Tragic and Shocking Loss! (1 Viewer)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
Mark Vivien Foe Dies

06/26/2003. Mark Vivien Foe has died after tonight's Confederations Cup semi-final between Cameroon and Colombia, Fifa have announced.

Foe, 28, collapsed in the 72nd minutes of the match and it is reported that he suffered a heart attack.

Medical staff tried to resuscitate him for around 45 minutes without success and one of Fifa's doctors confirmed the worst shortly after full time.

"The French doctors tried to reanimate him for 45 minutes. During these 45 minutes, we had unfortunately no reaction from the player," Adam Muller said.

A Fifa spokesman added: "This is a very sad day for football, for FIFA and for the player's family, this is all we can say at the moment."

The Lyon player, who was winning his 62nd cap, spent last season on loan at Manchester City.

Cameroon won the match 1-0.

The following semi-final between France and Turkey, which was being played at Lyon's Stade Gerland, was preceded by a minute silence and the news had visibly effected some of the players and especially France's coach Jacques Santini, who used to coach Foe at Lyon.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/UCL/news/Kind=1/newsId=77284.html

:eek: :shocked: :down: :down:
i dont know what to say or think?!!

:down:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Darin

Sep 8, 2002
its so sad i actually watched that match. the french players are so upset. the france turkey match should've been postponed.

:down::down::down:

OP
Majed

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
  • Thread Starter #6
    i wonder what caused it?!

i dont think it's the heat as many people say. i mean, i'm sure Cameroon is a lot Hotter than France at this time. i dont think it's from playing too many games because he has rested the last game!

really strange!!

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
    :down:

This is awful. I really liked Marc. He was a good footballer. He was one of Manchester City's more important players this season... man this is just terrible.

How could that just happen???

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    I was seeing the game too!!!. it was frightening!!. When the camera showed his white eyes....it was terrble.

Inthe tv,the commentarist said that when the ball touched his head, it damaged a main vein in the brain,,causing what we call here in my country an "aneurisma".

This is when a principla vein in you head explodes because something, and then it causes a state of coma.......and then you die. Its almost,,well its impossible to survive to that.

OP
    Majed

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
  • Thread Starter #11
    ++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++
    I was seeing the game too!!!. it was frightening!!. When the camera showed his white eyes....it was terrble.

Inthe tv,the commentarist said that when the ball touched his head, it damaged a main vein in the brain,,causing what we call here in my country an "aneurisma".

This is when a principla vein in you head explodes because something, and then it causes a state of coma.......and then you die. Its almost,,well its impossible to survive to that.
    you're freaking me out here!! :scared:
    i won't be jumping for headers for a while i guess....

may he rest in peace.

Forza Cameroon. i think the Final should be played in honor of him. Cam and france should play their best. ....i'm sure he'd want his team to win it deservengly.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
    I was watching the match with a friend in his house .. It was dreadful .. Foe was walking towards the centre circle, and unchallenged, he fell unconscious to the ground .. the players and ref ran towards him and when the camerman zoomed towards his face it was a scary scene .. his eyes were wide open -white .. he was then quickly stretchered off .. at that time it was clear that he was still breathing (his lungs were inhaling-exhaling) .. but he was still unconscious .. the medics tried to give him extra oxygen and even tried mouth-to-mouth resuscitation but all were vain attempts to rescue his life .. before he was able to be taken to a hospital he died because his heart ceased from pumping .. I think an autopsy will need to be carried out to determine the real cause of his death ..

During the follwing semifinal match between France-Turkey the death of Foe was confirmed .. the large screen in the stadium showed a picture of Foe and a minute silence preceded the match .. during that minute the French players, especially Foe's ex-Lyon teammates - were very emotional .. Coupet broke into tears whereas Gallas and Henry couldn't hide their emoitions either .. France's coach Jacques Santini bearly held his tears, he used to coach Foe at Lyon .. During the match itself, Henry dedicated his goal - France's first in the match - to Foe by clearly pointing to the sky ..

Cameroon's participation in the final is now in doubt as the team is considering to pull out of the competition after this tragic news ..

R.I.P. Marc :down:

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
    I'm glad I didn't watch it. It must have been terrible to watch. :down:

I hope Cameroon don't pull out of the final. They should play it as a tribute to Marc. Dedicating a possible win to him wouldn't be bad either. I'm certainly cheering for Cameroon now, no doubt about it.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    Sad day, I am glad i didn't watch it. I felt dumbstruck and I first thought it was kind of joke.:down:.
    :sad:.

Anyway I am wondering, how can heading cause such injury?:confused:. And I agree with Erik, is it purely down to one single incident or was it culmulative injury?

OP
    Majed

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
  • Thread Starter #18
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    He collapsed on the field? :down: I wonder if this relates to the busy schedules of modern football...
    where going to be hearing that question debated a lot these upcomming weeks....

if the cause of death was because of this, then i won't be surprised to see the Confed. Cup scrapped.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Jun-hide ] ++
    Anyway I am wondering, how can heading cause such injury?:confused:. And I agree with Erik, is it purely down to one single incident or was it culmulative injury?
    Just found this on CNNSI:

Even though the tournament has been criticized for a quick succession of games at the end of a long season, Foe had played only 154 minutes of a possible 270 during the group stage of the Confederations Cup and sat out Monday's game against the United States.
    But the autopsy will be more revealing I should think. Maybe then finally will something be done about the schedules!

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Jun-hide ] ++
    Anyway I am wondering, how can heading cause such injury?:confused:.
    Heading ?? It wasn't caused by heading .. he collapsed without even touching the ball .. some say that it was a heart attack :undecide:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)