Thuram in new position : center back (1 Viewer)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Look, if I remember correctly, and I'm sure I do, Zambrotta was converted to a defender as well. In a team that is going to have possession of the ball half of the time wing backs are likely to be the most dangerous players. Which French player would be a better wingback than Rothen?

It's great you know Rothen isn't a defender, gray, really you've impressed me and everyone else on the globe. Very very nice.

Furthermore Rothen obviously can and should fill the role of fullback. All Rothen has got is a left foot, he isn't such a creative midfielder or anything, but he's great if he can run next to the sideline. It's a pity you don't understand, gray, but I'm sure you'll have your reasons. Players aren't born defenders or attackers you know, they have the possibility to change.

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by AndriesGobert ] ++
It's great you know Rothen isn't a defender, gray, really you've impressed me and everyone else on the globe. Very very nice.

It's a pity you don't understand, gray, but I'm sure you'll have your reasons.
Again, please stop patronising me and making excuses for it. I wasn't trying to impress you or anyone else on the globe.

You said it yourself that there's a possibility to change, but do you really think Santini would have risked trying out Rothen at LB when he hasn't been tried or trusted in that position?

Zambrotta is different. He's got pace and skill, whereas as you said, Rothen is just a left foot. I don't think he's the most suitable player for the wingback role, because he lacks the pace required to put in the hard yards in the same way that Zambrotta does. The reason Rothen worked so well in Monaco was because he had Evra fulfilling the Zambrotta role, and they helped eachother out along that left flank and usually left Rothen with nothing else to do put swing in one of his crosses. Give him the job of getting back in defence and getting the ball in a good position to cross the ball and you'll probably find that his effectiveness has been halved, if not worse

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
He is..
He is, but in the French squad he could have neglected his defensive duties. He'll never be a true defender, but he could have played that position in the French squad. I think that had he played there, France wouldn't have been eliminated by Greece.

Actually I'm just talking about the offensive threat that comes from a fullback, not about his defensive capacities.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
No, Evra should have played left back, that's what he does best. Rothen should have played on the wing instead of Pires who was crap. Of course, the whole team played so bad that it probably wouldn't have made a difference.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
No, Evra should have played left back, that's what he does best. Rothen should have played on the wing instead of Pires who was crap. Of course, the whole team played so bad that it probably wouldn't have made a difference.
Evra is a better left back, no doubt, but when you only look at their offensive capacities Rothen is the better player. Since the left midfield spot was taken by Pires and Pires wouldn't have gone out, Rothen should have played left back. As I said, Rothen wouldn't have had many defensive duties.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Did he disagree on many things with you as well? :D
Not as such, I was talking more about your tone and manner
Actually I'm just talking about the offensive threat that comes from a fullback, not about his defensive capacities.
Well then, does that not validate my original post questioning Rothen's ability as a defender? Of course you can say that he could have been an attacking threat from that position despite his obvious defensive shortcomings, but to say that he should have played in that position isn't entirely valid

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Perhaps not entirely, but in theory that should have been his positon. In reality he would of course neglect his defensive duties and concentrate on the attack.
I definitely agree that he has serious defensive shortcomings.
He could only have been an attacking threat from that position, because Pires had already taken the left midfield role. And it's extremely questionable whether Rothen could compete with Pires. So why not play them both?

Jul 12, 2002
Evra should have played left back, except for the fact that Lizarazu was the only Frenchman who played well the whole tournament.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
I agree with Ian.

I dont think he had that bad tournament considering how bad his team-mates played, but I still reckon he didnt do enough on the attacking aspects. Evra, Silvestre, IMO would have given team much more option on the left.
Anyway, biggest mitake by Santini was playing Gallas, IMO their best defender on the right. Personally I would have partnered Gallas and Thuram in the middle, and let Silvestre play on the left: I know it has been a while since Silvestre played in that position, but he was electrifying at times in his early days at Man U. Decent dribbler with great pace, which is absent from Lizarazu's game IMO.
And I agree with Martin, Pires played poorly and Rothen should have played instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)