The PC hardware thread (1 Viewer)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I like your optimism .
Depending on what he is using the PC for, sixteen gigs is good for five years. If you're working with multiple applications simultaneously, right now that's the minimum.

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk
Nah, he said he's getting additional 16 gigs of ram, not 16 total.

Depends which applications. 16gigs can carry majority of the programs unless it's some kickass rendering, modelling or such.

Buy on AliExpress.com

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
:lol2: ok, now we're talking. You're set for another 10 years without buying anything else.

It would have cost me 200.00 to add the 16GB if I had done it when I initially ordered the PC. Now I just need to make sure I don't fuck the whole thing up when I install it. :lol: It's been sitting there in its box since it got here, so once the Memory comes in, I will open it up and install it.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. If he has 32 now, he is going to be fine.

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

That is what I have now. Unless I fuck up installing it, then I'll have nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah, he said he's getting additional 16 gigs of ram, not 16 total.

Depends which applications. 16gigs can carry majority of the programs unless it's some kickass rendering, modelling or such.

I really went way overboard on this PC :lol: I don't even play games on it, and if I do, they are 20 years old.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw I recently bought a mini SSD and 16 gigs of ram. Huge upgrade for me.

Now I need a new GPU and PSU :p my PSU makes hell of a noise, it's just insane.

Nice.

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
Any avid PC builders around here?

Hopefully I'll be getting a new job in the next few weeks so I started looking into PC components on newegg and partpicker. This is something I put together last night playing around:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ILCAML/saved/z78Gqs

Could anyone more savvy tell me how good is it, how long could it serve me, should I be able to run next-gen games for the next few years on it etc.

The one I have now (Radeon R9 200 series, i7 4770 dual core and 8 gigs of RAM) served me very well for 5-6 years now. I ran all games from FIFA to NBA 2K to AC, Hitman, Mafia and GTA V with no problem. Could the build above do the same in next 4-5 years?

And when is the best time to buy? Current price of 1300$ is a bit too steep. How much lower will it get in the next 4-5 months? Black Friday, Cyber Monday, New Year sales etc?

Also, please suggest any changes to this build you feel could be better, cheaper etc...

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Yeah, can't see the link above.

What I can recommend is not buying a cheap PSU if you're getting a good PC. People usually try to save on those. IMO Be Quiet, Corsair and Thermaltake are great picks.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I'd also go for Ryzen. The only thing I'd consider changing would be GPU.

As for brands, I'd recommend staying away from Toshiba. I don't have good experience with them, nor I had it when I worked in sales. Also, I think you should check out AOC monitors.

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
I'd also go for Ryzen. The only thing I'd consider changing would be GPU.

As for brands, I'd recommend staying away from Toshiba. I don't have good experience with them, nor I had it when I worked in sales. Also, I think you should check out AOC monitors.
SSD, HDD and everything below CPU, GPU and MOBO is most likely subject to change. These are here more like placeholders for price and testing since I won't be able to buy any of these from USA anyway.

GPU is probably the best I can afford in this price range. RTX 2060 Super is also an option, but it's a little more expensive and everywhere I looked they say RX is slightly better? I've had the current Sapphire card for 5 years without any issues too.

I did find one AOC monitor:

https://www.olx.ba/artikal/33445745/monitor-aoc-24b1xhs-24-ips-hdmi-novo/

But this one also looks nice and is a little cheaper:

https://www.olx.ba/artikal/23497228/asus-full-hd-led-vp247hr-hdmi-dvi-24-novo/

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
SSD, HDD and everything below CPU, GPU and MOBO is most likely subject to change. These are here more like placeholders for price and testing since I won't be able to buy any of these from USA anyway.

GPU is probably the best I can afford in this price range. RTX 2060 Super is also an option, but it's a little more expensive and everywhere I looked they say RX is slightly better? I've had the current Sapphire card for 5 years without any issues too.

I did find one AOC monitor:

https://www.olx.ba/artikal/33445745/monitor-aoc-24b1xhs-24-ips-hdmi-novo/

But this one also looks nice and is a little cheaper:

https://www.olx.ba/artikal/23497228/asus-full-hd-led-vp247hr-hdmi-dvi-24-novo/
Yeah, RX is better. 2060 is amazing :D

Dunno, it might be subjective, but I prefer AOC monitors. I think they are brilliant, especially their high-end products.

Also, one recommendation. Don't mind investing ~30 euros, maybe less, and buy NF-S12A Noctua fan for the case. It's 120mm and it's brilliant. IMO that's a must have for any better PC. Their CPU coolers are also brilliant, by far the best out there imo, but they go for 100 euros and more.

Apr 15, 2006
Idk why it's doing that, I changed to public. Nvm, here's a new one:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ILCAML/saved/#view=zv8Gqs

Too bad the prices in Bosnia aren't the same. The same build I looked at here costs 300-400$ more.
CPU+motherboard combo looks good. Although if you can find the Ryzen 3600 instead, then you should go for that. The 3600X has about 200 Mhz higher clockspeed but at higher power and temperature requirements. Although the box cooler of 3600X is better than the 3600 one, you could save a few bucks by going for the 3600. Still, that in no way means that the 3600X is bad. Both will easily last you 3-4 years at least.

