The Return of The King (1 Viewer)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
OK...so you've read the book, you've seen the first two movies in the trilogy, you've seen the trailer, and now were on the final count down to the release of Peter Jackson's.........THE RETURN OF THE KING

Tell me all the rumours you've heard about the film, your expectations, your fears, blah, blah, blah, right here on Juventuz.com.

TEL ME, TELL ME, TELL ME NOW!!!!!

I'll start-

Christopher Lee's been cut from the cinema version of the film....so how does Aragorn get the Gondorian palantere (spelling)?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
In total he had 7 minutes from the entire movie so it's not such a big loss....though these 7 mins will be on the dvd release i guess.

I'm so looking forward to this movie. I still remember 2 years ago before the first movie came out I was "**** how am i gonna wait all these years to see the three movies??? time will not pass by!" and in fact it did :D

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
Its not so much how long he was in it .. its the importance of the scene... To many (inc myself) this was a key part of the book that will now be missing.

It will indeed be reinstated for the extended edition dvd

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
I'm sure that if they decided to cut it they had good reasons and a good way how to go around it. Peter Jackson is extremely competent :)

OP
Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #6
    ++ [ originally posted by Shadowfax ] ++
    Its not so much how long he was in it .. its the importance of the scene... To many (inc myself) this was a key part of the book that will now be missing.
    Exactly...I'm a wee bit worried about this movie:dazed:

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++

Exactly...I'm a wee bit worried about this movie:dazed:
    That make 2 of us rover, but then allthough i enjoyed ttt i was unhappy with the way it strayed from the book and imo destroyed certain characters so i spose i shouldnt expect this one to follow the book either...

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
    I'm sure that if they decided to cut it they had good reasons and a good way how to go around it. Peter Jackson is extremely competent :)

You can expect to see those 7 minutes on the Special 4 or 5 disc dvd package that they come out with about a month or so after the normal DVD release.

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #9
    Like you I appreciate that Jackson can't fit everthing into three hours or so, but why stray needlessly from what is, let's face it, a masterpiece?

The Fellowship was wonderfull, but TTT an anti-climax. (although by it's self a good movie if you aren't a devotee of JRRT work)

Let's hope he keeps the fundamentals of the book intact and we all come away feeling justice was done to the written word:frown:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Like you I appreciate that Jackson can't fit everthing into three hours or so, but why stray needlessly from what is, let's face it, a masterpiece?

The Fellowship was wonderfull, but TTT an anti-climax. (although by it's self a good movie if you aren't a devotee of JRRT work)

Let's hope he keeps the fundamentals of the book intact and we all come away feeling justice was done to the written word:frown:

I've never read the books, so I don't really know what is or isn't cut out in the movie. I judge these movies as stand-alone pieces of work, and to me, they were both fantastic movies.

This trilogy could rival Star Wars (episodes 4,5, & 6, not the abortions that were these last two movies) as the best trilogy to ever come out.

And for the record, Peter Jacson, right now, has total autonomy over what or how long the movie can be. But he's a businessman, and he knows that the sheep (i.e. you and I) will buy the special edition 5 DVD release just for those extra 7 minutes.

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #11
    Sorry guy, I was replying to Shadowfax's post just above yours:D

You popped your post in just after I had started to write

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Sorry guy, I was replying to Shadowfax's post just above yours:D

You popped your post in just after I had started to write

Oh.

Sorry.

Well, at least I turned your constructive quote into a constructive response.

I think.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    yeah. the ending will be the same as the book, right?
    sort of

Jackson said it will finish with the grey havens but that there is no place for the scouring of the shire

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    I think that the straying from the books, while irking to those of us who loved the books, has been done only where a small deviation, which didn't seriously impact on the story, could be changed or cut to make it shorter.

Tolkiens story, for all its qualities, is verbose and over-long, often meandering unnecessarily.

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #18
    Just watched the extended version ot TTT.
    There's a mini-doc disc in which Jackson et al explain why they changed the storylines...ok...maybe now I wont rant at them so much, although they more or less admit it was done for continuity reasons.

On the extended version, not much new that adds to the film - maybe one or two scenes

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Why should they need to change the storylines for continuity reasons? If they'd just stuck to the original plot, they wouldn't need to change anything :)

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #20
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    Why should they need to change the storylines for continuity reasons? If they'd just stuck to the original plot, they wouldn't need to change anything :)

Well, they said that they didn't want the end or TTT to be just as the book, as then the battle of Helms Deep would be compeeting with the fight with Shelob...so they expanded Faramir's role to play out time; they also couldn't believe he (Faramir) would just capture them (Frodo & Sam), interogate them a little, then offer them a cup of tea and send them on their way.

Besides as Tolkien was inconsiderate enough (my words) not to kill off a main character, as he did Boromir at the end of TFOTR, thus ending the film with an emotional outpuring of sadness, they wanted to concentrate on Helms Deep as the main focul point of TTT.
    Maybe also, because TROTK is slightly shorter than the other books, they wanted to stretch it out a little.

As for the continuity reason...they have a bigger role for Farmir in the final movie than JRRT had allowed, so for that reason they had to change things retrospectively) to explain what will happen in TROTK ( there is a new section in the extended movie which features Boromir, Faramir and their father discussing the Council of Elrond and why B is sent.)

Hey guy, your not gonna proof correct my post are you?:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)