True Detective (1 Viewer)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It's not about cheap laughs. The brilliance of shows like The Wire is that they understand the balance in storytelling that comes with gallows humor and the like. Doctors in ERs are cracking jokes all the time, and there's a human psychological need for that balance in the face of the darkest of human experiences.

As a writer, you risk the show taking itself too seriously and too darkly. Without the balance, there is no contrast. Black on black isn't ultimately as dark, but black against light is starker. TV programs otherwise risk becoming one-dimensional.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
And to think I almost ran him and his daughter over on a scooter in Ravello, Italy. :heart:

Just finished the show myself (about time). Nicely done. Though I thought the show got darker and darker and lacked comic levity more and more as the episodes wore on.
Interesting, I actually found the rather light ending out of place.

Also, f I remember it correctly, isn't there some (really dry and sarcastic admittedly) humor to be found in all episodes in some way?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Yes, seriously. May 2002. I was driving a rented scooter up a hill in Ravello. My wife and I were staying at an apartment, and he and his family were at the nearby Hotel Palumbo. Took a corner on the cobblestone walkway a bit too fast and made him and his girl jump outta da way.

Jul 10, 2006
Yes, seriously. May 2002. I was driving a rented scooter up a hill in Ravello. My wife and I were staying at an apartment, and he and his family were at the nearby Hotel Palumbo. Took a corner on the cobblestone walkway a bit too fast and made him and his girl jump outta da way.
lol did you talk to him or just keep on riding? :lol:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Vince Vaughn can get really annoying at times. Like when he tries to talk fast as if to pretend to be funnier or smarter, which he's not.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I like Vince but not as a serious detective. Then again the series is well written (at least season 1) so I'd put my verdictafter I watch it.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Colin is top notch when he is well directed, but oddball unfunny Vince Vaughn? They'll need to really tailor make a role just for him to make it work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)