UEFA Coefficient (6 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
One can't say Italian football is on the rise when Milan and Roma are in decline. That should be obvious to everyone. And regardless, just looking at the state of affairs in Italy, calcio isn't on the rise.

I fully understand Sergio's concerns, even if I don't really care for nor like teams such as Inter or Milan. But I can guarantee that if Serie A does start to lose CL spots, and by chance we find ourselves left out of the loop, there will be a fair amount of hypocrites here.

Just take a look at English football fans. They take (perhaps too much) pride in the difficulty and success of their league, which immediately attracts moronic fans across the world because they want to watch the best. If Juventus was in the Prem, we'd have far more fans across the world, along with revenue. That isn't something to sneeze at.

Much of running a successful business is public perception. If the public doesn't believe you sell a premier product, they won't buy into it. The difference between the technology industry and football is that while Apple having a monopoly means more market share and revenue for them, for football clubs it means you lose business to other markets, as in England. So being the only top club in a league eventually leads to fewer fans in the long run. Nobody wants to see 5-0 blowouts for Juventus every week except for those who have already been a fan for years. New football fans will want to naturally flock to the leagues and teams with the most exposure and success; Italian club exposure is in a downtrend right now.

This is just something to think about. Unfortunately, the Premiership has mastered what I described above, and all their sides benefit from it. Even though we might receive more capital from having fewer Serie A sides in Europe, in the long run the cash flow from exposure will dwindle and outweigh other areas of revenue.

But this is just my objective opinion on the matter.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
People wouldn't mind if we become a Bayern or Lyon of our league. Except with the German league becoming stronger than Serie A, Bayern might become us and Wolfsburg and Bremen, inter and Milan.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Well, furthermore, many people here make the argument that Inter's success over the past few years was due to the mediocrity of the league after Calciopoli. People have already complained about it, so the hypocrisy is already alive and kicking. If we were in the same position as them, they wouldn't complain at all, obviously.

RavaneVialli

Jan 27, 2008
Serie A losing the fourth spot in CL is the fastest way to... regain it. Fourth German club will be as successful in CL as Fiorentina is now, while fourth Italian club should do definitely better in EL and bring more points to UEFA coefficient than the German one in CL. This can be a turning point for teams like Fiorentina that aren't strong enough to get to play-offs in CL, while they have all they need to take a shot at EL semi-final or even final and gradually rise financially to prepare themselves for the CL level. So this fourth CL spot is at the moment pro forma really, becase even if Serie A loses it, it will be regained as soon as those 4th spot contenders win something in EL and become strong enough to deserve the CL spot.

Besides that: I'm not Italian, why should I care about sport infrastructure in Florence or Genoa, their financial books etc. as long as Juventus, the club I support, is (or in two years will be with a new stadium) at the good level of other European giants, or even better than them, being financed only with its own funds?

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Uefa cup games are played on Thursdays, so it gives teams less time to prepare for weekend matches, therefore i am not too sure even if things change, "smaller" teams will take Uefa cup seriously. It def has a difference if you play your game on Tuesday or Thursday (especially if its away game).

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
Only if other teams can fill the gap, which they can not. Lets not kid ourselves here.
I dunno, i'd place Genoa and Lazio as good chances in CL qualifiers.

Thing is, the other teams may be better managed financially with regard to the CL money, we can't tell until it happens.

Roma not in the champions league is no loss whatsoever.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
Besides that: I'm not Italian, why should I care about sport infrastructure in Florence or Genoa, their financial books etc. as long as Juventus, the club I support, is (or in two years will be with a new stadium) at the good level of other European giants, or even better than them, being financed only with its own funds?
Exactly!

People here are also forgetting the fact that Genoa, Napoli or Lazio didn't start to improve because of UEFA's money.. And Yes! I still insist that Italian football is in rise too, Inter is very very strong, and we see what's happening with Juve, Roma and Milan are in decline because of their own stupidity, the rest of the teams started to grow since last year.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I don't think you can say that Italian football is on the rise.

I would say that the decline has probably been halted, but I'm not sure there is much improvement yet.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
One can't say Italian football is on the rise when Milan and Roma are in decline. That should be obvious to everyone. And regardless, just looking at the state of affairs in Italy, calcio isn't on the rise.

