This is for Bes and Greg because he feels left out :P (2 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Any chance we can avoid new threads dedicated to individual members? (Other than the obvious dedication thread.)

IMHO, I think this is a terrible precedent. :frown:

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
the most memorable debates and arguing i have ever had was with a muslim, so you can all suck it.

and yes alen, my opinion has changed quite a bit
Explain.

I also had great arguments with muslims, but at the end of the day i still thought that there were no angels and miracles, while they still thought there were.

OP
Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #26
    Bes, what did you think of the audio clip? I know you asked me this before and I told you my answer but I think this was a more thorough answer.

Explain.

I also had great arguments with muslims, but at the end of the day i still thought that there were no angels and miracles, while they still thought there were.
    Depends on what sect the Muslim belonged to.

I, for one, don't believe in miracles in the way most Muslims and Christians think of them as. I don't believe mircales are supernatural phenomenons; in other words any 'miracle' can't break the laws of nature that God has established.

For ex: I don't believe that Moses split the Red Sea. Not only did he have nothing to do with it, because he is a human being but the sea itself cannot possible split in half; it's against the laws of nature.

However, I do believe that there was a low tide at the time of the crossing and by the time the Pharaoh's army reached the high tide came in. That's a miracle to me.

Jan 7, 2004
    Explain.

my experience was similar to yours. i had tremendous respect for the guy until he mentioned that some rock, possibly a meteor, was sacred. what i am trying to say is that i have learned that

1 - religion has a few good things and,
    2 - just like with every other group give them the benefit of the doubt

Bes, what did you think of the audio clip? I know you asked me this before and I told you my answer but I think this was a more thorough answer.
    no, what's it about? the guy's voice was very annoying :shifty:

OP
    Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #29
    my experience was similar to yours. i had tremendous respect for the guy until he mentioned that some rock, possibly a meteor, was sacred. what i am trying to say is that i have learned that

1 - religion has a few good things and,
    2 - just like with every other group give them the benefit of the doubt
    Here's another difference. I don't know what his explanation for it being "sacred" or what it was or where it came from.

It is a meteor, to say that it fell from heaven is ridiculous not just because no one knows but also because for it have "fallen" from heaven, heaven would have to be in outer space and that would mean it's a physical location.

The importance of the meteor (and the reason why it's 'sacred') is that before Islam was started by Prophet Muhammad the building known as the Kaaba was being rebuilt and the Meccans wanted to place this rock in this building but a dispute broke out between the various clan leaders about who should place it in there.

Prophet Muhammad being known as a very calm, kind, and wise person was asked the question and he suggested that a bed sheet of sorts be layed out and the rock be placed on it and that the various clan leaders grab one end of the sheet.

Of course, later on the Kaaba became the 'home' of Islam and that meteor remained there and has been ever since.

How many of you would keep a DP jersey he wore in the CL final '96 and hold it dear to your heart? :)

no, what's it about? the guy's voice was very annoying :shifty:
    The fatwa on Sulman Rushdie.

Jan 7, 2004
    yeah i realized it was about the fatwa. what was the muslim's point of view?

again, what's the perspective? that how important religion is for you, a jersey can be for someone else?

OP
    Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #33
    yeah i realized it was about the fatwa. what was the muslim's point of view?
    It's all in the audio man, just listen to it.

again, what's the perspective? that how important religion is for you, a jersey can be for someone else?
    Maybe it was the wrong analogy, I don't know. I just gave that analogy thinking that since the people I'm addressing this to aren't Muslim and hence perhaps can't relate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)