The return of Edgar Davids................. (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Why would we want Davids to return at this stage? Emerson is currently a much better player while Blasi and Appiah have futures ahead of them.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Juventus could be preparing an audacious move to bring Edgar Davids back to the Delle Alpi.

Director general Luciano Moggi has made it clear that the Bianconeri are searching for a quality midfielder to play alongside Emerson.

The Dutch international is believed to be No 1 on his list despite looking out of sorts since his move to Inter this summer.

Boss Fabio Capello is a known admirer of the combative ace, trying to sign him for old club Roma on more than one occasion.

Davids left Juventus last summer on a free transfer after spending the last six months of his Turin contract on loan at Barcelona.

Should Inter reject Juventus’ approach, the Bianconeri could make enquiries about another Inter player who Capello knows from his Roma days, Cristiano Zanetti.

However, the main stumbling block over either proposed move seems to be the poor relations between the two Serie A giants.

Meanwhile, Juve’s attempts to sign Javier Mascherano from River Plate also seem to have run into trouble.

According to some sources, the talented 20-year-old has already reached an agreement with Corinthians, but is likely to stay in Buenos Aires until the summer in any case.
from Channel 4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you imagine the freedom Emerson gets, he will be playing next to a high caliber player that will do a lot of what he is currently doing.....
Davids will be back on top form if he returns and I am sure of it....
Pitbull! Welcome back :)

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
Oct 27, 2004
--Del P./Mutu--Zlatan/Trezegol
-----------Neved
----Davids-Emerson-Camo
Zambo-Canna-Thuram-Zebina
-----------Buffon

This looks like a good thing ;)

if this happens I presume:

we will get rid of Appiah, Tacchinardi.
And we will then get Chiellini back, which means so long Birindelli or Pessotto. Ferrara will resign and something will happen to Montero. This means we need new defenders. I want Chivu+Andrade and then Miguel or someone on the right ;)

Mutu may become switched for Cassano, which I would want ;) what a dream Cassano - Zlatan on top ;)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
That's an interesting formation, DDP. Davids' return could see the return of the 4-3-1-2 system, a system that brought us two Scudetti and a CL final under Lippi. Edgar is capable of playing slightly to the left as we have seen in the past and Zambrotta would be able to overlap and have more of the left flank to himself which is imo a plus. Moving Nedved back to the centre would also aid our cause as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps it has to do with age, but you can't deny the fact that Pavel has been far less effective this season at left wing than he was in previous ones behind the strikers. He isn't as creative as I would like, but he's a good passer of the ball and has an excellent shot from range, both with his left and right. Playing him on the left somewhat nullifies his ability to hit screamers from distance IMO and we lack a goalscoring threat from midfield.

Davids would be a good signing if utilised correctly, but he's going to require a large salary and with the money we would save from neglecting his signature we could bring in a much needed creative midfielder in the form of Riquelme or Rosicky, or a good two-way centre mid a la Maniche, Maresca, Pizarro.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Davids set for shock return? Thursday 20 January, 2005

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juventus could be preparing an audacious move to bring Edgar Davids back to the Delle Alpi.

Director general Luciano Moggi has made it clear that the Bianconeri are searching for a quality midfielder to play alongside Emerson.

The Dutch international is believed to be No 1 on his list despite looking out of sorts since his move to Inter this summer.

Boss Fabio Capello is a known admirer of the combative ace, trying to sign him for old club Roma on more than one occasion.

Davids left Juventus last summer on a free transfer after spending the last six months of his Turin contract on loan at Barcelona.

Should Inter reject Juventus’ approach, the Bianconeri could make enquiries about another Inter player who Capello knows from his Roma days, Cristiano Zanetti.

However, the main stumbling block over either proposed move seems to be the poor relations between the two Serie A giants.

Meanwhile, Juve’s attempts to sign Javier Mascherano from River Plate also seem to have run into trouble.
According to some sources, the talented 20-year-old has already reached an agreement with Corinthians, but is likely to stay in Buenos Aires until the summer in any case.

source: channel4.com

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Upwards of 20 Million Euros. :D
He's certainly worth it though. Maniche is a world-class midfielder and sooner or latter he'll be playing with one of Europe's big boys and I'm sure that his signing is going to be extremely beneficial to which ever club he joins, regardless of his cost. He's exactly what we need, a solid central midfielder with good attacking ability. Moggi was willing to spend close to 20m for Zlatan so I would like to think that he'd splash 25 for a player of Maniche's quality.

Monkfish

Jun 14, 2003
I would welcome Davids back with open arms.

The sooner Appiah goes the better (apparently Atletico Madrid are interested), I have said this all along and his recent performances have confirmed this for me, he simply isn't good enough - I don't think he'll ever improve enough to be good enough for Juve.

I don't mind Blasi, he is the best of the three but he is definitely the weak link in our midfield when he plays - and I don't think he should be playing for a team who have aspirations of winning the CL. He is the best of a bad bunch.

Tacchi has been poor ever since Davids left (or since Davids was put on the bench) and without a quality player alongside him to 'guide' him then he struggles. If Juve wants to be the best then he isn't up to the job.

I think Davids can fill this role much better than the 3 we currently have, and can be used until Juve finds a quality long-term player for the position (maybe Mascherano).

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Davids set for shock return?
Thursday 20 January, 2005

++ [ originally posted by azzurri7 ] ++
Appiah and Blasi are enough
:undecide:

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
I have a feeling Davids is a long way over the hill though and into the deep valley. He's too old and nowhere near his form which saw him become a big player for juve.

I say splash the cash, as Stuart wrote, on either Maniche, Maresca or Pizarro.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
Davids I would welcome him with open arms! He is one of my favourite players a player with great determination who never gives up and has a great defence but also know how to push the midfield forward I say get him!
I don`t know how is he now but the last time I saw him was when he played in Juve and in Barcelona and he was great I wonder how is he now comparing to then...

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
Oct 27, 2004
imagine this:

-----Mutu - Zlatan

-------Riquelme

Nedved-Emerson-Camo

Zamb-canna-Thuram-Zebina

---------Buffon

I would like this to happen.
And then we get Miguel and use Zebina as a backup for Miguel, then we can get Andrade or Chivu to replace Thuram.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Upwards of 20 Million Euros. :D
Rubbish, Deco wasnt that expensive, and Giuly went for less.

IMO, we could probably get him for a maximum of 10 mil €, probably even 7. He is very underrated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)