For RAM, while the 3600 Mhz is a pretty good sweet spot for Ryzen CPUs, 3200 Mhz RAM should be more than enough for average computing+gaming needs. Framerate differences during gaming for 3600 vs. 3200 isn't very really noticeable, and a 3200 Mhz RAM kit should be cheaper than 3600. Unless you'll be doing very CPU-intensive work on your PC, go with 3200.

Storage options look good, although if I were you, I'd totally skip the mechanical drive and go all out on SSDs. It feels great to have everything on your PC be readily accessible as opposed to the warm-up lag that comes when you try to access something on the HDD after it's been put to sleep for power saving. It also makes your PC quieter. Also, since this motherboard has M.2 slots, you could go for an M.2 SSD drive as that'll mean fewer cables, better airflow and an overall cleaner look. Again, this is just a suggestion based on personal preference and not necessary if you can't afford it.

If you're only gonna be using only one 1080p monitor, then that GPU is gonna be overkill. Unless you plan on doing 4K gaming on this machine or if you'll be using a dual monitor setup, you wouldn't need a 5700XT. You'd be better off going for a 5600XT (if available) or an RTX 2060 Super. You may face some driver stability issues with the AMD GPUs while the Nvidia one should be relatively more stable, but at a cost.

If you really wanna get a 1080p monitor, then you might as well get one with a 144 Hz or 165 Hz refresh rate. It makes a huge difference over 60-75 Hz monitors and with a kickass GPU, you'll have one bloody smooth gaming experience.

As Dusey said, don't skimp on the PSU. Look up this PSU Tier list and pick one from B or B+ tier. The one on this list is pretty good and should be pretty efficient. And yes, cooling is important too, especially if it gets pretty hot during summers there.

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
CPU+motherboard combo looks good. Although if you can find the Ryzen 3600 instead, then you should go for that. The 3600X has about 200 Mhz higher clockspeed but at higher power and temperature requirements. Although the box cooler of 3600X is better than the 3600 one, you could save a few bucks by going for the 3600. Still, that in no way means that the 3600X is bad. Both will easily last you 3-4 years at least.

For RAM, while the 3600 Mhz is a pretty good sweet spot for Ryzen CPUs, 3200 Mhz RAM should be more than enough for average computing+gaming needs. Framerate differences during gaming for 3600 vs. 3200 isn't very really noticeable, and a 3200 Mhz RAM kit should be cheaper than 3600. Unless you'll be doing very CPU-intensive work on your PC, go with 3200.

Storage options look good, although if I were you, I'd totally skip the mechanical drive and go all out on SSDs. It feels great to have everything on your PC be readily accessible as opposed to the warm-up lag that comes when you try to access something on the HDD after it's been put to sleep for power saving. It also makes your PC quieter. Also, since this motherboard has M.2 slots, you could go for an M.2 SSD drive as that'll mean fewer cables, better airflow and an overall cleaner look. Again, this is just a suggestion based on personal preference and not necessary if you can't afford it.

If you're only gonna be using only one 1080p monitor, then that GPU is gonna be overkill. Unless you plan on doing 4K gaming on this machine or if you'll be using a dual monitor setup, you wouldn't need a 5700XT. You'd be better off going for a 5600XT (if available) or an RTX 2060 Super. You may face some driver stability issues with the AMD GPUs while the Nvidia one should be relatively more stable, but at a cost.

If you really wanna get a 1080p monitor, then you might as well get one with a 144 Hz or 165 Hz refresh rate. It makes a huge difference over 60-75 Hz monitors and with a kickass GPU, you'll have one bloody smooth gaming experience.

As Dusey said, don't skimp on the PSU. Look up this PSU Tier list and pick one from B or B+ tier. The one on this list is pretty good and should be pretty efficient. And yes, cooling is important too, especially if it gets pretty hot during summers there.
Thank you SO much. Couple questions/observations:

- Price difference between 3600 Mhz and 3200 is just maybe 5-6$ so I went with higher speed. Is that worth it or should I go with 3200 anyway?
- Price diff bw 3600 and 3600x is only around 25$ and reviews I read on amazon, partpicker and newegg all go in favor of 3600x. Is the price diff worth it?
- I'd love to go all SSD, but they're REALLY expensive, especially m.2 here. 1TB m.2 is between 300-500$ depending on brand, but with today's games and their big size I need 2TB at least. I could buy a whole new PC for that. Right now for years I just had a 1TB HDD partitioned into 2 disks. The one for my system and other software besides games has 70GB free out of 240. So I figured I'd buy one 240GB or so SSD for that and games load times haven't been that slow for me on my HDD.
- 5600xt is 130$ cheaper than 5700xt although it has 6GB memory. How important is memory in the gpu or should I just look at the speed and price?
- 144hz monitors are the same as m.2 drives, incredibly expensive compared to 60hz. I never even played on 144hz so I don't know better. :D
- Thanks for the list, I've been looking for something like this.
- For my current build I don't have any fans in the case, just stock coolers for cpu and gpu. It does get hot and I had problems in the beginning where my PC would turn off because of the heat, but then I opened front side of the case and keep it like that all the time under the desk and it never happened again. The case I'm looking to buy now has one built-in fan + stock coolers for cpu and gpu. Should I get more?

