The Walking Dead! (9 Viewers)

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Re watch the episode where Karl shoots Shane. He gets stabbed by rick in an open field and is attacking them as a zombie 30 seconds later.
Yeah, that's a plot hole though. In the science lab the doctor told that the turning starts after 3-4 minutes at least, don't remember the exact time, but not that soon still.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
I don't recall he said anything, but the scientist could be wrong.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120311193544AAH1wIa:

"The show is playing out just like the comic series in this regard. The only real difference is that the comics revealed the details far earlier, within the first few issues. Yes, it's unusual in comparison to the usual method of operation for zombie apocalypse fiction but it's how this specific outbreak works. Go figure.

Ask Robert Kirkman (the writer of the comics and one of the show's producers) if you want to know why. This was his call.

Further, relevant details (at least in regards to how the virus works in the comics):
Time greatly varies between death and zombification, sometimes it is an instant process (rising within seconds after death) and other times it takes far longer (days). There is no real pattern to this, and, at least at the moment, seems rather random.
People do NOT need an infected wound (nor even just an open one for that matter) to become a zombie. It happens to EVERYONE when they die.
The process is NOT speeding up. Someone will die in the future and they will not rise as a zombie nearly as fast as Shane recently did.
The zombies in The Walking Dead are NOT based on the concepts put forth in the Zombie Survival Guide. The two are COMPLETELY unrelated. In fact, Robert Kirkman has specifically stated in many interviews that he avoids zombie fiction (he even explicitely mentions Max Brook's two books, the Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z) like the [zombie?] plague [I kid] in order to keep from (even accidentally) absorbing info from other zombie mythos and inserting it into his own. He want's his own story to remain as original as possible.

PS: On a somewhat separate note, if you like the TV series I HIGHLY recommend reading the comics. It is easily one of the greatest comic books written in the past decade.The show is playing out just like the comic series in this regard. The only real difference is that the comics revealed the details far earlier, within the first few issues. Yes, it's unusual in comparison to the usual method of operation for zombie apocalypse fiction but it's how this specific outbreak works. Go figure.

Ask Robert Kirkman (the writer of the comics and one of the show's producers) if you want to know why. This was his call.

Further, relevant details (at least in regards to how the virus works in the comics):
Time greatly varies between death and zombification, sometimes it is an instant process (rising within seconds after death) and other times it takes far longer (days). There is no real pattern to this, and, at least at the moment, seems rather random.
People do NOT need an infected wound (nor even just an open one for that matter) to become a zombie. It happens to EVERYONE when they die.
The process is NOT speeding up. Someone will die in the future and they will not rise as a zombie nearly as fast as Shane recently did.
The zombies in The Walking Dead are NOT based on the concepts put forth in the Zombie Survival Guide. The two are COMPLETELY unrelated. In fact, Robert Kirkman has specifically stated in many interviews that he avoids zombie fiction (he even explicitely mentions Max Brook's two books, the Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z) like the [zombie?] plague [I kid] in order to keep from (even accidentally) absorbing info from other zombie mythos and inserting it into his own. He want's his own story to remain as original as possible.

PS: On a somewhat separate note, if you like the TV series I HIGHLY recommend reading the comics. It is easily one of the greatest comic books written in the past decade."

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Well in the episode he talked about the experiments, and he said he observed the fastest turning and the slowest, who knows for sure, but in his expiriments those were the results.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Yeah, but as I wrote, he could just be wrong and it's a part of the story. Wasn't Rick surprised too when he turned that quickly?
The surprise was down to the fact that he wasn't bitten and still turned, first time he saw that.

But yeah, none knows for sure I guess, just that this the closest thing to a concrete answer, But I doubt that we will see anyone turn so quicly like shane did. I still think that that was a minor plot hole though :p

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
The surprise was down to the fact that he wasn't bitten and still turned, first time he saw that.

But yeah, none knows for sure I guess, just that this the closest thing to a concrete answer, and I doubt that we will see anyone turn so quicly like shane did. I still think that that was a minor plot hole though :p
Nah, read what I posted. The girl in woods in this season turned quickly too.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Nah, read what I posted. The girl in woods in this season turned quickly too.
True, forgot about her.

Anyway did anyone else notice how zombies became slower with time? Maybe zombie food is scarce too, not enough strenght for sprinting anymore? :D

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
I will watch it today! Not really a spoiler yeah, I was expecting him to show up sooner then later. Just a bit disapointed that it's sooner :D

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
Just started watching, first episode was good. Dark and kind similar to 28 days later but that's ok. Second episode, not so sure about. Too much making light of the dire situation they found themselves in imo. Mixed feelings so far then, will give it a few more episodes to get a feel for the series.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)