Totti Apologizes and Gazzetta Reveals Secrets (1 Viewer)

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002

The Gazzetta Dello Sport had the inside story surrounding Totti's strange outburst on recent Balon d'or winner, Pavel Nedved.

The reason behind Totti's attack on Nedved and evident rage was that he felt 'betrayed' when he discovered that current Azzurri coach Giovanni Trapatoni and previous coach Dino Zoff both voted for the Czech Republic player instead of him. The biggest surprise to Totti was that even his current Roma coach Fabio Capello has preferred Nedved to him. The Italian press and sympathy towards Nedved also didn't go unnoticed by the Roman captain.

As for the one-to-one confrontation between Gattuso and Totti, it was due to the same reason, as the Milan player confessed that he was the biggest supporter of Nedved in the race of the award.

Totti reacted to all of this by publicly stating that Nedved didn't deserve the award and threw a bomb when he said that he would leave the Azzurri after Euro2004 because Italy didn't recognize him as a great player.

Gazzetta Dello Sport condemned Totti's comments and led an attack on the player, saying that 'What would Maldini say if a baby in your size wants to now carry Italy?' and 'You're not even worthy of an old dirty shoe thrown at your large head!'.

The Corriero dello sport also had some harsh comments for the Roma captain. 'If there was an award for worst personality we would so gladly awarded to you. Italy's history is full of honourable men who fought for the country with their blood, we know you're not one of them. Now we know were did Cassano pick up that annoying attitude'.

As for the players' comments:

Nesta: 'No Comment. Totti is a friend. But until now I don't know how many personalties are there inside Totti. Sometimes he's with things and sometimes against.'

Gattuso" 'I don't know what happened. I was just talking to him and he attacked me. Strange thing!'.

Maldini: 'A player should always be aware of what he is saying to the press. Totti is a great player and might deserve the award. But technically Nedved created alot for Juve and his national team. I can't understand Totti's madness. He needs to work from now for next year's award.'

Trap: 'If I was asked to make a choice for a 100 times, I'll pick Nedved a 100 times. There is nothing personal between me and Totti, but I'll pick Nedved over him and he has to live with it.'

Capello: 'Totti? Nedved? Ofcourse Nedved. Totti was furious with me because I made the right choice.'

Zoff: 'That's why I didn't chose him (Totti). And I'm sure no one from Italy chose him and no one will ever do that as long as this is his attitude and relationship with the other players. He's threatening to leave the Azzurri. Well, I'll personaly ask Trap to drop him permenantly because having doubts when representing your country is a betrayal and sin that should be punished. But, like a small child, he thinks that no one will oppose him.'

Totti felt the immense pressure and acknowledged that he had went too far and personally aplogized for Nedved, saying that he deserves the award and that Nedved is even the best player in the world. Totti also aplogized to the coaches and players who supported Nedved.

But, this is not the first time Totti apolgizes for unsettling comments. Will the Italians forgive him this time, especially that national pride is involved this time?

Buy on AliExpress.com
Sep 28, 2002
whoa. i knew about his attack on nedved but attacking zoff, trap and even capello? weird...

i agree with zoff, maybe totti should be dropped from azzuri. with attitude like this totti doesn't deserve to wear national colours.

as for me, i dont care but italians must be ashamed because of this outburst.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I like Zoff's comments. Totti should be punished. He's such an embarrassment to Italy and Italian football, I would feel ashamed if I was one of his parents.

What Capello said was also honourable. He made the correct choice and as Trap said, Totti has to live with it.

There's no doubt that Totti is a brilliant player, a footballing genius, but I'd never award him anything simply because of his attitude and personality.

