UK Politics (5 Viewers)

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
I Wish everyone would just shut up already and stop pretending that this is in the least bit important. If scotland want to go then let them go and shut up, if scotland want to stay then stay and shut up. This has been a series of the most inconsequential, ludicrous, and dull rhetoric i've lived through in political discourse and anyone with half a mind shouldn't care less what happens when petty nationalists shout on either side of the border.

:stuckup:

OP
Red

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #404
    Wasn't Scotland conquered by England? I know the "Tender of Union" and all that, but did Scotland really have much choice?
    Scotland had been conquered by England at times in the past, but at the point of both the Union of the Crowns and the Act of Union, Scotland was an independent country which chose to become part of the UK.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
    I know nothing about this, but I think you're underrating this quite a bit :p
    If you know nothing about this, how can you comment?

- - - Updated - - -

Scotland had been conquered by England at times in the past, but at the point of both the Union of the Crowns and the Act of Union, Scotland was an independent country which chose to become part of the UK.
    Scotland has conquered parts of England too and a Scottish King (James) ruled England and Scotland and created the first 'union' setting precedent for for the current one.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
    Jun 17, 2011
    If you know nothing about this, how can you comment?

- - - Updated - - -

Scotland has conquered parts of England too and a Scottish King (James) ruled England and Scotland and created the first 'union' setting precedent for for the current one.
    It's breaking up the 6th largest economy in the world, has to amount to something then, yes?

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #408
    I Wish everyone would just shut up already and stop pretending that this is in the least bit important. If scotland want to go then let them go and shut up, if scotland want to stay then stay and shut up. This has been a series of the most inconsequential, ludicrous, and dull rhetoric i've lived through in political discourse and anyone with half a mind shouldn't care less what happens when petty nationalists shout on either side of the border.

:stuckup:
    I object to being labelled a petty nationalist.

I'd have though you might understand the compelling democratic reasons for being pro-independence:

- a fair voting system
    - not having to contend with the unelected House of Lords
    - having the chance to be involved in creating a written constitution
    - not spending half the time being ruled by a government that can barely win a single seat in Scotland

If I could imagine anything happening in the foreseeble future to allow any of that change to happen without Scotland breaking away, I'd be far less inclined to back independence.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009

I'd have though you might understand the compelling democratic reasons for being pro-independence:

- a fair voting system
    - not spending half the time being ruled by a government that can barely win a single seat in Scotland

If I could imagine anything happening in the foreseeble future to allow any of that change to happen without Scotland breaking away, I'd be far less inclined to back independence.
    This is the exact rhetoric that I despise. As if Scotland isn't part of the UK equally as everyone else, as if we don't all deal with the same inequalities, as if you don't vote in the same elections as the rest of the UK and elect the same politicians.

We had the AV referendum and it lost. Inherited peerages no longer exist. It is a debate of petty nationalism on both sides and it's pathetic on both sides.

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #411
    But why shouldn't we not be part of the UK and try and do better?

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
    But why shouldn't we not be part of the UK and try and do better?
    I said that I don't care what you do as long as you give the petty nationalism the shush. I think both sides do well in either situation, there's nothing to lose either way and I think I'd rather you were independent but for the stupid arguments proposed by the loudest in the media.

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #414
    I said that I don't care what you do as long as you give the petty nationalism the shush. I think both sides do well in either situation, there's nothing to lose either way and I think I'd rather you were independent but for the stupid arguments proposed by the loudest in the media.
    I still fail to see how I am being petty or nationalistic.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
    You disgusting anti Scottish piece of shit.
    I'm anti idiot/bigot/bully and both sides of the debate are based in those three terms.

When the everyone in the world has basic civil liberties, clean water, and food, perhaps petty nationalism might be worth listening to before realising how preposterous it is (on both sides).

- - - Updated - - -

I still fail to see how I am being petty or nationalistic.
    I never said you were.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004

- a fair voting system

:tup:

All of that is incredibly important stuff.

If that's petty nationalism, then anybody who isn't a petty nationalist is an absolute 'tard.

- - - Updated - - -

When the everyone in the world has basic civil liberties, clean water, and food, perhaps petty nationalism might be worth listening to before realising how preposterous it is (on both sides).

That's not Scotland's problem, nor is it my problem, or the problem of anybody else here for that matter since we all have computers and have access to the internet (which usually costs money, ipso facto you must have basic human rights). Civil liberties arrive from independence and the creation of a bill of rights by the people and for the people. Last time I checked, the wants and desires of other parts of the UK are not necessarily those of the folks in Scotland. If this is the case, what is the logical reasoning to be against Red's argument?

Those that unfortunately do not have basic human rights will not be helped by anybody but themselves. There is no free lunch in economics, and there is no evidence in history that globalism leads to some moronic paradise. It will only compound suffering from bloated bureaucracies and oppression of anybody other than the elite class.

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014

- a fair voting system

I love you :touched:

And to all that say that this is not important. This is one of the few times that the people can make themselves heard through referendum in the UK. Having direct democracy instead of a representative democracy is a feking huge deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)