Tragic and Shocking Loss! (1 Viewer)

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
fuck :down: im scared to play football for now...

'It's do or die' Foe said

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win this semi-final," Marc-Vivien Foe told his Cameroon team mates at halftime of Thursday's Confederations Cup match against Colombia. Thirty minutes later the midfielder collapsed without warning in the centre circle. He died soon afterwards.

NEWS: Nothing abnormal in Foe's death!
Henry discusses his favourite Arsenal goal!

Cameroon captain Rigobert Song told reporters on Friday he still could not believe what had happened to his great friend "Marco".

"It's terrible, I have never lived through anything like it. Marco wasn't ill, how could it have happened?" a sobbing Song said.

"We started as kids together, he and I. He's a neighbour from my district of Yaounde and now he's gone.

"We shared so many things when we arrived in Europe together. For me he was like a brother.

"Yesterday at halftime, his last words were 'Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win this semi-final'. And he was the victim. It's terrible."

Song said Cameroon, who won the semi-final 1-0, would try to win Sunday's final against France in Paris, but it would be difficult.

"We will pull ourselves together, we will try to win in memory of Marco," he said. "Seeing the reaction of the French players I think it's better to play because together we will make it a celebration of football.

"The final should be a celebration for Marco, our friend who has left us.

"After that we will take his body back to Cameroon and there the players will bury him."

mate

Aug 28, 2002
It is so sad, shocking :down:

++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
his death might be relayed to a bout of malaria two years ago
I had the same thougt, cause is so wird to die like this 4 a 28 years old athlet, and cause also they didn't find already the reason so it may be something connected with those kind of sickness.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
MALLORCA striker Samuel Eto'o has pledged to play in two finals within 24 hours as a special tribute to tragically-departed Cameroon team-mate Marc-Vivien Foe.

Eto'o, a summer transfer target for Liverpool, among many other top sides, has agreed to take the field for his club's Copa del Rey final against Recreativo de Huelva on Saturday evening, and then travel to Paris for his country's Confederations Cup showdown with France.

The 22-year-old hit-man has also promised to dedicate any goals he scores in the two games to the memory of Foe.

"It's a special tribute that I want to make to my friend Foe," Eto'o declared to planetfootball.com.

"I will dedicate to him the goals that I might score, and the triumphs I might claim."

The former Real Madrid star admitted that the sudden death of Foe had come as a shattering blow, and left him in tears, needing to be comforted by his Mallorca team-mates..

"I was informed about it after after training (with Mallorca) and I did not believe it," he continued.

"I knew he had suffered a bout of sickness, but I thought it was from the heat and not something so serious."

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Oh crap :eek: This is just horrible! As somebody already said, things like this aren't supposed to happen in football :down::scared:

R.I.P Marc :touched:

Juve5150

May 25, 2003
Damnit, that's so sad.:down:

I don't exactly know who Monsieur Vivien Foe was, neither as a player, nor a man, but my deepest sympathy goes to him and his left loved ones. He sounded like a really great guy.

God, sports can be so deadly. I thought things like these can only happen in the F1, boxing, or other high-risky sport arenas.:down:

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
Hopefully we won't see anymore cases like that .. this accident gave me the shivers as I remembered Di Vaio losing consiousness after a head clash with Newcastle's O'Brien .. he was substituted directly and spent the night at hospital but luckily nothing serious happened ...

Foe's incident is more mysterious as we still don't know what actually happened to him .. some reports indicate that he had an upset stomach and that he was ill even before the match .. others indicate that it was due to the heat .. while others mentioned he had a heart attack ..

In the meantime, FIFA have decided to scrap all entertainment preperations for the final and Cameroon will play the final in tribute to Foe with all players wearing his number (17) and name ..

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
06/27/2003. Marc-Vivien Foe's sudden and tragic death last night remains a mystery after an autopsy revealed nothing abnormal, although a stroke has been ruled out.

"First analysis showed nothing abnormal but we rule out any stroke. Toxicological tests, which will take longer, will be carried out," said Xavier Richaud.

