The Rejuvenated Funny Pics Thread - NO VIDEOS (YouTube Included) (125 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It's all a culture thing, can't hate on someone for that. Who are we to say one culture is better than the other?
Ummmm, disagree. You can't smear feces on your face and tell me it's to ward off the evil spirits that cause disease and have me be ok with that.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
It's all a culture thing, can't hate on someone for that. Who are we to say one culture is better than the other?
False modesty. All positions are not equally valid. If a guy put a gun to your head and explained that you will die, and that this is part of his culture, you wouldn't say "oh okay then, go ahead".

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
False modesty. All positions are not equally valid. If a guy put a gun to your head and explained that you will die, and that this is part of his culture, you wouldn't say "oh okay then, go ahead".
Imperialistic approach to the world? :p

What if they practice sacrifices, baby eating contests and all that other fun stuff? But they do this only within their culture circle and that doesn't really have any impact on your well being, do you guys still think it's ok and just a culture or that it's wrong and we should step in to "teach" how to live their lives?

OP
Sheik Yerbouti
Apr 15, 2006
  • Thread Starter #20,296

What if they practice sacrifices, baby eating contests and all that other fun stuff? But they do this only within their culture circle and that doesn't really have any impact on your well being, do you guys still think it's ok and just a culture or that it's wrong and we should step in to "teach" how to live their lives?
    Do what's helpful to all humans involved: stop the killing.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    Do what's helpful to all humans involved: stop the killing.
    What if they protect their rituals and culture, they choose to fight for their rights, in this particular case this would bring more deaths much more then the few they babies they eat and sacrifices they make? Still the option is to invade and force them into our way of doing things?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    No. Just pointing out that there is no neutral position that is tenable here. People who like to think all cultures and all moral systems are equally valid are living in a fantasy world. And I can well imagine why, because the alternative is really hard to deal with.

Don't have an answer to this.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    No. Just pointing out that there is no neutral position that is tenable here. People who like to think all cultures and all moral systems are equally valid are living in a fantasy world. And I can well imagine why, because the alternative is really hard to deal with.

Don't have an answer to this.
    #1 Agreed

#2 Me too, no real answer. I guess I would be in favor of just letting them be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 121)