The perfect goal (1 Viewer)

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
The perfect goal

It may have been 36 years ago, but Carlos Alberto says he can still remember "everything" about the goal that many consider the greatest ever scored.

It is little wonder. The final goal in Brazil's 4-1 demolition of Italy in the 1970 World Cup final combined sublime individual skill with almost telepathic teamwork in a move that has come to symbolise the wonder of a unique collection of footballers.

Originating with the Brazil centre-forward, Tostao, in the left-back position, the ball passed through all but two of the team's outfield players on its way to the goal's breathtaking climax.

As Carlos Alberto puts it, midfielder Clodoaldo "started the carnival" by dribbling past four Italian challenges in his own half, before passing to Rivelino, who lobbed it forward to Jairzinho on the left wing.

On the left a few metres outside Italy's penalty area, Jairzinho passed to Pele, who was standing to his right just outside the "D".

Brazil's legendary number 10 paused before stroking the ball into what appeared to be empty space to his right.

Then, seemingly from nowhere, Carlos Alberto arrived like an express train and smashed a thunderbolt of a shot into the far corner of the net.

Here, the scorer recalls the moment for which he was recently awarded a trophy by football governing body Fifa for the most beautiful goal in World Cup history.

"I remember everything about that goal. We knew before the game it could happen, because we knew how the Italian team played. They played man-to-man on the central line. They followed our forwards.

And our coach, Mario Zagallo, said to Jairzinho: 'Always, if it's possible, make a movement to the left side to bring (Italy left-back Giacinto) Facchetti with you to make space for Carlos Alberto to go forward.'

I tried a few times to go there but football is interesting because we know how the opponent will play but we cannot count how many goals we will score.

But towards the end of the game, Jairzinho was on the left side with Facchetti, who left his position to follow him. There was space for me on the right side.

When Jairzinho received the ball from Rivelino and gave the ball to Pele my stride was totally open, and Pele waited a few seconds for me to be there and then gave a beautiful pass for me to score.

Pele knew I was coming, because we had spoken about that kind of chance before the game, if Jairzinho made the movement to the left side.

We only realised how beautiful the goal was after the game.

The emotion, of course, when I scored that goal was incredible, but after the game, and still today, I realise how beautiful and how important that goal was because everybody is still talking about it.

Nobody talks about Pele's goal, the first goal, the second goal. It is always about the fourth goal. I think it was the best goal ever scored in a World Cup.

A month ago, German television came to my house and they brought a nice trophy for me because Fifa conceded my goal was the most beautiful goal in the World Cup. Not because of the goal, but because of how we created it.

The goal was a little detail, but the kind of play from the defensive line was great.

Anybody can score a goal, but in that move nine different players touched the ball before the goal.

But I was lucky, because I scored the goal."

Carlos Alberto was talking to Andrew Benson

Story from BBC SPORT

GREATEST WORLD CUP GOALS
1 Carlos Alberto v Italy, 1970
2 Maradona v England, 1986
3 Owairan v Belgium, 1994
4 Mattaus v Yugoslavia, 1990
5 Owen v Argentina, 1998
6 Bergkamp v Argentina, 1998
7 Baggio v Czechoslovakia, 1990
8 Josimar v N Ireland, 1986
9 Cruyff v Brazil, 1974
10 Pele v Czechoslovakia, 1970
List compiled for BBC's World Cup Goals Crazy programme

The Goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrSW0t712K4&search=carlos%20alberto

I saw this goal a long time ago and thought it was absolutely amazing, I dind't even know it was considered to be the best WC goal of all time. Brilliant!!

edit: I found the video of the Top 10 goals of all time (in the World Cup) voted by the BBC:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
the best world cup goal ever is a brazilian on the right wing who somehow does the most amazing curling shot i've ever seen with the outside of his right foot into the far corner )top) - awesome!

OP
Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #5
    Tom said:
    the best world cup goal ever is a brazilian on the right wing who somehow does the most amazing curling shot i've ever seen with the outside of his right foot into the far corner )top) - awesome!
    It's in the video at #8 by Josimar v N Ireland, 1986 ;)

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    I haven't seen a couple of the goals on the list, but I find it hard to believe that a few of the other eight are amongst the 10 best goals ever in the WC.

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
    Aug 1, 2002
    Seriously, only Maradona can score the 2 most contraversial goals in the history of football in the same game, let alone the same half.

Sep 28, 2002
    Martin said:
    Greatest or not, I love Carlos Alberto's goal, I've seen it so many times too. :star:
    whats so great about about it? few fancy dribbles from a defender, and couple of passes in front of standing defenders. nice goal, but the best in the world cup history?

love the comment from the commentator in the video from the first post:D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Fliakis said:
    whats so great about about it? few fancy dribbles from a defender, and couple of passes in front of standing defenders. nice goal, but the best in the world cup history?
    I love the shot, it's magical in a way. And I'm not saying it's the greatest or whatever, it's just great.

OP
    Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #20
    Fliakis said:

love the comment from the commentator in the video from the first post:D
    Well, this should have told you:

A month ago, German television came to my house and they brought a nice trophy for me because Fifa conceded my goal was the most beautiful goal in the World Cup. Not because of the goal, but because of how we created it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)