Tiago Mendes (3 Viewers)

Inara

Dec 14, 2006
As a Lyon fan, I'm happy to see that people are excited by Tiago's arrival at Juventus. He's been fantastic for us and I'm truly sorry to see him go, but with a player of that caliber, you can't ask him to stay in Ligue 1 forever.

He's a technically gifted player, but you all know that. Juventus are also getting a really great person, who is class both on and off the field. He's the definition of a team player and well loved by his teammates and the fans. He's also honorable in a way many footballers aren't nowadays. Unlike the way Essien, Diarra, and now Abidal are trying to leave Lyon, Tiago did it respectfully and discreetly, not injuring the club's pride.

He signed for Juventus because he admires the club (Milan offered him a better financial deal and Barcelona wanted to negotiate as well), and he's willing to work for glory as opposed to being a spectator, which is why he doesn't mind not playing in the CL next year.

I hope he brings you guys as much joy and quality as he brought to us.

Three non-publicized Tiago moments I will always remember:

Last year during the second leg match against PSV, Tiago dedicated his first ever CL goal to Fred and his baby daughter, who had just been born two hours before that.

Last October, during a match against PSG, Lyon were trailing behind by one goal, and with Juninho missing, no one worked harder in that match than Tiago in trying to bring Lyon back into the game. He finally scored a beautiful assist to Sylvain Wiltord, who scored. Tiago was so thrilled he just slid onto the grass in joy ([video=dailymotion;xkq38]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkq38_lyonpsg-8e-cdl[/video], in the 7:58 minute).

During the Lens-Lyon match last December (Lens being Lyon's closest rivals at that point), Lyon were leading by three goals. There was a clear chance for Tiago to score, but Juninho was also there, and so Tiago moved aside and allowed his captain the honor of scoring on that night.

P_neddy

Dec 10, 2005
As a Lyon fan, I'm happy to see that people are excited by Tiago's arrival at Juventus. He's been fantastic for us and I'm truly sorry to see him go, but with a player of that caliber, you can't ask him to stay in Ligue 1 forever.

He's a technically gifted player, but you all know that. Juventus are also getting a really great person, who is class both on and off the field. He's the definition of a team player and well loved by his teammates and the fans. He's also honorable in a way many footballers aren't nowadays. Unlike the way Essien, Diarra, and now Abidal are trying to leave Lyon, Tiago did it respectfully and discreetly, not injuring the club's pride.

He signed for Juventus because he admires the club (Milan offered him a better financial deal and Barcelona wanted to negotiate as well), and he's willing to work for glory as opposed to being a spectator, which is why he doesn't mind not playing in the CL next year.

Last year during the second leg match against PSV, Tiago dedicated his first ever CL goal to Fred and his baby daughter, who had just been born two hours before that.

Last October, during a match against PSG, Lyon were trailing behind by one goal, and with Juninho missing, no one worked harder in that match than Tiago in trying to bring Lyon back into the game. He finally scored a beautiful assist to Sylvain Wiltord, who scored. Tiago was so thrilled he just slid onto the grass in joy (here, in the 7:58 minute).

During the Lens-Lyon match last December (Lens being Lyon's closest rivals at that point), Lyon were leading by three goals. There was a clear chance for Tiago to score, but Juninho was also there, and so Tiago moved aside and allowed his captain the honor of scoring on that night.
Thank you, now Tiago must be a great purchase.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005

Last October, during a match against PSG, Lyon were trailing behind by one goal, and with Juninho missing, no one worked harder in that match than Tiago in trying to bring Lyon back into the game. He finally scored a beautiful assist to Sylvain Wiltord, who scored. Tiago was so thrilled he just slid onto the grass in joy (here, in the 7:58 minute).

Thank you for this wonderful post and for being such a great sport. You should hang out here more :)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

Awesome post. I had a feeling Tiago was the sort of professional that plays for the team and not just himself. I've always admired him and wanted him at Juventus, so it's almost a dream to have him here. Forza Tiago. :star:

If a Lyon fan gives such praise to a player who just left their side, it really puts other opinions on this board into perspective.

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
WHAT A SIGNING!!!!!

im on holiday and techincally i shouldnt be associated with the football world for a week but i´m addicted!!! this is fantastic news!!! forza tiago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FORZA JUVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Durden

May 11, 2006
This new Juve with Tiago and Almiron is gonna be great I think. Now we just have to extend with Trez and get a wc defender. Hmm I might end up kissing Seccos ass in the end...

LEC

Sep 6, 2002
This new Juve with Tiago and Almiron is gonna be great I think. Now we just have to extend with Trez and get a wc defender. Hmm I might end up kissing Seccos ass in the end...
we extend with trez, with camo, we get milito/barzagli...mighty ass kissin ;-)

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
Just to diss the management and their targets.
People were calling Tiago an "average player" and said he would "get owned in Italy." Now everybody seems to be happy.
I just realised they probably don't know him.

You know, I admit I haven't seen that much from Almiron, but at least I'm wise enough to be truthful about it. Talking shit about players without having seen them is just childish.
To be honest, I didn't comment anything about these two transfers because I don't know anything about them, I didn't watch them. But Tiago is well recognized
by the football world, and from what I read about him by experts (magazines or websites) he is more than average player, it's no suprise chelsea signed him before, his reason for not succeeding is probably because of the huge number of "stars" there. I am confident about this transfer, as for Almiron we have to wait and see.

As for Iaquinta, I am not sure if it was a good deal, the bid was high, and he isn't any young, and that area wasn't really necessary for investing.

Salihamidzic and Grygera are great transfer I have to admit, whoever was responsible. to good players for free. :tup:

The other two young players who were brought (no sure of their names) was it Criscito and Nocerino? I think we wasted a lot of money there, still, time will tell.

Letting Balzaretti go was a crime!!

so Far, it is not bad. But the worst thing was Didier, I am still mad of the way he is treated!

So far they are doing ok in the market. But as a board, they have to stick with the stuff they bring in, I don't like it when Stuff members keeps quiting, from coaches to directors. we need consistency..

btw, we have a lot of "experts" out there who talk non sense about everyone, and even young players who play for primavera or at lower divisions, "this player sux not a Juve material" "that player is the next Del Piero we shouldn't waste him blah blah. like they watch them on tv, we hardly get Juventus on Tv, I wonder when they watched them and where :disagree: They are better than the scouts out there in Italy :faq1:

Well the same people that said Tiago is average also stated the likes of Juninho is only good for his freekicks or Almiron isn't "Juve material," so go figure.
was it the Anal Cannon? :D

If it is indeed that way and all of it true, then it is good to hear, that's quality personality!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)