The Zizou homage thread. (3 Viewers)

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Nothing but utmost respect. Like all of us you displayed all your colours, some not good yet most were pleasing. As for football you took it to another level. Your artistry will be missed. You won everything there was to offer. Thank you for the magical moments.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Juve89 said:
I have zero respect for Zidane now. Its a pity...
Then you have no business coming inot this thread, its meant to pay homage to a great man not to diss him. He is still one of the best ever and no matter what anyone says he had a very good world cup and gave the best individual performances of the tournament by a creative player against the world champs both Italy and Brazil. All good and great things have to come to an end and I am priviledged to have seen this master at work

Dec 26, 2004
It is not a hidden fact that I'm a big Azzurri fan... I remmber my pain and sadness each time Italy goes out during the past four touranments, I've always dreamed of Italy being crowned as world champions... but Zidane accident has killed a huge amount of my joy.

When Cannavaro tackles Zidane near the end of 2nd half and he asked for substitution I had a very bad feeling... I really wished him to complete the game so when he gets back to the field I applaud... not only me but all my friends who support Italy were applauding as no one wants Zidane to leave the field inured in the last game of his wonderful career.

Then come the Materazzi incident... I won't defend Zidane's reaction but I know one thing... he should never swallow an insult coming from Materazzi even if the expense was the World Cup trophy.

I couldn't resist my tears when he left the stadium walking near the crowning stand with a bending head.

Respect ZiZou... Football lost a huge amount of charm in yar retirment day... and of course... I don't wanna hear the word "Fair Play" again... ever.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
It is a sad day for football as another football legend departs from the scene of football, Zinedine Zidane has departed from the football scene. He has gave a lot to football entertainment and his own naitonal team, France. Those silky moves and passes are definitely kids and football players yearn to learn, but failed.

As for his world cup performance, he has a fruitful and excellent performance. He led the teamto fight Spain and Brazil against all odds, with his skill, technique and leadership. And what makes me pleased is that he actually plans the tactics! Such a footballer is rare to be seen and it shows how much desire and passion he still has for his national team. It is really a shame to see how Zidane tragically ended his career by responding to a Materazzi insult. And he didn't even show up in the medal presentation ceremony, what a shame.

At least you won many honours, good for you.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
Well he has affirmed his LEGENDARY status in World Football, I mean although shamefull, but who would ever forget the Zidane headbutt of 2006? It will be a story for many years to come, even when the azzurri win it again in 2030 (looking at the 24year cycle).

Zidane will be remembered for his game, and his incidents, but he WILL definately ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED!

And Materazzi? Well as evil as he is, his name will also go down in history and will be remembered perhaps more than Maldini on an international level, with this very famous incident.

Both etched their names in Football history, great drama IMO, and drama sells, it may not be role model type of stuff, but it was dramatic and people will be interested in what goes on in 2010 finals because of it. You can be sure of that!!

Suprisingly good for the game commercially.

To think Zidane could take away much of the headlines in newspapers around the world from Italy's win.

Now that's LEGENDARY!!

To a footballer who's class made others kneel "we're not worhty, we're not worthy".
His artistic skills and soft elegant touches will always be remembered, I can't think of any other player who was both elegant in his movement yet very much succesful in his game. Your feet and head will both be equally remembered for beautiful goals and famous incidents.
But you are a football master, the best this generation has to offer. Thank you for all the memories, especially the ones at Juventus.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Greatest player since Maradona, and perhaps the most technically gifted player to have ever played the sport. It's a shame Zizou's career ended in the fashion it did, however it's more of a shame people are trying to take away from his career just because he headbutted some classless Italian. News flash you idiots...Materazzi is a piece of shit who probably deserves more than just a mere headbutt in his life.

There will never be another Zinedine Zidane.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

the greatest player i have seen play in my time. nothing but the upmost respect for this man.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
'Materazzi is the guilty party', insists Zidane

Zinedine Zidane insists Marco Materazzi is the 'guilty person' after claiming the Italy defender had insulted his mother and sister before the France captain launched the headbutt which led to his World Cup final dismissal.

Zidane plans to fully defend himself in the FIFA investigation into the incident in extra-time of the final in Berlin, which saw Zidane thrust his head into the Italy defender's chest.
The 1998 World Cup winner, who could even be stripped of his Golden Ball award as the player of the 2006 tournament, said: 'The reaction is always punished but if there is no provocation there is no reaction. The guilty person is the one who provokes.
'If I reacted that way, it is because something bad happened. Do you really believe that 10 minutes before the end of my career I would be able to make such a bad gesture? The provocation was very serious.'
'There was no tension with Materazzi before or during the match,' Zidane said.
'He just put his hand on to my shirt and I told him to stop. I told him that if he wanted it I could give it to him at the end of the match.
'Then he said very harsh words to me and repeated them several times. I left but then I went back towards him and things went very fast.
'The words he said concerned my mother and sister.
'I heard them once, then twice, and the third time I couldn't control myself. I am a man and some words are harder to hear than actions.
'I would have rather been knocked down than hear that.
'Afterwards I explained to the referee that I had been provoked, but my behaviour is not forgivable,' Zidane said.
During an interview with French television station Canal Plus - in which Zidane gave his first public comments on the incident, Zidane publicly apologised for being sent off, but insisted he did not regret his actions.
'I reacted badly and I would like to apologise for it,' Zidane said.
'I would like to apologise because a lot of children were watching the match. I do apologise but I don't regret my behaviour because regretting it would mean he was right to say what he said.'
Without Zidane, who had earlier given France the lead with a penalty, extra-time finished with the score locked at 1-1, and Zidane's team lost the penalty shoot-out 5-3 to Italy.
The incident was a sad way to end what has been a glittering career for Zidane, but he insisted he would not change his mind about retiring.
'This is a decision I have made and I will not go back on it,' he said. 'This is definite. I will not play again.'
Materazzi himself, who scored the equaliser for Italy on Sunday, made a statement of his own while Zidane was speaking on French television.
'I didn't mention anything about religion, politics or racism,' he said.
'I didn't insult his mother. I lost my mother when I was 15 years old and still get emotional when I talk about it.
'Naturally, I didn't know that his mother was in hospital but I wish her all the best.
'Zidane is my hero and I have always admired him a lot.'

danielz

Apr 5, 2006
Togheter with Alex and Romario, the greatest player I watched.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the chance to see him acting in the stadium, but he always will deserve my respect.

Last Sunday I was supporting Italy, but I wanted a great end to his career, like a Italy 3-2, with him scoring twice to France.
According to wikipedia:
Diego Armando Maradona: Talking about one hundred world footballers he says "Here he is, he (Del Piero) is different from Zidane, he likes to play, he feels it in his soul; between he and the French (Zinedine Zidane), I stay with him." (From the book "Yo soy el Diego de la gente", Maradona's autobiography)
Forza Zizou!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)