Apr 15, 2006
Thank you SO much. Couple questions/observations:

- Price difference between 3600 Mhz and 3200 is just maybe 5-6$ so I went with higher speed. Is that worth it or should I go with 3200 anyway?
- Price diff bw 3600 and 3600x is only around 25$ and reviews I read on amazon, partpicker and newegg all go in favor of 3600x. Is the price diff worth it?
- I'd love to go all SSD, but they're REALLY expensive, especially m.2 here. 1TB m.2 is between 300-500$ depending on brand, but with today's games and their big size I need 2TB at least. I could buy a whole new PC for that. Right now for years I just had a 1TB HDD partitioned into 2 disks. The one for my system and other software besides games has 70GB free out of 240. So I figured I'd buy one 240GB or so SSD for that and games load times haven't been that slow for me on my HDD.
- 5600xt is 130$ cheaper than 5700xt although it has 6GB memory. How important is memory in the gpu or should I just look at the speed and price?
- 144hz monitors are the same as m.2 drives, incredibly expensive compared to 60hz. I never even played on 144hz so I don't know better. :D
- Thanks for the list, I've been looking for something like this.
- For my current build I don't have any fans in the case, just stock coolers for cpu and gpu. It does get hot and I had problems in the beginning where my PC would turn off because of the heat, but then I opened front side of the case and keep it like that all the time under the desk and it never happened again. The case I'm looking to buy now has one built-in fan + stock coolers for cpu and gpu. Should I get more?
For the RAM, for that small of a difference, 3600 is fine. As for the CPU, I'd say that the benefits will only be noticeable when there's no framerate cap like 60 fps and every bit of CPU power will help get more frames. I say it's not necessary to get the 3600X, but if you don't mind spending the extra $25 rather than spending that on another part, then go for it. I'll surely say that the CPU cooler on the X is better than the 3600, so yea.

I think it's unlikely that you'll have so many games installed on the hard disk at the same time to fill up that drive. :D But yea, I merely gave suggestions. But I think that with next gen consoles using SSD's too, I see the future of gaming being more optimized for SSDs, so you might start seeing the load times increase, or worse, texture pop-ins while playing a game cos texture data didn't get accessed and transferred fast enough. :D

6 GB VRAM is sufficient for 1080p gaming. You can easily max out your settings without running out of it. The 5700XT is mostly meant for gaming at 1440p resolution, so there's no point in getting it if you're only gaming at 1080p. That's like buying a Ferrari only to drive it at 60 mph. You might as well have got a Volvo. :D

Trust me, playing on a 144 Hz monitor is a HUGE game changer. Once you experience high-refresh rate/framerate gaming, you wouldn't be able to go back to 60 Hz and all console gaming will seem piss poor. I say, take the $130 that you save on the 5700XT and get a 144 Hz 1080p monitor. It's a MUCH better use of your money. Cos it absolutely makes NO sense to pair a 5700XT with a 1080p 60 Hz monitor. :D

For case fans, I think one intake fan up front and one exhaust fan at the back is a must. You need to have fresh air flowing in. I say yes, put 2 more fans up front and put the one that came with the case in the back. If you can't get 2 then minimum 1 up front. More airflow = lower speed of CPU & GPU fans = quieter system + better performance. :)

What are the pros and cons of Intel vs AMD?
Most of Intel's current CPUs are based on an older architecture, which means it draws more power and produces more heat leading you to spend more on cooling the CPU. Not to mention that Intel CPUs and related motherboards are generally more expensive than AMD, reducing their value for money. But Intel CPUs are generally faster (though not by much), especially if you plan to overclock it. AMD's Ryzen CPUs are generally much more efficient due to much better architecture, so much more power efficient and provide more cores+threads than Intel for the same money. They're also slightly better for productivity work. I say that unless you REALLY want the fastest processor on the market and don't mind paying a huge premium for it, AMD CPUs are the way to do. The Ryzen 5 3600 or 3600X are great value for money CPUs for gaming. You can go for the 8 core-16 thread Ryzen 3700 or 3800 if you're gonna be using it for heavy CPU workloads and time is essential.

Apr 17, 2013
I let it work all evening and still 91% blocked. I turned it off, once, twice, I had a black screen saying "Undoing changes made to your computer". 15 minutes after it restarted normally.
This is a Windows 10 update, version 1909. Installation failed - 0xc1900101.
I read on the internet that many had the same problem. Next time I will download directly from the windows site, no more automatic updates.

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
Anyone knows good resource for a 10-year-old kid to learn how to build up a pc? Would be nice if there is info about x86, 68x and stuff in a more or less simplified for kids way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)