UK Politics (10 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Scotland celebrated the no vote like it was a Super Bowl. Get ready for all the change. Or lack.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently a quarter of Americans would be open to their state seceding from the US.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The union was saved by the old and the female, that much is obvious. A younger generation are always more likely to go for something different as they are carefree and sticking it to the system, it's their future after all.
i read it was the women
Figures as much. So once the vote can be made again, hopefully many will have already died off.

Scotland celebrated the no vote like it was a Super Bowl. Get ready for all the change. Or lack.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently a quarter of Americans would be open to their state seceding from the US.
I used to make fun of the Texans who wanted to secede. Now I can definitely see their argument. The federal government is out of control and overstepping their bounds. Hell, Rick Perry had to fight to protect their own borders, doing what the state government should do.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I used to make fun of the Texans who wanted to secede. Now I can definitely see their argument. The federal government is out of control and overstepping their bounds. Hell, Rick Perry had to fight to protect their own borders, doing what the state government should do.
Texas could probably secede. It would be more difficult than they think. The truth is, most states would really struggle. Imagine Alabama becoming it's own country.

Rick Parry cracks me up. I hope he runs for President again, platform being Carl's Junior and Immigration (so hilarious).

I think you mean Federal government, not state.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Delware is the country i choose to be part of then
Not a bad choice, I must say. Just arrest Joe Biden first.

Texas could probably secede. It would be more difficult than they think. The truth is, most states would really struggle. Imagine Alabama becoming it's own country.

Rick Parry cracks me up. I hope he runs for President again, platform being Carl's Junior and Immigration (so hilarious).

The problem with Texas seceding, just like anybody else, is that the Feds would probably consider them a rogue state and make trade illegal with them. If that were the case, then it would be a major problem. Texas would have to look South for certain items to keep trade going. Alabama wouldn't stand a chance for sure.

Rick Perry is a dunderhead and apparently wants to kill kids with the HPV vaccine that is causing uproar in Colombia, but at least he knows that it's up to him to protect the border if the Feds fail to do so. Hopefully he stays in Texas.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005

Texas would be the only State IMO that would survive on it's own.

OP
Red

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #500
    So the result was much as expected.

Never expected a 'yes' vote, but I thought it might have been slightly closer.

Feel it was quite important that the 'yes' vote didn't drop significantly below the 45% mark as it then would have been easier for the Westminster parties to offer the bare-minimum level of reform.

Anyway, whether the vote was 'yes' or 'no', it was just to determine the starting positions for negotiations that will now have to take place.

Can't even say I'm particularly put out at the outcome at this point.

I'll have to wait years and see what happens from now before I can say how disappointing the result is.

Sad day for Scotland.

Is it true that a majority of older folks voted to stay with the UK? Or was it a relatively mixed vote?
    I think there was a fair mix.

I believe older folk were expected to be a 'no' vote.

But the last suggestion I heard was that 16 and 17 year olds (first time they've been allowed to vote in anything) were also going to come down on the 'no' side, albeit narrowly.

This result should come as no surprise to anyone who knows just how many Rangers fans there are in Scotland.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)