UK Politics (8 Viewers)

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
That's to cover a 2-year stay. It is still a ridiculous amount. The Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS), which is £1045 per year, alone is super abusive; it's basically a Ponzi scheme to keep paying for old people's healthcare. On top of that, I still have to pay income tax and National Insurance each month. Essentially, I am being double-taxed.

- - - Updated - - -

My 6 year stay in the UK until I become a citizen is going to cost me £11k in total.
I think this is what they want. Less immigrants.

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
There's something like 4m non-UK nationals legitimately working in the UK (I.e. paying taxes), but 1.6m non-UK nationals claiming benefits. Pros and cons either way, but obviously it's not great for anyone to have to pay extra money each year. Not sure how this compares to other countries.

Essentially you're paying an added tariff to use the NHS, which we all know is already strained. As someone who has had very limited value for money from the NHS over 40 years (being born, having stitches once as a kid, Covid jabs) I can sympathise, but my gf for example has had enough for both of us, so it evens out. And one day I'm sure I'll need to use it.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
There's something like 4m non-UK nationals legitimately working in the UK (I.e. paying taxes), but 1.6m non-UK nationals claiming benefits. Pros and cons either way, but obviously it's not great for anyone to have to pay extra money each year. Not sure how this compares to other countries.

Essentially you're paying an added tariff to use the NHS, which we all know is already strained. As someone who has had very limited value for money from the NHS over 40 years (being born, having stitches once as a kid, Covid jabs) I can sympathise, but my gf for example has had enough for both of us, so it evens out. And one day I'm sure I'll need to use it.
I like to think that most legal immigrants (at least all the ones that are not asylum seekers or refugees) have a net positive contribution towards the NHS and overall welfare (we don't have access to benefits) since most of us are young people.

Anyway, I agree that that the UK does need less people because of the fucked up housing situation.

My main problem with these fee increases if that we are essentially cash cows for the Tories to pay workers in the public sector. Since we cannot vote, it's fine to screw us over because it has no repercussions on the Party's popularity. I'm also sick of Tories blaming immigration for everything, like housing for instance, when it's been the party's incompetence to foresee what is happening now.

You best believe that when I become a citizen, I'm never voting for these fuckers.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
I like to think that most legal immigrants (at least all the ones that are not asylum seekers or refugees) have a net positive contribution towards the NHS and overall welfare (we don't have access to benefits) since most of us are young people.

Anyway, I agree that that the UK does need less people because of the fucked up housing situation.

My main problem with these fee increases if that we are essentially cash cows for the Tories to pay workers in the public sector. Since we cannot vote, it's fine to screw us over because it has no repercussions on the Party's popularity. I'm also sick of Tories blaming immigration for everything, like housing for instance, when it's been the party's incompetence to foresee what is happening now.

You best believe that when I become a citizen, I'm never voting for these fuckers.
You make it sound like they want to pay public sector workers more. Unfortunately we have been in a period of extraordinary global inflation and various groups have gone on strike to force pay rises as a result. They need paid for, along with other schemes like covid support and given the cost of living issues, increasing tax isn't a great idea It has to come from many sources and you are unfortunate that you are one of the people impacted in an obvious hit. To the average UK person I think most would be favourable to increasing fees for visas, particularly for people where a large percentage can pay it without many problems, rather than tax increasing even more.

You'll have had access to the NHS basically on arrival. If you broke your leg you could get treated for free without contributing much via tax. Compare the cost to somewhere without a public health scheme. You are fortunate to not have had to use the hospitals and paid more than you have got back. I'm in the same boat. But there are always people on the other side.

Housing has been an issue for every government I can remember. We live on a small island with limited space and an increasing population (low death rate/high net migration),it is unlikely to be solved anytime soon.

Last edited:

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
You make it sound like they want to pay public sector workers more. Unfortunately we have been in a period of extraordinary global inflation and various groups have gone on strike to force pay rises as a result. They need paid for, along with other schemes like covid support and given the cost of living issues, increasing tax isn't a great idea It has to come from many sources and you are unfortunate that you are one of the people impacted in an obvious hit. To the average UK person I think most would be favourable to increasing fees for visas, particularly for people where a large percentage can pay it without many problems, rather than tax increasing even more.

You'll have had access to the NHS basically on arrival. If you broke your leg you could get treated for free without contributing much via tax. Compare the cost to somewhere without a public health scheme. You are fortunate to not have had to use the hospitals and paid more than you have got back. I'm in the same boat. But there are always people on the other side.

Housing has been an issue for every government I can remember. We live on a small island with limited space and an increasing population (low death rate/high net migration),it is unlikely to be solved anytime soon.
Isn't that the whole point of increasing immigration fees? I recall Rishi talking about it.

I guess only time will tell whether increasing fees has a negative or positive effect. It's not like UK salaries are sky high, they are actually quite low. Hopefully the economy doesn't suffer from a lack of foreign skilled workers in the future.

Found this Oxford study done a few years ago:

"The average UK-based migrant from Europe contributed approximately £2,300 more to UK public finances in 2016/17 than the average UK adult. In comparison, each UK born adult contributed £70 less than the average, and each non-European migrant contributed over £800 less than the average.

The average European migrant arriving in the UK in 2016 will contribute £78,000 more than they take out in public services and benefits over their time spent in the UK (assuming a balanced national budget), and the average non-European migrant will make a positive net contribution of £28,000 while living here. By comparison, the average UK citizen’s net lifetime contribution in this scenario is zero.

Taken together, this means that the migrants who arrived in 2016 will make a total net positive contribution of £26.9 billion to the UK’s public finances over the entirety of their stay. The value of this to the UK’s public finances is equivalent to putting approximately 5p on income tax rates (across all marginal rate bands) in that year."

https://www.oxfordeconomics.com/resource/the-fiscal-impact-of-immigration-on-the-uk/#:~:text=The average European migrant arriving,£28,000 while living here.

Hopefully the Ponzi scheme doesn't crumble.

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect that the main reason non-European migrants don't contribute as much as European ones is because the UK has to spend quite a bit of resources on refugees.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Curious to know why was Rwanda picked in the first place?
Well why not Rwanda?
1000060079.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I saw some polling data that showed that the Conservatives haven’t been this unpopular in decades.
Well you can say what Borris did with party gate and the hypocrisy during the pandemic didn't help, further damaged by a few months of the mad Liz Truss and her chancellor fucking up the country some more only for Rishi to pretty much try to pick up the pieces but also failing. Meanwhile the general public perception is that the alternatives to the conservatives aren't exactly providing any real solutions themselves, just the usual sitting on the fence shit and then point out "oh we wouldn't have done that" when something goes wrong.

Last edited:

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Vote of No Confidence in Humza coming up after the collapse of the coalition with the greens. He'll need to either get the greens back on side or convince Ash Regan to support him - but she ran against him in the leadership bid then jumped to Alba.

She'll want anti-trans promises, which the SNP would lose all credibility if he was willing to do so. If he loses it'll be a Holyrood election and he'll be replaced probably by Forbes as SNP leader.

It's all unravelling for the SNP. Independence isn't happening. We fucked our chance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)