UK Politics (9 Viewers)

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Boris Johnson foreign secretary...now I know someone is trolling.
Nope. May has made a smart move by putting three brexiteers in charge of the negotiations (besides her). She is pretty much saying: you've made your bed, now lie in it.

#brexit will come at a heavy price, the only people that can legitimately sell a 2nd referendum or a bad deal is the brexiteers. BoJo is not there to be a civil servant or diplomat. He's there to sell Brexit or fail. Either way May will strengthen her position in the conservative party and she is on a straight path towards winning in 2020 by putting David, Johnson and Fox in their respective positions.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Nope. May has made a smart move by putting three brexiteers in charge of the negotiations (besides her). She is pretty much saying: you've made your bed, now lie in it.

#brexit will come at a heavy price, the only people that can legitimately sell a 2nd referendum or a bad deal is the brexiteers. BoJo is not there to be a civil servant or diplomat. He's there to sell Brexit or fail. Either way May will strengthen her position in the conservative party and she is on a straight path towards winning in 2020 by putting David, Johnson and Fox in their respective positions.
You still have to explain how Nazi antisemitic laws demonstrate the large presence of atheist Jews in 1930's Europe.

Besides that I think you're right. And not only is it a smart move, it is also just the right thing to do. That some brexit advocates are running away from their responsibilities now just borders on the criminal.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
You still have to explain how Nazi antisemitic laws demonstrate the large presence of atheist Jews in 1930's Europe.

Besides that I think you're right. And not only is it a smart move, it is also just the right thing to do. That some brexit advocates are running away from their responsibilities now just borders on the criminal.
You never explained :(, @Maddy

OP
Red

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #1,246
    I can't be arsed with going though the whole thing again.

Election/referendum overload over the last few years.

But I think there is a good case for holding another referendum.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
    Jul 13, 2013
    You never explained :(, @Maddy
    Not sure if the argument holds up, but I can see a connection.

The antisemitic laws define Jews as a race - if all/nearly all Jews were religious, they wouldn't have had to go to such lengths. A simple discrimination by religion would have sufficed.

Of course that's looking at the matter from one perspective only, and it's not anywhere near a conclusive proof. But I would say the laws do indicate or imply that there were a significant amount of Jews no actively practising their religion.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Not sure if the argument holds up, but I can see a connection.

The antisemitic laws define Jews as a race - if all/nearly all Jews were religious, they wouldn't have had to go to such lengths. A simple discrimination by religion would have sufficed.

Of course that's looking at the matter from one perspective only, and it's not anywhere near a conclusive proof. But I would say the laws do indicate or imply that there were a significant amount of Jews no actively practising their religion.
    I guess it sort of holds up. There's something forced about that argumentation though, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
    Mar 13, 2011
    I can't be arsed with going though the whole thing again.

Election/referendum overload over the last few years.

But I think there is a good case for holding another referendum.
    That's pretty much how I feel @JuveJay

The case is strong, and the SNP played their hand brilliantly, they knew Scots would vote against Brexit and decided to use it as leverage for another indyref. Perhaps that says something about them being in touch with the electorate.

I think we would vote for independence this time but then again I felt the same last time. By then we would have (wishful thinking) solid facts about the brexit deal and the future of an independent Scotland in Europe. With that in mind why the fuck not? The last independence referendum was anything but informed.

- - - Updated - - -

This also gives me greater incentive to go back and live in Scotland for a while :D

Boksic

May 11, 2005
    Moronic timing for yet another referendum.

It completely undermines the UK at a key time in negotiating Brexit. We should be pulling together to get as good a deal for everyone in the UK. I see a lot said about Scotland being in the EU but we have already been told that we would leave the EU with the rest of the UK and there is no guarantee we would get back in or what sort of conditions would be imposed when applying given the fact that we would be a brand new country with debt.

Add to that that the oil price is significantly lower than what it was when the SNP presented wildly optimistic economic projections when they tried to make a case 2 years ago, then the timing is bizarre.

I see numerous reasons not to go ahead with independence but the key issue for me is the currency, which the SNP have never been able to find an answer for. Continuing to use the pound would be akin to using the Euro or the Dollar or Yen, we would have no control over it. Any high school economics student can tell you that controlling currency is one of the most important ways to control an economy.

I'd much rather we avoid another hugely divisive referendum and pull together. Maybe we should put our resources into fixing the failing schools and health care in the country instead.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    Looks like rank opportunism to me, but I can see the strong attraction for the leave voters to use it. It gives strong reasoning, even if it is being used as a means to an end.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    When May called the election it seemed like she would need to have an abysmal run to put that in jeopardy. She has tried her best to do that and I get the feeling that it will be a lot closer tomorrow than most expected.

And this is from someone who struggles to identify with Jeremy Corbyn and absolutely despises the human waste that is Diane Abbott, the appalling racist who is tolerated and enhanced only by her ethnicity and gender.

Honestly, I think the choices now are the worst we ever had. UKIP is done and dusted, SNP with Sturgeon the Salmond puppet screeching "referendum" as 90% of party policy is a similar one-trick pony, then you have fricking Corbyn or May to choose from.

SAD!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    When May called the election it seemed like she would need to have an abysmal run to put that in jeopardy. She has tried her best to do that and I get the feeling that it will be a lot closer tomorrow than most expected.

And this is from someone who struggles to identify with Jeremy Corbyn and absolutely despises the human waste that is Diane Abbott
    she related to Tony Abbott?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    Well that was funny. The exit polls were spot on - Conservatives won by not by enough seats for a majority, so we go to a hung parliament. Tories were a few seats short so they will have the DUP (Democratic Unionist Party) of Northern Ireland and their 10 seats on board to make up the difference. It is quite funny to see Corbyn's links to the old IRA and Sinn Fein, then you have May getting the begging bowl out for the DUP.

Embarrassing result for THeresa May. Seems a lot more young people voted and Labour had a good turnout. I can see May being chucked out a little further down the line.

Corbyn is celebrating it like a victory. I suppose it is considering he was at the bottom, but you can only go one way from there. The next GE should see him in a strong position.

SNP took a bit of a battering in Scotland, Tories did well there. Normal Tory areas around here like Warwick and Leamington surprisingly had a massive swing towards Labour and red wins, that has to be a younger vote.

Another political mess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)