I fully understand Sergio's concerns, even if I don't really care for nor like teams such as Inter or Milan. But I can guarantee that if Serie A does start to lose CL spots, and by chance we find ourselves left out of the loop, there will be a fair amount of hypocrites here.

Just take a look at English football fans. They take (perhaps too much) pride in the difficulty and success of their league, which immediately attracts moronic fans across the world because they want to watch the best. If Juventus was in the Prem, we'd have far more fans across the world, along with revenue. That isn't something to sneeze at.

Much of running a successful business is public perception. If the public doesn't believe you sell a premier product, they won't buy into it. The difference between the technology industry and football is that while Apple having a monopoly means more market share and revenue for them, for football clubs it means you lose business to other markets, as in England. So being the only top club in a league eventually leads to fewer fans in the long run. Nobody wants to see 5-0 blowouts for Juventus every week except for those who have already been a fan for years. New football fans will want to naturally flock to the leagues and teams with the most exposure and success; Italian club exposure is in a downtrend right now.

This is just something to think about. Unfortunately, the Premiership has mastered what I described above, and all their sides benefit from it. Even though we might receive more capital from having fewer Serie A sides in Europe, in the long run the cash flow from exposure will dwindle and outweigh other areas of revenue.

But this is just my objective opinion on the matter.

Andy, you should know opinions are never objective! :snoop:

That being said, I agree with your post completely!
If Serie A keeps getting worse, we'll end up with a league like the French one: still interesting to watch, but what chances do the French teams really have on the highest European level? Right now, if you're the champion (or 2nd / 3rd) of England, Spain or Italy, you're immediately a candidate to win the CL, just because you're coming from a strong league. Now, what chances do Bordeaux or Lyon realistically have to win the CL? Maybe once in 20 years?

To end on a positive note. I think the Italian league is on the rise again. A lot of teams are trying to follow Juve's example and are starting up projects for new stadiums. Some big teams, with big fanbases, are back. The general level of football seems to be higher than 3 years ago, ...

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
People are over dramatizing things.
Milan are currently in a joke state, but its their own undoing, there been talks about takeover for a while, will see how it goes, but a club like milan will never "vanish" like some here say with their french ligue comments. A club like Milan has a lot of history, add to that the rivalry with Inter. Now i know some will say but look they already have dropped, but again its more becauce of their management. Milan is not really run like a business, more like a family in some ways, with keeping extending the contracts of long "servants". But sooner or later the club will be sold.

Roma are in worse case, it amazes me how i hear they have no money, while they have now been regular in CL for couple of seasons and they have progressed quite far, so one has to ask where has the money gone? Add to that idiotic transfer policy, buying cheaply but lowering the quality, no wonder the results are not coming.

But i would like to point out that those 2 seasons we were not playing, have had the most impact in the ratings drop, but the rivals where cheering and laughing along when we went to B, so there you have it, why should I as a Juventus supporter now "secretly" support Inter and Milan in CL for the good of Italian football? F--k them, beside the way things are going, i dont see us having a problem to make the top 3 (and please dont come with the sooner or later we will finish 4th, well i dont see it happening for at least next 2-3 seasons, and by then the ratings might be higher again).

So basically, there are only 3 clubs who can do something in CL when it comes to italian football.

But i would say that italian football is on a rise, sort of. Cause i see teams like Genoa & Napoli getting stronger. But if they get stronger, then sooner or later the Milans and Romas also have to get stronger because there is more competition for european spots.

And for those who are "rooting" for italian football. Having 1 spot taken from CL might not be all that bad in long run, cause it could be a wake up call.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Its not about supporting other teams. Jesus Christ already. It's about supporting the league and the relative quality and health of it. No one here is "rooting" for Inter or Milan.

But to sit there and say, "I don't care about the rest of the league as long as Juve, blah, blah,blah" is just crazy.

Let me just re-iterate this, for the 17th time in the past hour.

NO ONE IS SAYING THAT YOU SHOULD ROOT FOR OTHER TEAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!

But how can anybody honestly sit here today and say that the league is on the rise, or the bleeding has stopped?? No it hasn't. Every year, one or two major stars are leaving, and the Serie A used to be the league where the stars ran to, not ran from.

