The Return of The King (1 Viewer)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++
This movie is some real dangerous stuff, people has been brainwashed to camp outside the theater four weeks before the premier.
Some people think that Hitler was a decent, misunderstood bloke, who didn't do half of what he's accused of. Some people kill themselves. Some people...:rolleyes:

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
I've got it on wednesday, really looking forward to it. I'm gonna try to approach this with an open mind, since if you go in there looking for faults when compared to the book you're never going to enjoy it. TTT strayed quite a bit from the storyline, and in particular faramir was represented very badly IMO. However that doesn't change the fact that the film was very enjoyable, one of the best I'll see.

I just hope he doesn't get carried away

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
I think that the straying from the books, while irking to those of us who loved the books, has been done only where a small deviation, which didn't seriously impact on the story, could be changed or cut to make it shorter.

Tolkiens story, for all its qualities, is verbose and over-long, often meandering unnecessarily.
that's for damn sure!

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
i've seen it, i just cant help laughing at how gay frodo & sam was but thats a different story.
I've had flu all week, at its worst on Wednesday night..naturally I had to give up my ticket to someone who wasn't dying. I'll go as soon as my hedache pisses off :fero:

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
It was pretty good, didn't seem like three and a half hours. My biggest complaint is that some of the actors (especially the guy who plays Pippin, or at least think it was him, the guy who was a guard) are bad. I could have acted better than the Pippin bloke.

OP
Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #56
    Well, saw it this afternoon.

Completely underwelmed.

Good fight scenes, special effects, and so on.

Crap script, terrible acting in places, and, just like TTT, unnecessary scenes which are not in the book which take up stupid time which could have been used to included scenes which were.

Won't see it again the the cinema, will just wait till next November or whenever to get the extended DVD.

If this wins best picture or best director it'll be a political decision, not based on merit.

The final hour for example...how could a film win best picture with such poor editing...bah humbug...:(

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #57
    The scene were Sam tells Shelob to "Get your hands of her, B*tch!"...sorry, caught in Alien 2 mode there...."Get your hands of him, Filth!" made me cringe.....

And the rallying cry from Aragon before the Black Gates...straight from the Braveheart school of script writting, but not as well delivered... did it inspire? Well, if I was a soldier of Gondor, I'd still be running away now....

The cgi effect's and cinematoghraphy are the saving point of this film, and you should see it just for those. But (and I don't want to seem like a stuck up snob here) if you've read the book, you have to ask the question...why add things which don't explain or improve the story as interperated by Jackson, when the original is by far superior.

For me, the book TLOTR's isn't about the battles, but about the brotherhood between the main protagonists, captured in the superb dialogue written by a master...that's what makes the book so enduring. These sentiments will never age and will be appreciated centuries from now. Take away the dialogue between these people, and you remove the heart and sole of TLOTR. Jacksons dialogue is so poor and obvious it's sad.

An opportunity missed to make the greatest book to many into the greatest films yet.

I'm so dissapointed:down:

I rate it about 7.75 out of 10

violette

Aug 30, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++
    The scene were Sam tells Shelob to "Get your hands of her, B*tch!"...sorry, caught in Alien 2 mode there...."Get your hands of him, Filth!" made me cringe.....

And the rallying cry from Aragon before the Black Gates...straight from the Braveheart school of script writting, but not as well delivered... did it inspire? Well, if I was a soldier of Gondor, I'd still be running away now....

The cgi effect's and cinematoghraphy are the saving point of this film, and you should see it just for those. But (and I don't want to seem like a stuck up snob here) if you've read the book, you have to ask the question...why add things which don't explain or improve the story as interperated by Jackson, when the original is by far superior.

For me, the book TLOTR's isn't about the battles, but about the brotherhood between the main protagonists, captured in the superb dialogue written by a master...that's what makes the book so enduring. These sentiments will never age and will be appreciated centuries from now. Take away the dialogue between these people, and you remove the heart and sole of TLOTR. Jacksons dialogue is so poor and obvious it's sad.

An opportunity missed to make the greatest book to many into the greatest films yet.

I'm so dissapointed:down:

I rate it about 7.75 out of 10
    Totally agreed!:touched::thumb:

Please do the review and rate it here too:
    http://www.theonering.net/index.shtml

Or, have you done it already?:D

violette ---another dissapointed LOTR fan :down:

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #60
    ++ [ originally posted by violette ] ++

Totally agreed!:touched::thumb:

Please do the review and rate it here too:
    http://www.theonering.net/index.shtml

Or, have you done it already?:D

violette ---another dissapointed LOTR fan :down:
    Hi Violette...I'll go there for a look see

To someone who hasn't read the book they are probably wondering what the heck we are complaining about...I guess I really am just a stuck up snob...and long may I stay that way:dontcare:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)