Tour de France (1 Viewer)

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #4
    Hm it's been 6 minutes since I opened a thread about cycling and Paul isn't here yet. Something must be very wrong.. :D

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    I liked the way Armstrong(As if the prologue mattered to him anyway!) was upheld by the Cancellara in the prologue. Will Armstrong do the unthinkable? Will it be Ullrich, Hamilton, Mayo or Baso? This is going to be one helluva tour & am glued to the telly :D

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
    Here is yet another great sporting event that we don't really get to see in the United States. You would think as popular as Armstrong is, you would be able to watch live but you can't.

venom

Oct 22, 2003
    Fassa Bortolo, you've been a disappoitment so far, two sprint finishes and no wins for Petacchi. On a serious note, that mountain-tt will be fatal.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    I was expecting two wins already for Petacchi. Surprises are even better though.

kurvengeflüster

********* a.D.
    Jan 24, 2004
    What do you think about the 3rd stage? Armstrong (with US-Postal) and others speeded up after Mayo fell down. Actually there is a gentlemen's agreement wich forbids to benefit from falls. I ever appreciate such a sportsmanlike gesture. Sadly "Jan's team" was also involved and after Mayo arrived he had a 3min-handicap (iirc) - too many to become a champion in Paris.

Zabel was runner-up at yesterday stage. :thumb:

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    I remember in 2003 when Ullrich fell & Armstrong waited for him, that was cool. However this year Mayo was expected to pose a major threat to Armstrong's 6th bid come the mountain stages so I guess anything goes. I just hope Mayo pulls back ... impossible I know but you never know.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    What I always find so strange is that Armstrong tried to make an advantage of the fall of Mayo, whereas his opponents have a tendency to wait for him in case he's fallen down. Now I know he did wait for Ullrich once, but he has already made such a big deal out of it even that wasn't a good thing. And yes, he did let Pantani win, but that's humiliating for a cyclist like Pantani.

So I would say Armstrong's behaviour and attitude really suck. Why did he, and with him many others, try to set Mayo even further behind?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    This is just disgusting: Armstrong falls and everyone waits for him. How on earth is that possible? If I were Mayo I would instantly order my team to ride.

But I admit: I just don't like Armstrong and I do have to say he has achieved some great things. Though I wished he had a little bit more class.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    Thomas Voeckler is leading at the moment but the tour will be decided in the mountains. The sprinters will fade & it will time for the top five to stand tall & be counted. Armstrong leads Mayo by 5 minutes :(

Nekton

Oct 22, 2001
    Still haven't seen a second of this but I've been told the eurosport coverage is excellent, before it's over I'm sure to check it out :angel:

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    Hm it's been 6 minutes since I opened a thread about cycling and Paul isn't here yet. Something must be very wrong.. :D
    Been busy... plus went to france to ride L'etape du tour at the wekend and as im working on the tour from saturday i didnt really see a point in writing much
    ++ [ originally posted by BigIzz ] ++
    Here is yet another great sporting event that we don't really get to see in the United States. You would think as popular as Armstrong is, you would be able to watch live but you can't.
    The Us is getting very good coverage this year, with every stage live on oln
    ++ [ originally posted by kurvengeflüster ] ++
    What do you think about the 3rd stage? Armstrong (with US-Postal) and others speeded up after Mayo fell down. Actually there is a gentlemen's agreement wich forbids to benefit from falls. I ever appreciate such a sportsmanlike gesture. Sadly "Jan's team" was also involved and after Mayo arrived he had a 3min-handicap (iirc) - too many to become a champion in Paris.

Zabel was runner-up at yesterday stage. :thumb:
    I take it you arent a big cycling fan... The unwritten rule does not count in this situation.
    Looking at what was happening prior to mayo's crash and the terrain it was not possible or even safe to wait.
    Take a look at a few tapes of paris - roubaix o or the tour of flanders to see why.