There won't be much of a league if Serie A continues to fall the way it has. And it will be Juve and INter and everyone else, and that is not a fun league to watch at all, regardless of where your affiliations lie

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Serie A losing the fourth spot in CL is the fastest way to... regain it. Fourth German club will be as successful in CL as Fiorentina is now, while fourth Italian club should do definitely better in EL and bring more points to UEFA coefficient than the German one in CL. This can be a turning point for teams like Fiorentina that aren't strong enough to get to play-offs in CL, while they have all they need to take a shot at EL semi-final or even final and gradually rise financially to prepare themselves for the CL level. So this fourth CL spot is at the moment pro forma really, becase even if Serie A loses it, it will be regained as soon as those 4th spot contenders win something in EL and become strong enough to deserve the CL spot.

Who cares if you're Italian or not???? What does that have anything to do with it??

You are a follower of an ITALIAN TEAM in an ITALIAN LEAGUE. IF that league is starting to go to shit, then it should concern you

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
Im worried. This could mean that Serie A becomes less attractive and non-italian country's will show Serie A less and less and good players won't end up in Serie A cuz its not attractive enough.

RavaneVialli

Jan 27, 2008
Who cares if you're Italian or not???? What does that have anything to do with it??

You are a follower of an ITALIAN TEAM in an ITALIAN LEAGUE. IF that league is starting to go to shit, then it should concern you
It does, because it's not like my children will be profiting from this infrastructure. It doesn't affect me in any possible way. Any. If I was Italian, I'd probably care about infrustructure in my country, though.

I am following an Italian team with modern Vinovo, with a new stadium being built, in a great financial condition and I expect this team to dominate the league in the coming seasons as well as reaching at least CL semi-finals year by year. What the level of the league, which, by the way, becomes stroner every year (if we consider how Genoa or Napoli have strenghtened themselves for the last 2 years, no to mention Inter), has to do with it? Bayern plays in a league of 3 CL spots and still was able to lure the likes of Ribery and Robben, not to mention dominating the German transfer market.

Oh, and this season Italy nearly would have had only 3 teams in CL, if Fiorentina wasn't successful against Sporting. But if Fiorentina failed to get into CL, how would it harm Serie A? It would be even better for "Italian football" due to EL matches being easier to win for them and therefore they would have brought more rating points for Serie A.

Suns said:
Im worried. This could mean that Serie A becomes less attractive and non-italian country's will show Serie A less and less and good players won't end up in Serie A cuz its not attractive enough.
It's club's financial abilities and prestige that matters, not league's prestige.
Bayern can land Robben, Stuttgart can't buy Huntelaar. Do you honestly think Huntelaar rejected Stuttgart because of Bundesliga's prestige while it wasn't a problem for Robben? No, it's money and prestige of club that counts. That's why Juventus well organized and financially stable, being successful in CL, will always attract top players.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
It does, because it's not like my children will be profiting from this infrastructure. It doesn't affect me in any possible way. Any. If I was Italian, I'd probably care about infrustructure in my country, though.

I am following an Italian team with modern Vinovo, with a new stadium being built, in a great financial condition and I expect this team to dominate the league in the coming seasons as well as reaching at least CL semi-finals year by year. What the level of the league, which, by the way, becomes stroner every year (if we consider how Genoa or Napoli have strenghtened themselves for the last 2 years, no to mention Inter), has to do with it? Bayern plays in a league of 3 CL spots and still was able to lure the likes of Ribery and Robben, not to mention dominating the German transfer market.

Oh, and this season Italy nearly would have had only 3 teams in CL, if Fiorentina wasn't successful against Sporting. But if Fiorentina failed to get into CL, how would it harm Serie A? It would be even better for "Italian football" due to EL matches being easier to win for them and therefore they would have brought more rating points for Serie A.

It's club's financial abilities and prestige that matters, not league's prestige.
Bayern can land Robben, Stuttgart can't buy Huntelaar. Do you honestly think Huntelaar rejected Stuttgart because of Bundesliga's prestige while it wasn't a problem for Robben? No, it's money and prestige of club that counts. That's why Juventus well organized and financially stable, being successful in CL, will always attract top players.
So it doesn't matter to you if we were say Dynamo Kiev of 1999? A big club in a weak league that wins every year pretty much by default?

The only reason I'm interested in Juve is because it's a club in a big league where the competition is top notch. I'm not interested in my home town club or some big fish in a small pond.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)