U-21 Euro 2007 (1 Viewer)

Jul 23, 2006
Italy 3-1 Czech Republic
Aquilani 3 (I), Papadopulos 14 (C), Chiellini 28 (I), Rossi 45 (I)
Arnhem, Holland

Italy did their duty with a comfortable 3-1 win over the Czechs, but it was not enough to stay in the European Championships. The Azzurrini enter a play-off with Portugal for a place in the 2008 Olympics after England's 2-0 victory over Serbia.

The Azzurrini needed a victory here and that England failed to beat Serbia in the other Group B game to reach the semi-finals of the European Under-21 Championships. After a defeat and a 2-2 draw, Pierluigi Casiraghi opted for a more attacking system with Giuseppe Rossi given his first start upfront. Domenico Criscito and Marco Motta were the other changes with Andrea Raggi, Raffaele Palladino and Andrea Mantovani dropping to the bench.

It took just three minutes to break the deadlock, as Alessandro Rosina was brought down outside the area and Roma's Alberto Aquilani curled a magnificent free kick into the near top corner.

However, moments later England also took the lead with a diving header from Leroy Lita against an already qualified Serbia who changed nine of their regular starting 11.

Aquilani aimed an audacious set-piece towards the target from 30 metres at a tight angle, but the goalkeeper was not taken by surprise. Alessandro Rosina whipped a deadball into the centre where Marco Andreolli just failed to get the decisive touch.

It was a costly error, as within 20 seconds the Czechs had drawn level against the run of play. Andreolli was distracted and allowed Michal Papadopulos to get in front of him, sliding the cross into the far bottom corner.

Pazzini has been unlucky so far in this competition and his angled drive was beaten away by Zlaman's outstretched foot. A spectacular Riccardo Montolivo volley from distance wasn't too far off the target and Rosina's free kick went close.

Alessandro Nocerino went into the book for a mistimed tackle on Husek and Rydel replaced the injured Jirsak.

The pressure finally paid off thanks to captain Giorgio Chiellini. The Juventus man timed his header perfectly on Rosina's free kick from the right. It was the defender's second goal of the tournament.

A splendid team move with Aquilani's inspired disguised pass for Montolivo was closed down at the last moment before Rossi could pull the trigger and soon after the Parma forward flashed a shot wide.

Rosina wanted a penalty on 38 minutes, but he was correctly booked for simulation.

In the final minute of the first half, Rossi gave Italy a two-goal cushion with a stunning strike. He skipped past a defender and placed an inch-perfect angled drive in off the inside of the far post.

After the break Emiliano Viviano had to tip a surprise Kradlubsky snapshot out from under the crossbar. Pierluigi Casiraghi made two changes, introducing Simone Padoin and Graziano Pelle' for the tired Montolivo and Pazzini.

Substitute Pelle' sprung the offside trap only to fire straight at the goalkeeper on 61 minutes and Nocerino had a long-range missile well saved. Italy were dominating with Rossi drilling wide of the near post.

Aquilani threaded through for Padoin, but the move was halted for an incorrect offside flag. Rosina made way for Parma's Daniele Dessena, bringing some fresh legs to the midfield for a 4-4-2 system.

Aquilani turned another free kick over, but it was just waiting for news from the other game now. It came with England going 2-0 up, infuriating Serbia as one of their players was down injured and had to be stretchered off. A huge brawl broke out and the referee was able to eventually calm the situation down.

Aquilani's volley into the ground was off target and Rossi tried to dribble through the entire defence, but by this stage all the attention was on the other result and their feelings of regret over dozens of wasted chances in the first two games.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
taly: Viviano; Motta, Andreoli, Chiellini, Criscito; Montolivo (Padoin 46), Nocerino, Aquilani; Rosina (Dessena 69), Rossi; Pazzini (Pelle' 54)

Czech Republic: Zlamal; Kuncl (Holenda 63), Hubnik, Klein, Svec; Rajtoral, Husek, Jirsak (Rydel 26), Kladrubsky (Krebecek 80); Kisela, Papadopulos

Ref: Thomson (Sco)

Carlo D

The Jazz Man
May 27, 2007
The true value & quality of those Azzurrini who have it will best be seen under the stabilizing influence of their more mature club level team mates. As for the coach, as far as I'm concerned, he can lift his shirt, shave his ass, & walk backwards to the FIGC office with his resignation! Even if he gets our boys past Portugal in the Olympics play off, I sincerely hope that's his last appearance as Azzurrini CT. As for Signor Zola, how big of you to admit the management team got it wrong in not playing Rossi sooner. I'm not surprised you didn't say what else you got wrong, (like the lone striker bit) but I think we all saw there was plenty else!

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
pretty goal by aquilani. What a nice free kick. Chiellni is becoming quite the force now. He's been on a scoring streak. Rossi is a talent, wonderful finish from him to cap it off. Too bad italy are out.....

zZ[-_-]Zz

¤ Il Divin Codino ¤
Apr 25, 2007
lucky that Palladino didn't play... or else he will fire blanks again like in the 1st 2 games... and yes Pazzini is garbage for the 3rd game in a row...

i think Casiraghi has realized Rossi is a class above Palladino... too bad it took him so long to figure that out...

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
zZ[-_-]Zz;1378170 said:
lucky that Palladino didn't play... or else he will fire blanks again like in the 1st 2 games... and yes Pazzini is garbage for the 3rd game in a row...

i think Casiraghi has realized Rossi is a class above Palladino... too bad it took him so long to figure that out...
Why is everyone criticizing Palladino? Was he that bad?

zZ[-_-]Zz

¤ Il Divin Codino ¤
Apr 25, 2007
Why is everyone criticizing Palladino? Was he that bad?
he looks like the 2nd comin' of Gilardino...

a) missin' the easiest of chances... repeatedly...
b) choosin' to dive when easier to score...

his consolation is that Gilardino did well at this level but flopped with the senior team... so he might do the reverse in due time...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)