Top 5 Defenders (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
You can talk about who you think are the best defenders in the world at the moment right here. Here's my list.

1. Lilian Thuram
2. Roberto Carlos
3. Alessandro Nesta
4. Roberto Ayala
5. Paolo Maldini

Our French international right back tops my list of best defenders following a superb start to the 2002-2003 campagne. The former Parma star has been solid in all departments,keeping things tight at the back and adding pressure to opponents on the counter attack. His game winning goal against Milan caps off a great year for him.

Brazil and Real Madrid star Roberto Carlos finds him self in 2nd spot. His hard working attitude along with his sublime pace,superb skill,amazing atheticism and his thunderous free kicks make him a formidable player,worthy of a starting place on any team in the world.

Milan new boy Alessandro Nesta finished 3rd despite a somewhat shaky start to the season. The Italy international took a while to settle at his new home but since then has been almost as imprenetrable as the Nesta of old.

Valencia's Argentine star is still the strong hard working defender that he was a year ago,and has provided the Spanish champions with a real leader in the middle of their back 4. Roberto's distribution skills and aerial abilities make him a useful and versatile player.

Italy and Milan legend Paolo Maldini finds his way into my top 5 due to his consistent performances with his club. The 36 year old (forgive me if I'm wrong) has been as solid as he was in his younger days,and has a few goals to his name as well this year. I salute you Paolo.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #3
    One error? You can't judge a player's class by one error.

juvelover

Jul 13, 2002
    not only this error i gave an example

emember henry in 2000 champions league both games ,, ajax game this season , slow , not good in the air !!!

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
    • Central Defenders :
      1. Ivan Cordoba (Colombia/Inter)
      2. Lucio (Brazil/Leverkusen)
      3. Walter Samuel (Argentina/Roma)
      4. Nourredine Naybet (Morocco/Deportivo)
      5. Rafael Marquez (Mexico/Monaco)

Left/Right Defenders :
      1. Roberto Carlos (Brazil/Real)
      2. Lillian Thuram (France/Juventus)
      3. Christian Panucci (Italy/Roma)
      4. Hatem Trabelsi (Tunis/Ajax)
      5. Paolo Maldini (Italy/Milan)

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by juvelover ] ++
    i don't know maybe u r right ,,, but in my opinion he is like juliano to me no deference ,,, maybe my opinion is rong
    nothing wrong with Iuliano :D

Central (Imagining everyone is on top fitness and form.in no order)

Cannavaro
    Nesta
    Samuel
    Ayala
    Montero

Left/Right (same)

Carlos
    Zanetti
    Thuram
    Puyol
    Cafu

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
    1.) Nesta
    2.) Stam
    3.) Cannavaro
    4.) Lucio
    5.) Campbell

and

1.) Roberto Carlos
    2.) Thuram
    3.) Cafu
    4.) Lizerazu
    5.) Contra

But, I also have a list of rising stars

1.) Marquez
    2.) Chivu
    3.) Mexes
    4.) Bonera
    5.) Milito

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by A_LAcki ] ++
    1.) Nesta
    2.) Stam
    3.) Cannavaro
    4.) Lucio
    5.) Campbell

and

1.) Roberto Carlos
    2.) Thuram
    3.) Cafu
    4.) Lizerazu
    5.) Contra

But, I also have a list of rising stars

1.) Marquez
    2.) Chivu
    3.) Mexes
    4.) Bonera
    5.) Milito
    Wow, gr8 list! Love that! :thumb:

Ahmed_

Bench Warmer
    Dec 23, 2002
    Cannavaro ..... Nesta ...... Maldini ......... Samual ........ and Stam

These are the best central defenders in the world these days.....

Thuram .... Chivu .... Puyol .... Coco .... Zanetti

these are the best right or left defenders

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #14
    Best Centre Backs :
    1. Nesta
    2. Ayala
    3. Marquez
    4. Cannavaro
    5. Samuel

Best Wingbacks :
    1. Thuram
    2. Roberto Carlos
    3. Puyol
    4. Trabelsi
    5. Maldini

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    Ayala is an overrated players, just ask Milan fans about him. Also, his disciplinary record is on par with Montero.:D
    Unless Ayala convince me he can handle the pressure of San Siro, Delli Alpi, Bernaubeu, Old Trafford, he won't be in top 5 of my list.

My top five defenders,
    1. Nesta
    2. Cannavaro
    3. Samuel
    4. Maldini
    5. Carlos.

The Nesta is an obvious choice even though I think his mentality is somewhat suspect. Fully fit and concentrated Nesta is probably the nearest thing to Baresi in today's football. Wonderful organizer at the back, great technical ability and one of best man to man marker. Also lightning quick for central defender, he got it all.
    Canna, has to come second even though he is the most natural defender in the world. I have never seen a who likes defending more than Canna. I would dare to say that he takes into art form. Great anticipitation, man marking ability couple with amazing athleticism with great enthusiams, I just love the guy.
    Samuel, is the only Roma player beside Emerson that I can stand. He is a rock in the defence. Great power, positioning, and one of the best in the world in air. A text book central defender. Also capable of distributing the ball from the defence, a necessity for a sweeper. The biggest draw back is that he lacks pace.
    Maldini, represents everything good about football. A true champion, professional and a charismatic leader. He also has abundance of versatility that not is not always present amongst truly world class players. One the best in the both left back and central defence. Not many people in the world, exception of Lillian Thuram can say about that. Maybe age is catching little, as he may lack a yard or two or can't jump as high as he used to, but nonetheless Paolo is in great shape for his age.
    Carlos is probably a better defender than Maldini at the left back, but the former's versatillity makes Carlos 5 best defender in my list. Amazing athelticism makes him a outstanding one to one defender on the flank. Totally destroyed Beckam 3year ago in the champions league even though latter got the goal in the second leg. :D. His technique is a joy to watch, which is filled with Brazilian flair. Only weakness I can say about his game, is that he lacks height and uncomfortable in the air, which makes him vulnerable to the cross field ball or crossing. Also, he doesn't mix the attacking game with defensive game. In other words. he has a tendency to go too far. Nonetheless, one of the best in the world.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    All of you people selecting Nesta must base their opinion on what he did in the past because he doesn't deserve to be in such a list at the moment at all!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)