UK Politics (10 Viewers)

Jul 1, 2010
Labour is getting wrecked by the rise of the SNP as they usually have most of the seats in Scotland.

I guess the SNP will have the kind of position the Bloc Québécois had here until last federal election (where they got almost wiped out), as they used to win almost all the seats in Quebec and was a separatist party.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Red

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #642
    The SNP vote isn't that big an issue because they've always made it clear they'd work with Labour.

The issue is that Labour actually seem to have lost ground to the Tories in England.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    Looks like the Tories will gain just enough seats for an overall majority.

What a miserable election this turned out to be for Labour. Said all along, Milliband is just not inspiring enough to swing the many on the fence. Imagine Labour with Gordon Brown (equivalent), they would be sitting in parliament with an SNP coalition at the end of this.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    Farage steps down from UKIP, Clegg steps down from Lib Dems, Milliband is expected to do the same with Labour.

Andy Burnham is the favourite to take over Labour leadership (Shadow Secretary of State for Health). Ed Balls looks like he is being thrown out with the trash.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    g72uzsf.png

Seems bittersweet for the SNP, gaining so many seats but with seemingly little central power against a Tory majority. Locally it should be good news in many respects.

Thoughts? @Red @Boksic @Scottish

Boksic

May 11, 2005
    g72uzsf.png

Seems bittersweet for the SNP, gaining so many seats but with seemingly little central power against a Tory majority. Locally it should be good news in many respects.

Thoughts? @Red @Boksic @Scottish
    Decent result, I think the Conservatives have done well over the past 5 years. The fact that they even had a chance of getting re-elected after the mess they had to deal with when they first got to power supports this.

Disappointed in the Scottish seats, but the SNP have done very well to generate a lot of hype and interest in people who don't usually vote and were clearly going to well with the referendum bandwagon. They also did well in completely discrediting Labour. I hope they won't use the results as an excuse to force through another referendum. We were told "once in a generation" and that they would respect the result but i have a feeling it will be "once in a generation if we get the result we want, until then we will revisit in continually".

Ironic that the SNP have kept talking about getting the Tories out but they really did help them...

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
    Jul 13, 2013
    Decent result, I think the Conservatives have done well over the past 5 years. The fact that they even had a chance of getting re-elected after the mess they had to deal with when they first got to power supports this.

Disappointed in the Scottish seats, but the SNP have done very well to generate a lot of hype and interest in people who don't usually vote and were clearly going to well with the referendum bandwagon. They also did well in completely discrediting Labour. I hope they won't use the results as an excuse to force through another referendum. We were told "once in a generation" and that they would respect the result but i have a feeling it will be "once in a generation if we get the result we want, until then we will revisit in continually".

Ironic that the SNP have kept talking about getting the Tories out but they really did help them...
    How did they help the Tories? The Tories didn't win because of Scotland, but because of rest-GB. And I don't think that people outside of Scotland voted SNP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)