The PC hardware thread (2 Viewers)

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
Okay, thank you. I don't know anything about computers. Is an AMD Radeon R3 a shitty card, relatively speaking (its in a fairly slim laptop chassis)?
2019 and AMD Radeon R5 M330 . still can run pes 2019 smoothly.

Last edited:

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
2019 and AMD Radeon R5 M330 . still can run pes 2019 smoothly.
True. The R3 managed Dota 2 and a game called Insurgency on mid-level graphics. No more than that.

I have a Dell XPS 13 now. Really isn't much better. I'd kill for a proper desktop but it's probably a good thing that I'm constrained gaming-wise.

Last edited:

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
my logitech marathon mouse started to have click issues the other day. single click turned into a double click, double click turned into multiple clicks, drag&drop didn't work, it was random and unpredictable. local stores got nothing i'd buy, so i almost ordered an other mouse online, but i thought it would take an other week or two for the new one to arrive, so i stated to look for some diy solution, and found a youtube vid about a potential repair:

it turned out great, now the micro switch is working fine. also, i found an other one, a logitech vx nano in the drawer with the same issue. fortunately i didn't throw it out once it was broken, because fixing it took me an other 20-25 minutes.

Apr 15, 2006
Built a new 1440p gaming rig over the last few months now.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Acer VG271U Pbmiipx 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro L Wired Standard Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G305 (Black) Wireless Optical Mouse

20190901_031314.jpg

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Built a new 1440p gaming rig over the last few months now.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Acer VG271U Pbmiipx 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro L Wired Standard Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G305 (Black) Wireless Optical Mouse

20190901_031314.jpg
nice. how's noise? did you even try the original cpu cooler at all?

Apr 15, 2006
nice. how's noise? did you even try the original cpu cooler at all?
Yea, the stock Wraith Stealth cooler was a bit noisy, but my temps were touching 92C on load, even after applying fresh thermal paste and reseating it properly, so I got the Noctua instead. Temps dropped by almost 20C and it's far less noisier than stock. My GPU gets a lil loud, but it's acceptable for a reference card.

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
OK, so I have a problem with my external hdd. I used it with media creation tool from microsoft to save a virtual image of windows on it from which I can boot a windows installation from. For some reason bios doesn't recognize it and I couldn't boot the image from it. So now I plug in my hdd into pc and instead of acting as a regular usb/external hdd it's acting as a virtual drive and I can't see any of my files. I had over 100 GB of stuff on it, is there any way I can revert it back, stop being a virtual drive and just a usb again?

- - - Updated - - -

Figured it out. Apparently a whole bunch of people had this problem because stupid microsoft doesn't warn you that your disk or usb is about to become a 32GB virtual drive no matter how big it is. 500GB almost lost. People who had this issue say they solved it with data recovery software like easeus so I'm hoping that'll help.

Idk if I'll be able to actually recover the files without a license for it so if anyone has a license I would really appreciate if I could borrow it just once.

Last edited:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
My new PC comes in on Friday. :weee:

- - - Updated - - -

It is a Dell XPS that I customized. I don't have the time to actually build a PC on my own. Good value for the price, although it did end up getting to be expensive. XPS 8930

NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
9th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 9900 (8-Core, 16MB Cache, up to 5GHz with Intel(R) Turbo Boost Technology)
256GB PCIe x4 SSD + 1TB 7200RPM HDD
16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz UDIMM Non-ECC

- - - Updated - - -

BDRE Drive (Reads and Writes to Blu-Ray disks)
Thunderbolt 3 PCIe Network and IO Card
Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5.0

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
that's a beast indeed.

i also upgraded my desktop pc, and since i find building a pc fun, i did it myself. i don't play games at all, but i needed some extra computing power and ram to handle raw files. so here's what i went with:
- ryzen 5 3400g
- some 16gb ram
- gigabyte b450 aorus m motherboard
- nzxt s340 elite case
- some noctua fans for both the cpu and the case
- samsung 512gb nvme as system drive
- bought a 4tb wd red for the nas and moved the previous hdd into the case to have 5tb of storage in the case and 4tb in the nas altogether (+1tb offline backup)

a nice balanced machine on the budget that suits my needs perfectly. i only need a new external dac/headphone amp/guitar interface (motu m2 probably) and i'm set for the next couple of years.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
My new PC comes in on Friday. :weee:

- - - Updated - - -

It is a Dell XPS that I customized. I don't have the time to actually build a PC on my own. Good value for the price, although it did end up getting to be expensive. XPS 8930

NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
9th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 9900 (8-Core, 16MB Cache, up to 5GHz with Intel(R) Turbo Boost Technology)
256GB PCIe x4 SSD + 1TB 7200RPM HDD
16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz UDIMM Non-ECC

- - - Updated - - -

BDRE Drive (Reads and Writes to Blu-Ray disks)
Thunderbolt 3 PCIe Network and IO Card
Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5.0
Congrats! You can now run fortnite at 240 fps for your child

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
For that beast GPU and processor I would have rolled with 32gb RAM. Also a hybrid HDD despite the ssd. But its still a beast

32GB was too much money. Trust me, I would have. But when your wife is literally over your shoulder as you click the options....................................... :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

I also have an external 8TB HDD that is 3.1 compliant that I am using right now, so the secondary storage on the build wasn't important to me

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
32GB was too much money. Trust me, I would have. But when your wife is literally over your shoulder as you click the options....................................... :lol:
Like that GPU and processor weren't expensive :D

Most of i7 and 1080s specs have 16gb at this point, which is rather "outdated", that's why I said it. Either way you're ending up with a great PC, no doubt about it. Btw if you can pick I'd recommend Noctua ventilators (coolers?), they are incredible imo.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Like that GPU and processor weren't expensive :D

Most of i7 and 1080s specs have 16gb at this point, which is rather "outdated", that's why I said it. Either way you're ending up with a great PC, no doubt about it. Btw if you can pick I'd recommend Noctua ventilators (coolers?), they are incredible imo.
I will definitely be in the market for a Noctua cooler.

As far as the memory, it is easier for me to just buy the extra memory and install it, rather than even try to replace the GPU or processor

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I will definitely be in the market for a Noctua cooler.

As far as the memory, it is easier for me to just buy the extra memory and install it, rather than even try to replace the GPU or processor
Yeah, that's totally reasonable. Makes total sense.

I don't know if I'll get my job once corona finishes but I hope I do. My PC needs a refreshment badly, it's really old and quite bad. Can't afford much and I doubt I'll buy a new PC at this point so looking at one piece as a best buy I'm looking into RX 580 to replace my GPU. But I literally need to replace everything lol.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
Yeah, that's totally reasonable. Makes total sense.

I don't know if I'll get my job once corona finishes but I hope I do. My PC needs a refreshment badly, it's really old and quite bad. Can't afford much and I doubt I'll buy a new PC at this point so looking at one piece as a best buy I'm looking into RX 580 to replace my GPU. But I literally need to replace everything lol.
Just join the console master race when the PS5 comes out :tuttosport:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Just join the console master race when the PS5 comes out :tuttosport:
Nah. PS5 games are gonna be expensive so that's a no-no at the moment. I can always play crack versions on my PC for free :p

Also, it's not just the games. I'm into photography at this point so I'm using Photoshop and my old PC isn't really helping there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)