This is for Bes and Greg because he feels left out :P (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Meh, I have my doubts. What he's accusing the press off, pouring fuel on the fire, sounds like the classic political propaganda tbh. "We are always treated unfairly, you always see the worst in us." I wouldn't know, but frankly I'm skeptical as to this specific motive in the British press. Where exactly would this motive come from?

Anyway. I've read one or two of Rushdie's books, not the Satanical Verses. I know he's received awards but I didn't find anything particularly interesting in his writing. I think he's mediocre. I've heard him talk about this incident saying that the part that people came after him for was a small part of the book and in no way central to the story. Be that as it may.

But here's what does disturb me about what this guy said. We had that poll about mocking religion, which plays nicely into this. He said that if a member of Parliament stood up and called Thatcher a whore the others would demand he apologized and kick him out if he didn't. This scenario he's equating to writing insulting things in a literary work. I mean come on, there is no comparison between the two. It's one thing to insult a public person in a public place. It's something radically different to insult the same person in a literary work of fiction. Noone would lash out at an author who did that. They could say his book was trash, but they wouldn't have a public process to shame him into an apology.

Art is art, man. It's supposed to be free. You can use it to troll people, but that's what expression is about. If it offends you noone is forcing you to read it, are they? It's your own personal choice.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
I, for one, don't believe in miracles in the way most Muslims and Christians think of them as. I don't believe mircales are supernatural phenomenons; in other words any 'miracle' can't break the laws of nature that God has established.

For ex: I don't believe that Moses split the Red Sea. Not only did he have nothing to do with it, because he is a human being but the sea itself cannot possible split in half; it's against the laws of nature.

However, I do believe that there was a low tide at the time of the crossing and by the time the Pharaoh's army reached the high tide came in. That's a miracle to me.
Everything in our natural world has to have a cause, a start if you will, for it to obey physics laws, right? So a flood cant start without some cause, rivers cant turn red without a cause and etc. According to you, miracles arent supernatural, so it means that they arent caused by god. Because if god decided to cause a flood just out of the blue he would need to change physics laws, because nothing starts randomly it needs someone to push, and if it is god who is pushing the we cant call it natural and we have to call it supernatural then.

So where does this leave us? That all of the miracles are natural and have no input from god whatsoever.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
However, I do believe that there was a low tide at the time of the crossing and by the time the Pharaoh's army reached the high tide came in. That's a miracle to me.
But that's like going to the bus stop and the bus just happens to come by. It would have come whether or not you knew the schedule. So just because these guys didn't know when the tides were just means they were lucky. And luck is a perfectly normal part of life.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
But that's like going to the bus stop and the bus just happens to come by. It would have come whether or not you knew the schedule. So just because these guys didn't know when the tides were just means they were lucky. And luck is a perfectly normal part of life.
Yes i wanted to add this too.

I would like to as this question - If a women gives birth to a perfectly healthy baby, while all the odds were against here, lets for the sake of argument say that doctors and avyrbody said that its like one in a trillion that a baby will live.

So after the baby is born, to whom we give credit? To god, that with these odds he lives, and he is healthy? or to chance, that he was extremely lucky?

If mom was a religious person, i can guarantee you that she would say it is a miracle, while i think, the boy is extremely lucky.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006

I would like to as this question - If a women gives birth to a perfectly healthy baby, while all the odds were against here, lets for the sake of argument say that doctors and avyrbody said that its like one in a trillion that a baby will live.

So after the baby is born, to whom we give credit? To god, that with these odds he lives, and he is healthy? or to chance, that he was extremely lucky?

If mom was a religious person, i can guarantee you that she would say it is a miracle, while i think, the boy is extremely lucky.
The odds of freak occurences in complex chance eqations are actually quite high considering :tup:

Giving credit to god would for anything depends on the person, I personally believe that all religion that believes in a God is horseshit, but thats just me :snoop:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

There is a deeper issue here. Does luck even exist? Think about it, if you believe that god's will prevails and that everything happens for a reason, that means there is no luck. There is no uncertainty. Everything happened because it had no other choice but to happen.

It also undermines what we like to call probability. Probability is the observation that something tends to happen in a certain ratio of all possible cases (coin flips). But if the will of god happens then the probability is always 100-0, we just don't know what it is.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
The same question i have been asking myself. There is no such thing as saying "I don't know if a god exists" and being a muslim in the same time.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
There is a deeper issue here. Does luck even exist? Think about it, if you believe that god's will prevails and that everything happens for a reason, that means there is no luck. There is no uncertainty. Everything happened because it had no other choice but to happen.

It also undermines what we like to call probability. Probability is the observation that something tends to happen in a certain ratio of all possible cases (coin flips). But if the will of god happens then the probability is always 100-0, we just don't know what it is.
To tell you the truth I dont believe in luck, i think its just probability. Of course you can call winning a lottery which is 1000000-1 chance luck. Even if you win it at your first try its still not luck, just chance, because if you do statistical research and you will see that when you repeat the experiment your luck tends not to repeat, while chance does, you will probably win in your second million try.

So what im trying to say, that if you isolate only one event where you have been lucky and retake it a lot of times you will see that your win will average the probability of the event.

Well if there is god, and everything is already witten in his book, than yeah, there is no luck, no chance no anything, just a puppet master playing with his puppets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)