UK Politics (4 Viewers)

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
How does this work in regards to refugees?
The EU gives all member nations - and therefore all citizens the right to visit, live or work in whichever other country they want to. There is also the Schengen Zone which consists of European countries (including one or two who aren't EU members) who have abolished all forms of border control between each other. You can literally drive from Germany into Holland without being asked to show anything, and if you missed the sign which says 'Welcome to The Netherlands' the only indication that you'd arrived in a new country would be that the road signs are in a different language.

It's good for both tourism and for business. However it also means that if an EU member country accepts refugees from Syria, for example, then they could feasibly move around freely across the continent. With the ever-increasing air of Islamophobia coupled with the likelyhood of Turkey becoming an EU member state in the coming years this would stretch the EU Border right to Syria itself. You can imagine if you read the Daily Express every day and believe all of the stories of Bulgarians or whatever coming to TUK UR JEAUBS plus the idea that you're about to be blown up by an Allah enthusiast at any given moment you'd want to get shot of the EU sharpish.

- - - Updated - - -

The final graphic in this article lets you compare the EU, Eurozone and Schengen Zone quite nicely.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2016/02/graphics-britain-s-referendum-eu-membership

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
The EU gives all member nations - and therefore all citizens the right to visit, live or work in whichever other country they want to. There is also the Schengen Zone which consists of European countries (including one or two who aren't EU members) who have abolished all forms of border control between each other. You can literally drive from Germany into Holland without being asked to show anything, and if you missed the sign which says 'Welcome to The Netherlands' the only indication that you'd arrived in a new country would be that the road signs are in a different language.

It's good for both tourism and for business. However it also means that if an EU member country accepts refugees from Syria, for example, then they could feasibly move around freely across the continent. With the ever-increasing air of Islamophobia coupled with the likelyhood of Turkey becoming an EU member state in the coming years this would stretch the EU Border right to Syria itself. You can imagine if you read the Daily Express every day and believe all of the stories of Bulgarians or whatever coming to TUK UR JEAUBS plus the idea that you're about to be blown up by an Allah enthusiast at any given moment you'd want to get shot of the EU sharpish.

- - - Updated - - -

The final graphic in this article lets you compare the EU, Eurozone and Schengen Zone quite nicely.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2016/02/graphics-britain-s-referendum-eu-membership

Thanks for that. SO a lot of it is fear of refugees. I can imagine that is what a lot of people are voting for and not really much else.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Under normal circumstances I would be correcting you all on saying 'England' and not 'The UK' but the way it's looking we'll be getting another indy ref before too long.

Independence baby :weee:

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
But seriously, the most important thing is this.

“Clubs will be limited to hiring higher calibre players from highly FIFA ranked EU countries,” he said. “If the Premier League is limited to these players, this will increase the values, in terms of transfer fees and wages, of acquiring proven and established EU players. Missing out on rising talent [such as Kante] will be one of the drawbacks.”
"A player from a FIFA ranked top-10 nation only has to have played in 30 percent of games in the two years prior to application to be granted a work permit"
"A player from a 11-20 nation must have played in 45 percent of international games"

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
It sounds more like folks are sick of being ruled by useless bureaucrats
Yeah that, too. The EU is kind of a big mystery really. The workings of it are never really discussed or explained. We get to vote in elections for the Euopean Parliament but I've barely seen any kind of campaigning for it before UKIP started kicking up a fuss in the last decade.

That works both ways - people want to leave because they see it as pointless and something they pay taxes towards without seeing the money again. On the other hand, though, I'm not sure anybody understands (infact I know that nobody knows) what will happen if a country leaves the modern EU. It's never happened before.

- - - Updated - - -

But seriously, the most important thing is this.

“Clubs will be limited to hiring higher calibre players from highly FIFA ranked EU countries,” he said. “If the Premier League is limited to these players, this will increase the values, in terms of transfer fees and wages, of acquiring proven and established EU players. Missing out on rising talent [such as Kante] will be one of the drawbacks.”
"A player from a FIFA ranked top-10 nation only has to have played in 30 percent of games in the two years prior to application to be granted a work permit"
"A player from a 11-20 nation must have played in 45 percent of international games"
Ach there's ways around that. We (Celtic) got Japan's Koki Mizuno by arguing that he would be an absolute gem of a player despite his low number of international appearances.

Think he played twice for us. We never got the benefit of the doubt again.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Yeah that, too. The EU is kind of a big mystery really. The workings of it are never really discussed or explained. We get to vote in elections for the Euopean Parliament but I've barely seen any kind of campaigning for it before UKIP started kicking up a fuss in the last decade.

That works both ways - people want to leave because they see it as pointless and something they pay taxes towards without seeing the money again. On the other hand, though, I'm not sure anybody understands (infact I know that nobody knows) what will happen if a country leaves the modern EU. It's never happened before.

- - - Updated - - -

Ach there's ways around that. We (Celtic) got Japan's Koki Mizuno by arguing that he would be an absolute gem of a player despite his low number of international appearances.

:D

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

- - - Updated - - -

Well, that sounds rather ridiculous by itself. No way should people put up with that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)