It has been revealed that the midfielder was suffering from a stomach upset prior to Cameroon's Confederations Cup semi-final with Colombia, during while Foe collapsed. He died 45 minutes after leaving the pitch.

However, Cameroon's team doctor Olivier Assamba has insisted there was no connection between this bout of illness and the players death, which has shocked the World of football.

He told reporters earlier today: "We definitely think there is no cause and effect link between this problem and what happened to him."

Fifa have revealed a comprehensive run down of the events which followed Foe's collapse in the 72nd minute of the match at Lyon's Stade Gerland, which his team won 1-0. Cameroon have decided to play the final in a tribute to their much-loved team-mate.

The report reveals that Foe was still breathing after collapsing in the centre of the pitch, but his eyes were rolled back, which is a sign of the person slipping into a coma.

Five minutes later the player is taken to the first-aid station in the stadium, where the head French doctor decides to keep him rather than transporting him to hospital, although an ambulance was on standby. It adds that the first-aid station is fully equipped to offer the same services as hospital.

Foe was now given an infusion and oxygen and subsequently his heart stopped beating and reanimation treatment was immediately started. Reanimation continued for approximately 45. He was declared dead at 8:20pm (local time).

Further details on the exact cause of death is expected in the next few days when Toxicological test results are known.

Soccerage

May 17, 2003
wHAT HAPPENED SHOCKED THE WORLD OF FOOTBALL.......I hope things like this just don't happen any more. I had to do two exams yesterday at school, but i could not get the picture of him out of my head..... It's so sad. People say it was a heart attack, maybe. But there is also something very-very possible that no one had thought of. I think this could be caused by a lightning strike. I mean a thunder strike, anyway you all know what i mean. It doesn't have to be visible, or hearable to be deadly. It doesn't have to do anything with the weather. I know it was not raining and it was hot, but these things can happen. If you all wan't to laugh at me, it's fine (so did my sister) but i'm telling you now it is possible. I've seen simillar scenes from back in around 1950-60. It was two south american players just suddenly collapsed, in the way exactly like Foe did. Just walking around and suddenly, collapsed. BUT I COULD STILL BE WRONG. What Hydde said is also interesting, it sounds scary, but realistic. I hope he rests in peace, and camaroon to win the cup for him.

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
Maybe it is fate that his time has come. Sometimes you don't need a reason to die, but you just do. It is sad :frown:

Y'know, people say that when your days are near, you'll "feel" it. I guess that is why he made that comment at half-time.

-S-

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
Hopefully we won't see anymore cases like that .. this accident gave me the shivers as I remembered Di Vaio losing consiousness after a head clash with Newcastle's O'Brien .. he was substituted directly and spent the night at hospital but luckily nothing serious happened ...

Foe's incident is more mysterious as we still don't know what actually happened to him .. some reports indicate that he had an upset stomach and that he was ill even before the match .. others indicate that it was due to the heat .. while others mentioned he had a heart attack ..
i think i know why he passed on

most probably it's because of lack of oxygen in his body..since he was sick earlier, he probably didnt fully recover fully.

my mom (ex-science teacher ;)) told me that maybe the blood vessels got swollen or clogged up and probably stop the oxygen from traveling to the brain etc...

dunno, but that could be the cause :confused:

Mullarkey

Jun 2, 2003
I am just writing this thread today to say how shocked and saddened I am at the sudden death of Marc-Vivien Foe.

I am struggling to come to terms with the fact that such a great young athlete could lose his life in such away.

For anyone who didnt see foe play he was a great player, a powerhouse who had an excellent touch as well as great strength.

He almost signed for Manchester United in 1998 but broke his leg a day before he was meant to sign. A year later he signed for West Ham United along with palo di canio. He did well at west ham and a year or two later he was back in france with Lyon who he helped win the league championship.

Last season he was on loan at Manchester City, he wore the number 23 shirt which due to foes sad loss of life city have retired their number 23 shirt.

I would just like to say i am very sad and upset and i would like to take this oppourtunity to say.

Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003

rest in peace

youll never walk alone

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
Shocked Football World Pays Tribute To Marc-Vivien Foe

06/26/2003. The world of football world has been left stunned by the tragic death of Lyon's Marc-Vivien Foe, who collapsed while playing for Cameroon.

The 28-year-old, who spent last season on loan with Manchester City, was taken ill during the Confederations Cup semi-final against Colombia in Lyon tonight.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter, who heard the news at the same time as the France and Turkey teams and fans at the Stade de France, said: "Fifa and the whole football family are shattered by this unbelievable tragedy. On their behalf, I wish to convey our sincerest condolences to his family and loved ones, to Cameroon football and his club, and express all our support at this painful time. Football has lost a remarkable player and a remarkable man."

Manchester City's chairman John Wardle was among the first of many to pay tribute to the popular and talented star. Wardle expressed his club's sorrow at the sad news.

"Foe was wonderful to have around the club," he told BBC Radio Five Live.

"He was instrumental in our success on our return to the Premiership and he got on well with everyone as a player and a friend.

"He always had a smile on his face and was humble as well.

"Foe also scored the last-ever goal at Maine Road and he will go down in history for that.

The player had previously given service to West Ham United, moving to Upton Park in 1999 in a £4 million deal.

A spokesman for the Hammers, Peter Stewart, told the BBC that Foe always had time for the fans.

He said: "I'm absolutely stunned by this news.

"Although Marc was only with us a short while, he was a very popular figure at Upton Park and a lovely guy.

"He renewed old friendships with us and gave members of staff a big hug when he returned with Man City.

"It's dreadful news and on behalf of everyone at West Ham, we would like to pass on our condolences to his family."

Marc's manager when he was at West Ham was Harry Redknapp, now in charge of Portsmouth. He was clearly emotional when he heard the news.

He said: "You couldn't meet a nicer, more fantastic person than Marc Foe.

"He was a special boy - I just can't believe it."

Redknapp said the player was in peak physical condition and had interested Manchester United before he broke his leg. Redknapp was keen to bring Foe to Portsmouth and had been speaking to the player in recent days about a move. He had actually faxed an offer through to Marc today which was due to be considered tomorrow by Foe and his agent Willie McKay.

McKay had revealed today that they were negotiating an early release from Foe's contract with Lyon in order to stay in the Premiership, where six clubs had expressed interest in securing his services, among them the favourites., Manchester City, and Middlesbrough.

But it is not only club officials who wanted to pay tribute to Marc.

Liverpool's Steven Gerrard e-mailed Sky Sports to say that as a Liverpool player, Marc-Vivien Foe was someone he had always admired as a player and a great sportsman, and that his death was a huge blow for football.

As soon as the news broke, the Manchester City fans' website, Blue Moon, began receiving tributes.

"Just heard the news, what a terrible thing to happen," wrote one.

"I am sure we all will join in passing on our deepest sympathies to his young family at this very sad time, our thoughts are with you all," another fan wrote.

His club Olympique Lyonnais paid tribute on Foe's official website.

Their statement said: "Marc-Vivien Foe will leave us the memory of a charming boy, the incarnation of the joy in life.

"We will keep of him his bursts of laughter, the music which comes out of the changing room, and his kindness away from the ground.

"Marco, we will not forget you."

Graham Lister

bahraini

May 20, 2003
yes
its a very sad day in the history of football
whatever we will say, we will never
can tell how the pain is

u may sleep in peace now
and i shall cheer for ur team tomorrow

mate

Aug 28, 2002
Still we do not have a 100% sure answer :confused:
I am worry they want to hide us something... maybe he was not fit to play or maybe (this is the biggest rumor in Italy) he could be saved but the first aid was not good enought...

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
I dont know,,,i think hat the doctros did all they can,,,yaking in count that he fell suddenly, with no explanation.

Until now they still dont know what happened, and how cab you try to aid someone that you dont know what he have?.

Im thinking that they are hiding soemthing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)