The surprising basketball thread (2 Viewers)

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #22
    Quarter finals are played Tuesday and Wednesday:

Spain - Greece
    France - Latvia
    Serbia - Czech Rep
    Italy - Lithuania

It will be very interesting to see how far Italy can go here.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    Quarter-finals, I expect Lithuania to win :D
    I wouldn't bet on it though. It's our weakest team since I don't know when. We play as a team like shit. This will be our first real test with team that can and probably will make use of our turnovers. Honestly I don't see us winning this, if we do it will be some sort of magical-mystical lucky night for us.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
    QF starts today :weee:

Spain - Greece is gonna be one hell of a match. Greece is a well balanced team with 12 very good to excellent players on their roster. Spanoulis is brilliant, Bourousis and Printezis are also great, Calathes, Koufos and Antetokounmpo are solid NBA players, the rest are very good players that have been playing together for years. the team has chemistry, championship experience and the quality to win this tournament. Spain is a bit underrated by people who watch this Eurobasket imo. they barely made it out of their group yes, but they always up their game for the knock out stages. they depend a lot on Gasol, but when he is in his element, no team can stop him. if the rest are supporting him accordingly, they can beat anyone. Mirotic plays with Gasol in Chicago and they play well together, Fernandez and Rodriguez have been playing together for years and know each other perfectly, Llull was the MVP for Real in every competition they played and won last season basically, thats a very good supporting cast for Gasol. their bench is somewhat thin despite the fact that they have 2-3 solid players there. but if the starters play their role and someone from the bench steps up with a couple of 3s or in another way, it wont be noticed.

Greece is my top favorite to win this tournament (Spain is tied at 2 with Serbia for me), so id give them the edge here still. 60-40 chances for them to win.

France - Latvia, anything than a blowout win for France would be a surprise for me here. they are incredibly athletic and physically dominant, play AMAZING defense (they limited Turkey on ~50 pts in their game, Turkey was scoring an average of ~80 pts in the group stage with Serbia, Spain, Italy and Germany), they have Parker (congrats to the Maestro on passing Nikos Galis and becoming the all time scoring leader on the Eurobasket scoring list btw.), Diaw, Batum. however, they need their 3pt shooting to be on, because the opponents will mostly try to fill up the paint and leave them space on the 3pt line so if their shooting is off then theyre in trouble. Turkey did well at this in the 1st half but were too limited offensively (on top of the great french defense) to capitalize on that. so, De Colo, Gelabale, Batum, Pietrous and even Parker need to be hitting them 3pt shots in order for them to have a chance at gold.

so like i said, anything than a blowout win for France is a surprise here. Latvia did excellent to get here but France is too much for them. 95-5 chances for France to win, i left 5% for Latvia in the unlikely scenario that the whole starting 5 of France gets injured miraculously before the game. they would still win probably though...

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #26
    I would welcome an early exit for Spain :D Two years ago the France - Spain semi final in this competition was eeeeeeeeeeeepic! :touched:

Also, welcome to the thread :D

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
    I would welcome an early exit for Spain :D Two years ago the France - Spain semi final in this competition was eeeeeeeeeeeepic! :touched:

Also, welcome to the thread :D

another Spain-France clash would be epic, but France-Greece is also not bad (remember 2005 and Diamantidis :p)

im cheering for a France-Italy final (best defense vs best offense), but Serbia-Greece is more likely i think

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
    so Spain is it. they played a great game, but im surprised how poorly Greece handled the 4th quarter. made 4 team fouls within the 1 minute of 4th quarter and allowed Spain to control the game with free throws. Spain completely took Spanoulis out of the game, especially in 4th quarter, and that was the key for the win for them. Gasol was brilliant, Mirotic played a great supporting role, Claver grabbed some key rebounds, Reyes and Rodriguez also played a solid game. Antetokounmpo and Calathes were great for Greece, Printezis was also good, Spanoulis for most part of the game invisible.

Spain - France (most likely) for the semis, another close game similar to this, but if Gasol repeats a similar performance, i see Spain in the final

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
    2 more games today...

Serbia - Czech, in this game Serbia should have no problems going through. they play fantastic this tournament, both defensively and offensively. Teodosic is running their offense so well, Bjelica, the Euroleague MVP last season, is directly deciding games for them with his performances, the young Bogdanovic can explode and change any game with his shots, others like Raduljica, Kalinic, Markovic, Nedovic, Herceg are playing their roles very well. the team is well balanced, they have a long bench, they have players that can decide games, and they have great chemistry as most of them have been together in the NT for years. Czech surprisingly beat Croatia in their last game. i havent watched them this tournament apart from that game where they looked fantastic the whole game except for the 4th quarter where they slowed down a bit due to their big lead. but Serbia is no Croatia, they are a level above after all. Vesely and Satoransky are playing great in this tournament, their American Blake Schilb is supporting them well. if someone else can step up, like the veteran Jiri Welsch for example, and support the trio above, it could become a more closer and interesting game.

in the end, Serbia - Croatia would have been the better game, mainly because Croatia is normally the better team and because of the rivalry between the 2 nations. this way, i expect Serbia to get to the semis with a comfortable win. 80-20 chances for Serbia

Italy - Lithuania should be a fantastic game. Italy is playing amazing offensively this tournament. Gallinari, together with Gasol, top favorite for the Eurobasket MVP if Italy goes far, Belinelli and Bargnani, 2 other NBA players, Gentile, a fantastic young player. if these guys are hot, they can beat anyone. other players on their bench like Aradori, Cinciarini, Polonara, Cousin are also good players and can step up when needed. if Gigi Datome was fit, id say they are top favorites even. they are such a team that can beat some top team like Greece with +20 one day, then lose to someone like Turkey the other day. they depend a lot on their 3pt shooting and their defense is shaky, those are their weaknesses, but they can make up for that with their fantastic offensive players. key to beating them is stopping Gallinari and Belinelli, but thats much easier said than done. Lithuania is still a mystery to me. they topped a relatively weak group and beat a not so good opponent in their last round. like the Czech, i havent watched them in the 1st round due to the other groups being much more interesting, but they are weaker than last tournament(s) imo. Kleiza is not there, Pocius too, Jasikevicius since 2011. Kalnietis, Maciulis and ofcourse, Valanciunas are the players this team is built around. the rest are mostly solid role players, with some very young uprising stars (Sabonis :klin:) and some players that are close to retirement. i wish id have saw them vs someone like Greece or Serbia to be able to know more about their current level, because even if they lose to Italy, i still would not be able to tell how good that team is (Italy can destroy anyone and lose to anyone).

in this game, i expect Italy to go through still. i cant see a player in Lithuania that can stop, or even slow down, Danilo Gallinari. if Belinelli plays his role as expected, Italy should be able to win this. if Gentile follows them, clear win for Italy. 70-30 in this game chances for Italy.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #39
    Well, that's it. Lithuania is in, Italy is out. That was a really close game.

But after all is said and done the 4 semi finalists are pretty much the favorites that everyone expected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)