:totti:

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
whoa. i knew about his attack on nedved but attacking zoff, trap and even capello? weird...

i agree with zoff, maybe totti should be dropped from azzuri. with attitude like this totti doesn't deserve to wear national colours.

as for me, i dont care but italians must be ashamed because of this outburst.
Absolutely. Totti doesn't deserve to wear national colours or to represent his country. I for one hope that the Italians don't forgive Totts. The Azzurri will miss his abilities, but if he isn't punished he'll continue to do this shit. :totti:

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
zidane is football genius, totti is a very good player ;)
Did you see Totti's chip against Empoli? That was a piece of footballing genius. It's a pity that such a good player has such a bad personality.

Sep 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++

Did you see Totti's chip against Empoli? That was a piece of footballing genius. It's a pity that such a good player has such a bad personality.
he has some class. but he is not one of those players who will be mentioned as all time greats. maybe it's just me though, i hate him since... 99?

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I've hated him for a long time too, but I still believe that Totti will be one of the all time Italian greats. I actually hope that he doesn't.. I'd be quite happy if he suffered a horrible injury, though I don't like to wish bad things on people...

OP
dpforever

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #10
    Well, one needs to go to Totti's background to know more about his personality .. he comes from a middle-class family and he quite school at an early stage and used to live a very simple life .. he keeps reminding us of the conspiracy theories against Rome and the Southern Italian clubs in Italy compared to the Northeren clubs .. he says that if he was from Milan then all of Italy will recognize him as a great but he's only from Rome !!

In Euro2000 Totti was hailed as a hero and all of Italy praised him for his displays. In the latest WC, Totti was red-carded for simulation inside the penalty box against S. Korea but the press came to his defence and blamed the referee instead. Totti is also respected even from his sworn enemies as Mancini (Lazio coach) hailed him before the Rome derby.

Totti needs to understand that no one is against him as long as he let his football do the talking. He should be a role model for younger players instead and such attittude will lead him to nowhere.

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
    Nov 16, 2003
    we could ask incubo to blow up roma's training ground ;)
    everyone would be better off if we all stopped taking Totti so seriously. What he has in talent he lacks in intelligence...any form of it whatsoever. Most in Italy just ignore what he says because he literally is a male version of the 'dumb blonde'. A famous incident with Totti (one of many) which was talked about for weeks and highlights his lack of basic knowledge took place after Roma's scudetto win in the locker room.

Interviewer: Totti. So Roma wins the Scudetto. Your team...your city..your people. I guess today is special and 'carpe diem' comes to mind.

Totti: (Puzzled Look): I'm sorry. I don't know what 'carpe diem' means since I don't speak English.

As for Roma's training camp: the ego's of Totti and Cassano will bring down that house of ego's soon enough.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    If theyre gonna drop him, it should be after euro 2004. It might kinda hurt to say this, but he's good and he can help Italy win the title.

Sep 28, 2002
    if look from that point of view fab, he should never be dropped. and dropping him after euro04 would not make any sense. this ban is supposed to make totti more mature or make him think what he says and realise that won't be a golden boy forever.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    It was very clear that his comments were out of place.

Is good to see that the big names in Italy replied his harsh words with wise comments.

Totti will have to think twice before speaking from now on.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by fabiana ] ++
    If theyre gonna drop him, it should be after euro 2004. It might kinda hurt to say this, but he's good and he can help Italy win the title.
    Yeah, Totti's good and Italy needs him, but what sense is it in banning him if he won't really care? If all he's going to miss is friendlies and qualifiers then he'll be happy.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    Maybe first saying in public that what he did is wrong and saying that if his attitude continues he'll be banned for euro 2004 and stuff...

Juventino

Jul 27, 2002
    LOOOOL!!!!
    O man talk about putting a SMILE on my face!!!

hahahah.... and for a month ago this swedish "reporter"
    living in ROME wrote an article attacking Del Piero as a person that
    he thinks higher of him self than anyone else and that he always
    expects to be called for GLI azzurri as starter and :bla: bla: bla:

man her article was so LAME.... especially when U know she is a
    ROMANISTA and always writes great stuff about Totti!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)