As for unwritten rules.... many of them went out of the window years ago.
    Since the days the badger ruled the peloton there has been no 'patron'
    After he retired and we went into the indurain era many of the great sporting 'rules' of cycling have been eroded as indurain was too easy going and did not have the ear of the peloton and neither has anyone since.
    Riis was the closest... he commanded the respect and the ear but was not at the top for long enough... but it was seen in 98.
    The only current rider who has this now is Jan but until he beats armstrong he cannot take up the mantle... Armstrong doesnt have this... he is not well liked or respected for anything more than his circumstance or ability... not as a man... let alone a sportsman.

++ [ originally posted by kurvengeflüster ] ++
    When will Ullrich attack Armstrong or isn't there any chance for him? I don't want to see Armstrong win again the tour. :stress:
    Ullrich is sitting well at the moment.
    Nicely 55 secs back... which bearing in mind a prologue which was totally unsuitable for a rider like Jan and three punctures plus kloedens damaged rim in the team time trial is better than expected. Not to mention the fact he was suffering from flu in the opening 4 days
    Hes shown hes strong on numerous occasions so far.. driving the peloton in the wind, through the splits and across the pave.
    The only real worry i have for Jan at the moment is the weather... Jan needs the baking sun... he is notoriously frail in the bad conditions once the roads head upwards (not too mention his poor descending) and here i definately worry.

As for attacking... The Gc race starts tomorrow

Jan will likely play a waiting game for the next few days.. playing by ear as the gc shake up takes shape... carefully watching... if he sees a weakness or oportunity he will go but otherwise he will watch and wait for quite a few more days yet.
    The first real test should be at La Mongie though unless hes fealing really good Jan will probably jus try and stay with armstrong here as its a climb lance loves and the perfect stage for him to test Jan and Tyler
    After his performance in the TDS and a strong looking first 10 days I am confident in Jan at this point.
    Hes allways been the more talented and stronger rider than armstrong.. its jus a matter of whether hes finally got his preperation right.

Forza Jan
    Allez Richard - History in the making

On a personal note ::

Id like to say a big Well Done !! To Brian Holm Who completed l'etape jus a few months after being diagnosed with cancer

And also a big Get Well Soon !! to Tony Doyle who crashed and broke his collar bone, his scapel and 4 ribs on l'etape

And finally a massive Congratulations to Nicole Cooke for an amazing comeback after knee surgery to win the womens Giro D'italia

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #19
    Paul, what do you think about our man Hushovd?

And let me ask you this in regards to the falling. It's a little strange to me cause they are falling quite a bit. Is this an unfortunate consequence of the discipline or is it supposed to be hard to stay on your bike? I can understand it when they bump into each other but when its wet the pavement that prevents the leader from winning, is that the way it's supposed to be? Ie. on purpose?

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    Paul, what do you think about our man Hushovd?
    Hes a quality sprinter... he hasnt the ability or panache that cipo and Ale-Jet carry or the power that Abdujaparov graced us with... but hes a damn fine sprinter none the less especially for the power sprints... a much under rated rider

Though he'll prob pack in the next few days
    And let me ask you this in regards to the falling. It's a little strange to me cause they are falling quite a bit. Is this an unfortunate consequence of the discipline or is it supposed to be hard to stay on your bike? I can understand it when they bump into each other but when its wet the pavement that prevents the leader from winning, is that the way it's supposed to be? Ie. on purpose?
    The crashings not a big deal... theres allways alot of crashes in the opening week of the tour... a bit of nerves, dodgy conditions, a few very questionable finnishes (prime example : the ridiculously narrow roads into angers... or the unprepared and even less suited climbers trying to soft tap the pave) or the masive and ever increasing amounts of road furniture in france these days whenever you get anywhere near a town.
    Plus what can you do if some idiot lets their dog run into the peloton??

Anyway crashes are pretty much over now... sprinters time to rest or grab breaks while the big boys fight for the GC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)