The Wire (3 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Anyone watching this?

I'm about to watch the last episode of season 3, and I must say it's really brilliant.
I think it's awesome, but I don't think it's very surprising that people who study or have studied law like this :D.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
The Wire was the best show on television when it was running.
This. I'm with the "best show ever" crowd, but I've never really gotten into its realistic competitors: The Sopranos, The West Wing, and Seinfeld. The Simpsons sometimes gets mentioned too, but Groening has pissed on his own legacy by flogging the dead cash cow.

Simon has said that despite its presentation as a crime drama, the show is "really about the American city, and about how we live together. It's about how institutions have an effect on individuals, and how... whether you're a cop, a longshoreman, a drug dealer, a politician, a judge [or] lawyer, you are ultimately compromised and must contend with whatever institution you've committed to."[4]
That sums it up very well. The show has the finest characterisation I've ever seen. Each season has the depth of plot I'd expect from a novel rather than TV or film. The pacing is unique. There are no gimmicks, only Omar seems a nod to the audience, and he's based on a couple of real people.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Is this better than the "shield" ?
I think i m gonna give it a try, thanks for the suggestion!

PS Just noticed that it has reached season 5!!
That would be enough to make up for a summer without the constant flow of the other series i was watching...

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
The Wire went to five seasons and stopped.

I haven't seen The Shield to compare, but as mentioned above, The Wire regularly gets mentioned as among the best shows ever made.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Seen the Shield, it has a raw and gritty LA street feel to it, decent show, but while the Shield is about 1 side of the things, The Wire is about 10, and it does that one aspect of gangs and police work way better then The Shield too.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
If you guys liked this then you MUST watch The shield.

one of the best and most brutal shows on TV.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Easily one of the best TV Series ever. So very realistic, brilliant acting, fantastic dialogue, interesting and engaging characters, this series has it all.

Omar has to be one of the best and most creative characters I've ever seen in any show or movie.

OP
Geof

Geof

May 14, 2004
  • Thread Starter #34
    If you guys liked this then you MUST watch The shield.

one of the best and most brutal shows on TV.
    I watched Season 1. It's quite good, really.

I've seen many similarities with The Wire (the ambitious captain, the lack of police resources, the corrupt chiefs, the bastard bad cop, ...) but it only deals with the cops' side. You only see the relationships between the gangs through the effect it has on cops (Los Mags, the Toros, Rondell), same for the drug addicts (the hooker, forgot her name).

It's still a very neat show but The Wire has a more complete look of things, from every possible angle.

Also, The Wire is more focused on a long and difficult investigation whereas The Shield is more about everyday police work, with a couple of investigations here and there, but they're solved quite quickly in comparison.

That said, I haven't started Season 2 yet, so it might get (even) better soon.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
    ***SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!***

Fuck, right you are Ze, that was brutal. My apologies, hopefully nobody read too much. You should have cut that shit right out of my post buddy - I wasn't thinking.

icεmαή;2098421 said:
    All five seasons done. One of the best shows I've seen. Omar Little is my favorite character...
    :lol:

Is that because of that full frontal shot? Just kidding... Omar is definitely badass, I agree. I think Bubbles might have been the character that I was cheering for the most.

My favorite TV series, period.

Saw Lieutenant Daniels cruising around downtown Vancouver a couple weeks ago...

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    Eℓvin;2098736 said:
    Basically what everybody's saying is that HBO owns!
    By some huge margin. I mean, Bands of Brothers, John Adams, Rome, Sopranos, Oz, Carnivale, True Blood, Entourage, Generation Kill, The Wire, those are just the tip of the ice berg.

Indeed only series they done that the other networks could have done is Sex and the city, hehe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)