Transfer Focus: Juventus (1 Viewer)

serfaraaz

Apr 14, 2005
Predicting a club’s summer recruitment drive can be akin to thumping your cranium against a gritted brick wall. If the transfer guru is Luciano Moggi, it is more like the Great Wall of China.
To the untrained eye, reading the intentions of the Bianconeri’s omniscient puppet master can be murky water indeed. The ex-Napoli mover and shaker carefully despatches numerous red herrings for media and public digestion, but common sense and a pinch of cynicism aids perception of his countless rhetorical conceits.

Moggi annually maintains there will be minor changes at most, while all the big names will stay. History shows this not always the case.

CAPITAL
Juventus are not exactly tight, but frank austerity where possible is policy in the Delle Alpi corridors of power. President Grande Stevens stated there was no money available, but this is not technically true. A comparatively healthy profit margin in the last financial year, at least compared to the penniless Serie A majority, has been supplement by a cash windfall courtesy of the Scudetto triumph. However, the Old Lady’s true spending power is rooted in the commodities she already possesses. Injury prone David Trezeguet is likely to depart and, at 28 years old, would fetch a hefty sum from one of many suitors. The wily acquisition of Adrian Mutu on a free transfer in January could prove a potent bargaining tool on the peninsula (although I suspect he will stay), while the seemingly surplus stock of Olivier Kapo, Stephan Appiah and Igor Tudor (on loan at Siena) still hold strong reputations on the continent, and would all bring in decent fees.

TACTICS
It is easy to understand signings when the coach’s tactical plan is clear, and Fabio Capello’s belief in 4-4-2 is well known. He may have fleetingly fielded three forwards during his maiden term with the Bianconeri but that was often enforced due to limited options in offensive midfield, predominantly due to Pavel Nedved’s injury nightmare. Consequently, it seems clear that the Don’s choice of system for 05/06 will certainly involve a back four and two forwards, with a few possible intricacies in the midfield quartet.

DEFENCE
Problems primarily surfaced when first choice players were missing, and bolstering across the defensive board is clearly required. At full back, 35 year old Juve stalwart Gianluca Pessotto looked suspect at times while Alessandro Birindelli could not re-produce Jonathan Zebina’s forward foraging down the right flank – a staple of the Frenchman that was clearly missed in his absence. Centre backs Lilian Thuram and particularly Fabio Cannavaro were excellent, and their undoubted class ensures the advancing years are not cause for concern just yet. However, reliable back-up was again painstakingly absent. Bayern Munchen stoppers Robert Kovac and Samuel Kuffour have been mooted as possible Bosman signings, while Ivan Helguera has also been mentioned. Some younger central defensive talents have been linked such as Ajax’s John Heitinga, and the La Liga duo Pablo Ibanez and Gonzalo Rodriguez of Atletico and Villarreal respectively. Impressive young Fiorentina left-back Giorgio Chiellini (co-owned by Juve) should return to support Gianluca Zambrotta, while Marco Cassetti and Parma’s sought-after Azzurri regular Daniele Bonera are possible signings – the latter is an ideal and likely purchase due to equal competence at centre and right back. Three or four new faces are expected, and certainly needed.

MIDFIELD
The main bone of contention. Emerson is key to the team and despite some unfounded rumours that he is unsettled, you can assume he will remain at the club. The gap in desperate need of filling is a central midfield partner for the Brazilian, as all who occupied that slot have failed to convince – hence the constant chopping and changing. Arsenal’s Edu is a possible free transfer while Lecce’s Cristian Ledesma has been heavily linked, and River Plate’s classy Javier Mascherano is bound to join a major European club this summer – it could well be the Old Lady. Like the defence, the back up midfield cohort had questionable impact and creativity was frequently negligible. Mauro Camoranesi won plaudits, but in truth he was often the best of a bad bunch. It is clearly an area that can be improved, and Bologna’s Mourad Meghni (Zidane’s heir apparent) represents a long time target that could finally materialise.

ATTACK
Antonio Cassano and Alberto Gilardino have both been heavily associated with big money switches to the Bianconeri this summer (the latter is more likely), but the validity of these statements must be anchored with some logic. Inter’s potential sale of Adriano could trigger a merry-go-round of the aforementioned forwards, but it remains questionable that Juve will be involved. Furthermore, Francesco Totti’s apparent contract renewal should convince Cassano to stay in Rome. Alex Del Piero seems certain to remain at the Delle Alpi, and Adrian Mutu occupies a similar on-filed role. So, one or the other is likely to be partnered with Zlatan Ibrahimovic up front, meaning any new striking acquisition wshould be quality back-up to the big Swede. Juve always try to buy Italian and, as such, the likes of Vincenzo Iaquinta or Andrea Carraciolo are more likely candidates to be representing La Vecchia Signora next term.

CONCLUSION
With Juve it is most often evolution, not revolution. Making fire with the wood we have’ is perhaps austerity gone mad, so expect at least one big money signing, but fanciful rumours associated with the Bianconeri rarely come to fruition.

Buy on AliExpress.com

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
Goal.com

I dont think he's right about trying not to be right about Juves transfer plans :D

but I think he exagerrates the names for defenders, I doubt we will bring in anybody from Parma, rather take the free bees so we can consentrate our money on a much needed quality midfielder.
He had also stated before that Masiello will be given his chance next year and honestly I would love to see that.

OP

serfaraaz

Apr 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #5
    i think the article is right that we sell trezguet and have money to buy gila i think grande stevens ssaid there is no money but last year moggi said there was 30m euros from tv rights and sponporship deals i see no reason why dont have money

OP

serfaraaz

Apr 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #6
    nobody knows moggi palns but iam quite sure that ither gila and cassano will join juventus

Juventinoo

Ertuğrul Oğlu Osman
    Oct 20, 2004
    this is my dream and i feel it can be true

Zambro Thuram Canna Chellini

......................Emo...................
    Camo...............................Nedy

.................Cassano.....................

........Zala.............Gila..................

and let one just stop us

forza juve:fero::fero:

ebraheej

Jul 16, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Juventinoo ] ++

and let one just stop us

Zalayeta?:eek:

arc

Mar 11, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Juventinoo ] ++

and let one just stop us

where is dp :groan:

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
    Oct 27, 2004
    ----------------------Buffon

---Zambrotta--Thuram--Canna--Chiellini

--------------------Emerson
    ---Camo--------------------------------Neddy

----------------------Mutu/DP

-------------Zlatan-------Gilagol

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    Zambrotta--Canna--Thuram--Chiellini
    ----------------Emerson---------------
    Camoranesi--------------Nedved----
    ---------Mutu-----------Del Piero---
    ----------Zlatan/Gilardino-------

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Wouldn't you consider that a bit too much on the offensive end Desmond? And you know Capello always wants to use two defensive midfielders.

Buffon

Cassetti - Thuram - Cannavaro - Zambrotta

Camoranesi - Emerson - Mozart - Nedved

Ibrahimovic - (Mutu, Del Piero, or Trezeguet)

That certainly seems realistic.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
    Wouldn't you consider that a bit too much on the offensive end Desmond? And you know Capello always wants to use two defensive midfielders.

Buffon

Cassetti - Thuram - Cannavaro - Zambrotta

Camoranesi - Emerson - Mozart - Nedved

Ibrahimovic - (Mutu, Del Piero, or Trezeguet)

That certainly seems realistic.
    That would of course be a more realistic prediction, but I'm skeptical having Mozart in such a vital holding position.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)