the long run would they not adjust? Why is it that once you join the EU you can't possibly leave without utterly obliterating the nation leaving?

Genuinely asking.
It would be like you leaving Brooklyn, your family, job, everything that matters to you to try your luck in Venezuela because you don't like the smell of the Indian restaurant downstairs.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
In the short term sure their economy would collapse, but in the long run would they not adjust? Why is it that once you join the EU you can't possibly leave without utterly obliterating the nation leaving?

Genuinely asking.

You could, but leaving the EU causes a whole lot of uncertainty and economists do not like uncertainty. Imo the only reason to truly leave the EU is the democratic deficit the EU faces, other than that it's just silly. The UK already had a special position in which they could choose to opt in or out of EU Regulations. Now they'll be out of the EU and probably negotiate a set of treaties which come down to the same thing.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
It would be like you leaving Brooklyn, your family, job, everything that matters to you to try your luck in Venezuela because you don't like the smell of the Indian restaurant downstairs.
Viva La Revolucion!

- - - Updated - - -

Boris :touched:

too bad Maggie Thatcher is not available. how about Theresa May? @JuveJay
i'm not an expert, but she seems to be a better choice than Glove.
Don't particularly like Gove or May, but I didn't Cameron either and voted for him as he was the best choice. May is the best choice. The best thing that could probably happen right now is for May to take over and for Hilary Benn to become leader of the Labour party. Currently there is only a right vote in England, the Scots and Welsh have an easier alternative, nationalist choice.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Viva La Revolucion!

- - - Updated - - -

Don't particularly like Gove or May, but I didn't Cameron either and voted for him as he was the best choice. May is the best choice. The best thing that could probably happen right now is for May to take over and for Hilary Benn to become leader of the Labour party. Currently there is only a right vote in England, the Scots and Welsh have an easier alternative, nationalist choice.
Why is it that it is assumed that Scottish people should vote for the SNP and be nationalistic?

All the SNP are interested in is independence and I would rather they concentrate on running the country in the interests of the whole country not just the 45% minority that voted for them. I am glad that the Conservatives become a second force in Scotland (albeit very marginally) as at least there is a party trying to challenge them. It isn't healthy for one party to have so much power regardless of who it is.

The SNP have done a fantastic job at marketing where anything that goes wrong is Westminster's fault and nobody picks up on their numerous failings. At the last general election you genuinely could have taken anyone off the street made them run as an MP and they would win, when you look at some of who were elected it almost seems like it.

I stand by that independence for Scotland would be a bad idea (oil price well under half the value that was predicted at the last referendum / we can't control our currency / we may not be in the EU anyway). It annoys me that just because we voted to remain in EU we should leave the UK, and find it ironic that the same people who want the security of something bigger like the EU want out the UK, and similarly say that they don't like London making some laws for us but want the EU to.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Viva La Revolucion!

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't necessarily call it nationalistic in the tradional sense when their main promise is gonna be to lead Scotland back into the EU :D

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
But in this case, I would've been to Venezuela before though, since the EU hasn't always existed. I'm just not understanding why once you're in you can't ever leave.

You could, but leaving the EU causes a whole lot of uncertainty and economists do not like uncertainty. Imo the only reason to truly leave the EU is the democratic deficit the EU faces, other than that it's just silly. The UK already had a special position in which they could choose to opt in or out of EU Regulations. Now they'll be out of the EU and probably negotiate a set of treaties which come down to the same thing.
The uncertainty I can certainly understand. The rest I'm not all too familiar with, I haven't studied it much before.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
But in this case, I would've been to Venezuela before though, since the EU hasn't always existed. I'm just not understanding why once you're in you can't ever leave.

The uncertainty I can certainly understand. The rest I'm not all too familiar with, I haven't studied it much before.
You are assuming Venezuela now is the same as thirty years ago might as well be a place we've never been. Everyone's free to leave, but is there a viable alternative is the question

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Why is it that it is assumed that Scottish people should vote for the SNP and be nationalistic?

All the SNP are interested in is independence and I would rather they concentrate on running the country in the interests of the whole country not just the 45% minority that voted for them. I am glad that the Conservatives become a second force in Scotland (albeit very marginally) as at least there is a party trying to challenge them. It isn't healthy for one party to have so much power regardless of who it is.

The SNP have done a fantastic job at marketing where anything that goes wrong is Westminster's fault and nobody picks up on their numerous failings. At the last general election you genuinely could have taken anyone off the street made them run as an MP and they would win, when you look at some of who were elected it almost seems like it.

I stand by that independence for Scotland would be a bad idea (oil price well under half the value that was predicted at the last referendum / we can't control our currency / we may not be in the EU anyway). It annoys me that just because we voted to remain in EU we should leave the UK, and find it ironic that the same people who want the security of something bigger like the EU want out the UK, and similarly say that they don't like London making some laws for us but want the EU to.
50% of the vote in the last general elections went to the SNP, that number would be even greater now post-Brexit. My sole point here was that English people do not have that national choice, they think they do with UKIP but that is a flash in the pan, BNP with brains party. There is no English government or assembly, England and the UK is the same thing politically.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
They can't possibly win the election, and it's not until 2020, the landscape will be different then.

This was all about Farage and his xenophobic legacy.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
They can't possibly win the election, and it's not until 2020, the landscape will be different then.

This was all about Farage and his xenophobic legacy.
You can't do what he did unless you have no sense of decency whatsoever. If you're a politician and you stand for something and you're given the chance to realize your 'dream' you cannot step down that very moment. But one look at the scumbag's face tells you all you need to know anyway: the guy's a fraud.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
At least now there's a chance of enough people realising how much of a fraud politicians like Farage & Johnson are.

Not that they won't have forgotten it again in 5 years time, but there could be a real window of opportunity opening up now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)