Three Italian teams in the Semi-finals! (1 Viewer)

Sivori

Jul 17, 2002
Assuming AC Milan perform their duty against Ajax* we'll have three Italian teams in the Semi-finals of the Champions League, and at least one Italian team in the finals. Is Italian football finally back where it belongs? Where we never gone? Or is it just a fluke?

Some people might point at a new, more attacking attitude that Italian teams have now compared to two years ago. Can that really be true when Juve fought their way through to the semis by defending greatly, while Milan have shown that they're quite capable of playing a negative football and Cuper is unable to play anything else than negative football?

Feel free to showcase your opinions and theorys on why we're suddenly back in such force.

*(some people might bring up what we did at Camp Nou, but to me that doesn't apply as we are on the same level as Barca whereas Ajax are inferior to Milan)

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Sivori

Sivori

Jul 17, 2002
  • Thread Starter #3
    Ian, sometimes your love of anything dutch can take ridículous forms. Ajax have, except for some individual brilliance, been unable to play exciting football lately.

I was talking to a friend today who said he hoped Milan would win just so he wouldn't have to watch anymore Ajax in the Champions League.

Ajax couldn't get past Milan's defences in the home game, and they for sure won't be able to at the San Siro. Milan will, if they don't screw up big-time, win comfortably over Ajax and that'll be the end of it. Too bad they won't be playing in the CL next season as all those youngsters could possibly have developed into a good team in Europe.

Don't get me wrong I'm actually quite fond of Ajax, but right now I simply can't agree with the way they're playing and I don't see how they can be succesfull against AC Milan.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    well,, i continue saying that the spanish style is very beatifull, but, the italians are going through so, something must be happening.

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    go ajax go! go ajax go!

its a damn same valencia are out, a damn shame! they gave inter a footballing lesson ( then again who doesn't? :rolleyes: ) and still were out :down:

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
    go ajax go! go ajax go!

its a damn same valencia are out, a damn shame! they gave inter a footballing lesson ( then again who doesn't? :rolleyes: ) and still were out :down:
    Right Tom, and my heart is still :broken::down:

bubba

Apr 6, 2003
    go ajax go! go ajax go!

inter played their strategy well, but also relied on their GK...but they showed good defending...

hoshi

Sep 2, 2002
    valencia played the better match for sure. inter are just so.... boring :down:
    still, i do like seeing two italian teams in the semis

(oh completely off the subject, i met my boyfriend's cousin from italy on the weekend, who is a rabid juventino. we are automatically best of friends, although he did tell me off for having a fake juve shirt. anyways, i just wanted to mention it.)

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by bubba ] ++
    inter played their strategy well, but also relied on their GK...but they showed good defending...
    good defending? teir defending was abysmal IMO! total opposite from us. Valencia hammered them, 75% possession, 27 shots to 3 it was only Toldo and a blind ref (100% clear penalty turned down) that saw Inter through

on a side note some of Toldo's keeping was superb, especially his save from a Baraja volley in the second half at about 50 minutes!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by hoshi ] ++
    (oh completely off the subject, i met my boyfriend's cousin from italy on the weekend, who is a rabid juventino. we are automatically best of friends, although he did tell me off for having a fake juve shirt. anyways, i just wanted to mention it.)
    Whoooaaaat? Fake shirts rule!!! :cool: I got about 10 of them now... :D If I only bought originals I'd still be saving up to get a second.. :D

bubba

Apr 6, 2003

good defending? teir defending was abysmal IMO! total opposite from us. Valencia hammered them, 75% possession, 27 shots to 3 it was only Toldo and a blind ref (100% clear penalty turned down) that saw Inter through
    Inter frustrated Valencia in the match..it's how the played..they were a bit lucky with Toldo being on form and not getting sent off..but valencia have only themselves to blame!

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    I think it is a little bit early to celebrate the resurgence of Italian football in Europe. Look at how Juve performed to reach the semi's. At times we were utterly sh*t! Ditto Inter. Milan meanwhile started as red hot favs only for the neurotic lotti to resort to the world famous negative tactics of the Italians. This year was about a combination of luck and good tactics for we have certainlt thrown away the formula to regain the beautiful game.

++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    Whoooaaaat? Fake shirts rule!!! :cool: I got about 10 of them now... :D If I only bought originals I'd still be saving up to get a second.. :D
    I got me fake Tele+ shirt on today :cool:

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    yeah, inter didn't defend well....they just packed 11 players in the box who acted like human shields!

27-3 shots!!! :eek:

it really is a damn shame that Valencia are out like this.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    oh well....be happy....juve is through!!!
    surely Today, Milan would make it through too :extatic:
    :thumb:
    seeing Aimar's disappointment is sad :down:, but seeing Maldini happy will cover for that.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    Sorry Ally - I saw Aimar's goal and it was sublime! It would have been great for Milan to face Valencia.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Yeah Inter's defending was poor. If you want to see good defending, watch the juve-barca game again ;) Even in 10 men juve didn't let Barca shoot too many times on goal (most of which were from outside the box).

Inter in 11 men did a mess, and were lucky not to concede goals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)